YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Anyone tried Salvia divinorum before? - Dhamma Wheel

Anyone tried Salvia divinorum before?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Buddha

Anyone tried Salvia divinorum before?

Postby Buddha » Mon May 21, 2012 6:13 pm

If so can someone tell me a little about this plant im intending to try it very soon :candle:

P.S:

thanks for all the replays guys.

But i think that i forgot to mention some things out:

1. im not going to smoke salvia :rofl: im going to eat it,i dont like smoking,and i never had smoked before.
2. i have pretty damn good self discipline,im not under the spell of capitalism,im wearing same old closes from 6 grade,i dont buy new things,and i live of some vegetables. Im used on modesty,Althu im living in a family that everything could be given to me.So im not filling that i should try other drugs to. Im actually not interested at them at all. I was given to try weed like 7 times i always said no.
3. Im living in mountain town small mountain town behind all civilization, and i love to walk on the mountains that surround our valley,and im going to try salvia on a mountain i was thinking on altitude about 1000 meters.I have all planet out,one friend is coming with me,we are going to be on one huge meadow with an awesome view. Im also going to have my music with me and im going to play some fusion jazz or some progressive rock-psychedelic or just Beatles when im going to be "tripping". So nothing can go wrong.

Im not worried about anything,also thanks again for all your long replays

:anjali: :anjali:
Last edited by Buddha on Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without

Reductor

Re: Anyone tried Salvia divinorum before?

Postby Reductor » Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Why?

bodom

Postby bodom » Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm

What are you hoping to gain by taking this hallucinogenic drug? I have done my fair share of legal and illegal drugs and will save you a lot of time and trouble and tell you right now that intoxicants are incompatible with Buddhist practice. The fifth precept was put in place by the Buddha for a reason.

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Buddha

Postby Buddha » Mon May 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Buddha

Postby Buddha » Mon May 21, 2012 7:57 pm

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Salvia is legal in my area and I've tried it. It's certainly interesting, but like all phenomena, it's not going to be satisfying, and craving for it will only lead to suffering.

Try the jhanas instead =]
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 pm

I did. It's not worth anything. It will learn you nothing.

BTW, if you do decide to try it out, make sure someone is nearby to watch you. (and doesn't use it)

seeker242

Postby seeker242 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm

befriend

Postby befriend » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

intoxicants darken the mind. when people are on drugs they blame the drugs for there behavior, they should blame themselves when they decide to take the drug beforehand. taking the drug there is already blame. i read somewhere that tobacco and marijuana came to this realm from maras making wrong prayers to keep meditators from the path. dont know if thats true or not but the middle path buddha taught is about not indulging in pleasure or indulging in pain (revenge, anger) but being mindful. if you want to grow get some discipline sit on your cushion when you dont want to, bite your tongue when you want to say something mean, be mindful all day, count no possession as your own, then you will grow and get cumulative results.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Mon May 21, 2012 11:45 pm

I've tried it.. It's about as fun as falling into a hole in the ground. I got nothing meaningful out of the few times I did it. It's interesting only to see the very odd, instantaneous tearing of the world, but that's about it. I recall each trip having the mantra 'God, I hate salvia.' I don't recommend it.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

manas

Postby manas » Tue May 22, 2012 2:13 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

manas

Postby manas » Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 am

Hi Buddha,

just thought I should add,

I wasn't trying to be glib, and I'm not being holier-than-thou, in case it appears that way; because I was a fool in the past, sometimes smoking weed, thinking I could use it to aid meditation, even. But in the end, it actually undermined sati-sampajanna, recollection and clear awareness. I had just enough mindfulness left, to notice how crappy my mindfulness had become. :embarassed:

It really is out of concern, that your dhamma friends advise you to seek pleasure within, rather than by using an external agent. Even if salvia is less harmful or addictive than weed, when the experience is over, when the trip has come and gone, where will you be?

take care

:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 am

On second thoughts

:toilet:
Last edited by polarbear101 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

manas

Postby manas » Tue May 22, 2012 8:12 am

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 am

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

hornets

Postby hornets » Tue May 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I wouldn't bother old chap. My experience many years ago--- Ten minutes of confusion, sweating, and feeling really itchy. Followed by hours of melancholic introspection along the lines of 'What did I do that for?' plus a banging headache. I onced sniffed glue at school with some of the 'cool' older kids and it was about as rubbish and pointless as that.

Just from personal experience, drugs just drug you. Some fizz your mind up, some distort perception, some kill pain and all drugs merely kill time. I didn't realise how utterly pointless cannabis was until I stopped smoking it.

SDC

Postby SDC » Tue May 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Tue May 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Have you ever taken a psychadelic drug and had a "profound insight" only to forget what the insight was once you come down? I have. This is because you never really had an insight. Instead, the drug flooded your brain with seratonin and dopamine, and the parts of your brain associated with inspiration, reward, and imagination get all fired up and happy. It makes you feel like something important happened, when really you just artificially flooded you brain with chemicals. Sad but true.

Even Baba Ram Das, known for living on acid with Timothy Leary back in the day, warns people not to take psychadelics for spiritual progress. It is mearly an illusion. Read his book "Be Here Now Remember" for a good account of how and why psychadelics are not the answer from somebody who really knows a lot about psychadelics. (you only have to read the first section that is autobiographical).
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Tue May 22, 2012 5:19 pm

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Return to “Lounge”