Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
Posts: 683
Does anyone know a good natural material for stringing a māla? Something that will not break or stretch easily (would undoubtedly require pre-stretching, which is expected). What were malas typically strung with before we had nylon? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:41 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Greece
dakini_boi wrote:
Does anyone know a good natural material for stringing a māla? Something that will not break or stretch easily (would undoubtedly require pre-stretching, which is expected). What were malas typically strung with before we had nylon? Thanks.
Silk thread. Silk is REALLY strong. I know: it's not vegetarian, blah... blah... blah...

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
Posts: 683
But doesn't it wear down pretty easily with the friction from the beads?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 1355
Sherab Dorje wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:
Does anyone know a good natural material for stringing a māla? Something that will not break or stretch easily (would undoubtedly require pre-stretching, which is expected). What were malas typically strung with before we had nylon? Thanks.
Silk thread. Silk is REALLY strong. I know: it's not vegetarian, blah... blah... blah...
There is ways to produce silk without killing the worms

_________________
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 pm
Posts: 130
Konchog1 wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:
Does anyone know a good natural material for stringing a māla? Something that will not break or stretch easily (would undoubtedly require pre-stretching, which is expected). What were malas typically strung with before we had nylon? Thanks.
Silk thread. Silk is REALLY strong. I know: it's not vegetarian, blah... blah... blah...
There is ways to produce silk without killing the worms


Are there any silk producers that use such a method?

_________________
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 1355
practitioner wrote:
Are there any silk producers that use such a method?
I believe so, but its likely to be hard to find and expensive.

_________________
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Greece
dakini_boi wrote:
But doesn't it wear down pretty easily with the friction from the beads?
Not really. My only problem with silk was one time the ants discovered my mala and they ate the silk thread!!! Apart from that it has a much better tolerance to friction than cotton thread does. Waxed cotton is also a good/strong natural material. For heavier (ie stone bead) mala, or those with small holed beads (higher friction) I tend to tie knots between each bead. Malas threaded in this fashion NEVER break.

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
Posts: 683
Thank you, I am looking into death-free silk cord.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm
Posts: 1358
i think the insects the silk came from would benefit hugely if you would use normal silk. becoming part of deitys speech.

_________________
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 2552
' Ahimsa silk ' is made from the empty cocoons of the silk moth caterpillar AFTER they have pupated and become adult moths. Unlike ordinary silk which is made by boiling the cocoons with the caterpillars inside.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:52 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Greece
Simon E. wrote:
' Ahimsa silk ' is made from the empty cocoons of the silk moth caterpillar AFTER they have pupated and become adult moths.
Cool! I wasn't aware of this technique.

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 2552
I didn't either until recently. If you google 'Ahima Silk ' a couple of outlets come up.

:namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 am
Posts: 217
Thin strips of leather used to be used typically..
Also different animal fur yarns or strings.

I imagine they used guts also in Tibet(I forget the technical term for gut string), but that is just my speculation. Guts that have been stretched out and waxed are an ideal natural mala string so I can't imagine Tibetans not making use of it.

_________________
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am
Posts: 993
catgut

_________________
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm
Posts: 85
We happened to have a nice roll of black hemp string at my house. Wonderful stuff!
It doesn't stretch and is really strong.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
Posts: 683
dimeo wrote:
We happened to have a nice roll of black hemp string at my house. Wonderful stuff!
It doesn't stretch and is really strong.


Do you know what brand it is? The hemp string I used stretched a lot rather quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 am
Posts: 173
I don't know what you're considering natural or not, but I made mine with steel string, and it has yet to break with years of use.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 am
Posts: 217
ClearblueSky wrote:
I don't know what you're considering natural or not, but I made mine with steel string, and it has yet to break with years of use.


Wow, I never considered that. What is this steel string exactly though? Do you have to use really big beads?

_________________
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 am
Posts: 173
disjointed wrote:
ClearblueSky wrote:
I don't know what you're considering natural or not, but I made mine with steel string, and it has yet to break with years of use.


Wow, I never considered that. What is this steel string exactly though? Do you have to use really big beads?

It's a bodhi seed mala, so the holes aren't huge, but I would say they're bigger than some other types of bead. If there's a store with it near you, you could maybe bring in your beads and see what will fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group