Q; Myanmar Visa / Pa Auk Monastery

Anything goes (almost).

Q; Myanmar Visa / Pa Auk Monastery

Postby KonchokZoepa » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi, I am planning to go to Pa Auk Monastery to meditate as a lay yogi, not trying to ordain and become a monk.

Does anyone here know about the visa situation in Myanmar concerning being a meditator in a monastery the whole time.

My information is that first you enter with a three month meditation visa that you can get through the sponsorship letter of Pa Auk forest monastery. and after that you can extend your stay somehow to get granted time max 12 months so 1 year.

anyway my wish and plan to is first to try out the 1 year but most likely since i want to actually achieve shamatha and also train in vipashyana i would like to spend there 2-3 years.

is this possible? can you renew the year long visa and get a new year added to that and new year added to that ?

Thanks for the help already.

:anjali:
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Re: Q; Myanmar Visa / Pa Auk Monastery

Postby JKhedrup » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Visa: Entry into Myanmar requires a visa. For short stay of up to 28 days, you can apply for a tourist visa or an entry visa. If you plan to stay at Pa-Auk Forest Monastery for more than one month, you will need to apply for a Myanmar three-month meditation visa, as a 28-day tourist visa and a 28-day entry visa can no longer be extended. Please check with the Myanmar Embassy in your home country to see if they will issue a three-month meditation visa to you. If this is not possible, you may wish to check with another Myanmar Embassy – for example, the Embassy in Singapore – to see what type of visa they will issue to you. To apply for a meditation visa, you will need a Pa-Auk Sponsorship Letter, which can be obtained through a Pa-Auk Contact Person or by writing to the Monastery (Please refer to Residence Application).

For the latest news on visa applications and extensions, please contact Daw Amy at attbbpp@myanmar.com.mm. Contact information for the Myanmar Embassy in Singapore is listed below:

Singapore
Embassy of the Union of Myanmar
15 St Martin’s Drive, Singapore 257996
Tel: (65) 67350209 • Fax: (65) 67356236
Open: 9:30 am - 12:30 pm, Monday – Friday

Those wishing to stay longer than 3 months must apply for a "Foreigner Registration Certificate" (FRC). Extension of stay beyond the initial visa period may be applied for with an existing meditation visa; extension of up to 12 months may be granted (although the extension actually granted may be shorter than that). It is to be noted that the regulations pertaining to visa do change from time to time, and the fee and the period granted for visa extension may vary consequently. If your stay in Myanmar exceeds I month, a “Departure Form” has to be completed and submitted on leaving the country.

http://www.paaukforestmonastery.org/other_info.htm
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby KonchokZoepa » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:37 pm

yes i have read this. like i also wrote, basically its saying that its possible up to twelve months. my question was can you extend that with another year and then another year...?
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Postby JKhedrup » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 pm

I have a friend, a German nun who has lived there for a three year period. She simply extended the visa every year. I cannot remember if after three years she was forced to renew from Germany and returned there because of that. I would contact her but internet access is difficult at Pa Auk (probably a good thing for the meditators :tongue: )
Last edited by JKhedrup on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby KonchokZoepa » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 pm

oh nice. so it is possible.

would it be possible to share her contact with me through some pathway, it would be nice to talk to her about Pa Auk. :anjali:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Return to Lounge