Misakaman Rujavichai : Kalayanamitta At First Sight

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Misakaman Rujavichai : Kalayanamitta At First Sight

Postby tidathep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Sawaddee Ka :namaste:

:heart: Misakaman Rujavichai : Kalayanamitta At First Sight :heart:

Misakaman is quite well-known at Wat LuangTa Bua, she is a royal blood, they call her Khun-Ying(birth title 'Lady'). She stayed permanently at the wat..strictly observing 8 Precepts everyday. She always wears Upasika uniform.

The very first time I went to Wat LuangTa Bua by myself, arrived there in the afternoon. A monk told me to walk straight to the lady zone, and stayed at any kuti that I liked. There I met many upasikas, but when I saw Misakaman, it was like 'friend at first sight'...even better when she told me that she graduated from Chula Univ. the same year as Tep. She introduced me to a millionaire-lady who loved to come to do meritorious deeds at the wat..we did cook 'Roti' to give away to people who visited the wat on LuangTa Bua's birthday..so much fun ! Because of Misakaman..I knew many rich ladies who invited me to travel with them to many beautiful wats out of town..it was like good-deeds tour..we donated money to every temples we visited.

I didn't know much about staying at the wat, so when I went to take a bath at the big kuti, I wore a big towel walking around waiting for my turn to use the shower-place..all the old Thai upasikas there almost had heart attack..the rumor spreaded like wild-fire..they called me 'Texas-wild-lady'..Oh, Misakaman and other 2 friends laughed so much !! I became a big joke..they forbade me to wear shorts and tank-tops..said not appropriate even when sleeping...oh so hot there, no air-conditioning room, no electricity, no phone, no fridge etc. I had to use candles at night..oh, the first 2 nights were so unbearable. Misakaman always adviced me to do things properly..even asked me to stay with her..but her private kuti was so small..so I chose to stay with the old ladies at the big kuti, they might think I was wild, but they were very kind/nice to me. They were retired-professors and they treated me like their student.

Every morning, we went out of the wat, standing in line on the road to give alms-food to LuangTa Bua and all his 44 monks. After we ate our 1 meal/day, Misakaman introduced me to Bhikkhu Panya(English) and Bhikkhu Dick(American). In the afternoon, a few upasikas made lemonade/fruit juice Thai style..I helped Misakaman picking some fruits from the trees around the kutis.

Ma-fai tree

Jackfruit tree

Within one week there, I became a proper upasika..wearing white long pants/white top..and able to sleep at night in a Thai tent..eating 1 meal/day..with happy/peaceful heart.

When time to go back to Bangkok..Misakaman asked her rich friend to take me to the bus-station..old upasikas even told me to come back again..I thought..may be they didn't mind my wild behavior after all.

Love Misakaman(now she posts @Facebook very often)
tidathep :heart:
tidathep

Re: Misakaman Rujavichai : Kalayanamitta At First Sight

Postby tidathep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Sawaddee Ka :hi:

This beautiful/cold Friday is Uposatha Day and also Devorohana Day in Thailand.

Devorohana(เทโวโรหน) Day : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbNlwfKGCw8

When I was young, my family sometimes went together to Wat Chinoros on Devorohana Day with food/desserts/robes/lotus flowers. It was a tradition for this wat to display the Buddha-figure(may be made of plastic..[like mannequin] on the top of a big tree with a cable that could bring down the Buddha slowly as if coming down from heaven(just like in the Dhammapada story). And people would stand in line to give alms-food in the Buddha's bowl(someone would take the food out and put the food in a very big bowls/trays..so other people could put food into the Buddha's bowl again and again).

As a kid, I was so impressed and so happy to be there, after alms-food giving...we would sit inside the big sala to listen to the monks'chanting 3-4 Phra-Gathas...after the monks'blessing...The monks would lead us/people to walk around the temple 3 times with lotus-flowers/candle/incenses in our hands quietly..we supposed to chant 'Buddho' in our minds while walking. My mom gave a lot of money to help building the temple's new beautiful decorative gate. I think my mom might has her own bling-bling vimana with celestial garden in heaven right now, she passed away years ago.

tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Return to Personal Experience