YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buddhism Fundamentalism? - Page 8 - Dhamma Wheel

Buddhism Fundamentalism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Travis

Re: Buddhism Fundamentalism?

Postby Travis » Sun May 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Last edited by Travis on Sun May 20, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun May 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Back to the OP I think there are two primary definitions of fundamentalism; one is a strong attachment to a view, but the other and the definition I prefer is one who holds rigidly to the literal word of scripture.

We see this in Buddhism as well as in other religions. Some will take the literal words of the passages in the Suttas and other Buddhist writings and just like creationists, still cling to them even after there might be scientific evidence showing that it is not possible. Two examples are talking nagas, the 32 marks of a great man.

Some will use a fundamentalist-literal reading for example, to deny women to fully ordain as bhikkhunis when there are many passages and teachings which convey the spirit of the teachings and of course encourage the holy life for all, including women. But a fundamentalist (in my opinion) will hold that all that matters is the literal word; they completely ignore the spirit of the teachings.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:15 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

manas

Postby manas » Sun May 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Last edited by manas on Sun May 20, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun May 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi manas,

Good post. I wouldn't consider being open to such things a fundamentalist. It is more along the line of those who insist on some literal things and where it can be a detriment to normal dialogue or to the rest of the community in some way, such as the case with the bhikkhuni issue.

I was somewhat skeptical about beings passing through walls and other super normal feats in the past, but found out that scientists are actually working on experiments where they have observed tiny, tiny particles passing through solid objects. An open mind is good.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Travis

Postby Travis » Sun May 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 am

_/|\_

alan

Postby alan » Mon May 21, 2012 6:14 pm

The Sutta is clear, it's meaning is obvious. Anyone can read it! Why, then is this even an issue?
I don't see any point of debate.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Are you sure? How about the one that says whatsoever is well-spoken is the word of the Tathagata? (Uttaravipatti Sutta)

How about the advice to Kalamas?

I don't sense this kind of a literalism from ready the Sutta Pitaka elsewhere. As was often be the case, the teaching was probably given as a response to a situation.

It seems kind of strange that first you ask to "Discuss" and then you say that there is "no point in debate". I am lost.
_/|\_

alan

Postby alan » Tue May 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Sorry, Dan, I should have been more clear. When I said 'discuss" I was meaning something along the lines of
'think about the ramifications of misunderstanding this". Or 'Isn't this such an obvious thing that there is really no way to deny it?". I should have written a longer, more specific post, keeping my audience in mind.
Not familiar with the Uttaravipatti Sutta, but I can speak to the idea that the teachings should be taken in context. Not all teachings are given in response to a situation: some of them are direct statements. That's why, for all the obvious differences between traditions, we can all agree on a few basic things. You can call me a fundamentalist: I'm of the opinion that if the Buddha makes a direct statement, it should be considered as the truth. When he elaborates, and points out specifically why you should do this, but not do that, I'll take it as true. Don't misinterpret my words, he said. Ok. I'll accept that as a definite, not something up to debate.

As for the Kalamas, yes, that was in response to a situation. But the meaning is not entirely clear, not enough is known about the background. It is way too often used to support viewpoints that are otherwise contradicted in the Suttas.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for clarifying, alan.
_/|\_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”