Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm
Posts: 260
M.G. wrote:
"All paths are included in Dzogchen. There is tsa-lung for example."

In principle, sure, but various systems emphasize and have developed certain paths in different and greater or lesser ways than others.


Well Sarma paths don't have path of self liberation so much as Nyingma. Gelugs deny path of self liberation. But Nyingma has everything to a complete degree. One can make tummo one's main practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
invisiblediamond wrote:
M.G. wrote:
"All paths are included in Dzogchen. There is tsa-lung for example."

In principle, sure, but various systems emphasize and have developed certain paths in different and greater or lesser ways than others.


Well Sarma paths don't have path of self liberation so much as Nyingma. Gelugs deny path of self liberation. But Nyingma has everything to a complete degree. One can make tummo one's main practice.


I was thinking more about Buddhist vs non-Buddhist lineages.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm
Posts: 260
M.G. wrote:
invisiblediamond wrote:
M.G. wrote:
"All paths are included in Dzogchen. There is tsa-lung for example."

In principle, sure, but various systems emphasize and have developed certain paths in different and greater or lesser ways than others.


Well Sarma paths don't have path of self liberation so much as Nyingma. Gelugs deny path of self liberation. But Nyingma has everything to a complete degree. One can make tummo one's main practice.


I was thinking more about Buddhist vs non-Buddhist lineages.

Buddhist take subtle body methods much farther. The two don't compare. I hope you get a chance to experience it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
"Buddhist take subtle body methods much farther. The two don't compare. I hope you get a chance to experience it."

I've studied both and reached different conclusions. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 468
M.G. wrote:
I'd say that recognizing the state of natural awareness would benefit everyone, but I wouldn't say that Dzogchen is the best path for everyone.


I would tend to agree. What you call the natural state is irrelevant.

Specific dzogchen practices may not be for everyone, and certainly being a member of the Dzogchen Community is not a prerequisite for anything. My use of terminology includes saying things like "dzogchen is your natural state" and to parrot my teacher i would say "dzogchen is not a tradition", etc.

I am reluctant to say much more however for fear of getting into a terminology tussle. Such things are useless, imo.

:shrug:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am
Posts: 3043
Snowid wrote:

This is Huge Limitation.


Hello Snowid,

Even many books and texts are free to read, the meaning remains hidden for us, if all is consumed literary by the conceptual mind. Our conceptual mind is actually the limitation.

An Awaken One, has skills to use methods for us, to reveal the Nature of Mind which has no limitations. Therefore there are the Masters in Dzogchen. :namaste:

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNUVd4


Last edited by muni on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 216
Quote:
How secret is the teaching at this point?

I cant tell You
because its secret.

_________________
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
I don't have a definitive answer but I think there's legitimate room to question whether secrecy is needed regarding the dharma in today's world. Lots of the secrets are already available anyway, and honestly, I think in a multireligious society where Buddhists are a small minority most people are basically indifferent to a lot of the material.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 pm
Posts: 860
I don't think anything related to view is embargoed as secret, but ChNNR was just explaining why thogal and yangti teachings (which are practices) need to be secret: without a firm foundation of thekcho, one will fall into dualism vision if one does thogal and it will be finished for this lifetime in terms of possibility of realization. so, these should not be taught openly without the student first being appraised by the teacher as to their level of understanding. it is to protect the student, not a control thing.

_________________
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
gad rgyangs wrote:
I don't think anything related to view is embargoed as secret, but ChNNR was just explaining why thogal and yangti teachings (which are practices) need to be secret: without a firm foundation of thekcho, one will fall into dualism vision if one does thogal and it will be finished for this lifetime in terms of possibility of realization. so, these should not be taught openly without the student first being appraised by the teacher as to their level of understanding. it is to protect the student, not a control thing.


I understand the argument, but certainly in today's world, lots of what I would consider much more dangerous knowledge is easily accessible. Togal instructions are already publically available in English; its not totally irrational to say that perhaps a different understanding of how spiritual practices should be conveyed is appropriate.

That said, I'm not a Dzogchenpo, so I don't want to go around telling practitioners how Dzogchen should be taught.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm
Posts: 260
The only real secrets left are tantric. The highest secrets are open. It's weird.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:20 am 
Online
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Greece
invisiblediamond wrote:
Well Sarma paths don't have path of self liberation so much as Nyingma.
Mahamudra?

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:33 am
Posts: 473
Because Rigpa is beyond cause and effect.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:06 am 
Online

Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am
Posts: 2193
wisdom wrote:
Because Rigpa is beyond cause and effect.

a.k.a "transcendent".

_________________
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:32 am 
Online

Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am
Posts: 2193
Quote:
Well Sarma paths don't have path of self liberation so much as Nyingma.

Here in the West Dzogchen has been much more widely and successfully marketed than Mahamudra has.

Quote:
Gelugs deny path of self liberation.

Gelugpas tend to be very secretive about secretive practices, so I'm not sure that's so.

_________________
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am
Posts: 993
smcj wrote:
wisdom wrote:
Because Rigpa is beyond cause and effect.

a.k.a "transcendent".


I disagree on this point, but the open dharma forum is probably not the place for such a technical debate.

_________________
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 2552
Snowid wrote:
I would like to share with you my own thoughts/discover about Dzogchen.
Lot has been said about the fact that in Dzogchen
the most important is get rid of own limitations,right?
If so
what for all these secrets and prohibitions talk?
Do not talk to anyone,even with other students of Dzogchen
If you ask someone for something, you break samaya and then
you lose ability to achieve realization in this life.

This is Huge Limitation.

With respect, the fact that you perceive it as a huge limitation does not mean that you have been misinformed.
Sometimes its 'ready... fire ! ...aim '

:namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
wisdom wrote:
Because Rigpa is beyond cause and effect.


Sure, but practitioners develop the facility to rest in natural awareness through practice.

Its probably correct to say that in some sense Dzogchen is causal and in some sense not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
invisiblediamond wrote:
The only real secrets left are tantric. The highest secrets are open. It's weird.


I think there's a stronger argument for keeping tantric practices secret, but at this point in time I'm not sure secrecy is merited there, either. Realistically, what would happen if it all opened up? We've already got hordes of charlatans and "tantric" frauds anyway. Maybe if it was all out in the open there would be more honesty and better understanding of the teachings. Just a thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am
Posts: 2193
futerko wrote:
smcj wrote:
wisdom wrote:
Because Rigpa is beyond cause and effect.

a.k.a "transcendent".

I disagree on this point, but the open dharma forum is probably not the place for such a technical debate.

It's just semantics.
transcend, tr.v.:
1a. to rise above or go beyond the limits of
1b. to triumph over the negative or restrictive aspects of: overcome
1c. to be prior to, beyond, and above (the universe or material existence)

I was using the term in the sense of 1c., which I think is accurate. We are saying Rigpa is "beyond cause and effect", which is what the material universe consists of. However the connotation usually associated with "transcendent" is misleading in this context, which is that it is inaccessible or unattainable. Rigpa is accessible and attainable--or at least so I'm told!

Come to think of it, definitions 1a. and 1b. seem like they could be used too, but in a more poetic and literary way.

_________________
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: conebeckham, heart and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group