"Today I was enlightened"

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: "Today I was enlightened"

Postby M.G. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 pm

"You're going to call all the tribes of Shaivite Sadhu babas lazy slackers?"

My friends in India tell me the ratio of slacker potheads to serious yogis among the sadhu crowd tilts unfavorably.
M.G.

Postby Adamantine » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:05 pm

M.G. wrote:"You're going to call all the tribes of Shaivite Sadhu babas lazy slackers?"

My friends in India tell me the ratio of slacker potheads to serious yogis among the sadhu crowd tilts unfavorably.

How do your friends know how to discern a slacker pothead from a serious yogi? Many of the babas smoke their chillums as an offering to Shiva, praising him with the out breath. I met a few good hearted yogi babas on their pilgrimage to Muktinath...along the way they would gather their ganja from the wild batches growing all along the sides of the mountains. One of them had a small monkey friend who lived on his back. They didn't strike me to be anything like the stoner slackers we know too well in the USA. I enjoyed their view of "the world is my home", with no need for a permanent shelter.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby xabir » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Nothing wrote:
xabir wrote:The Advaita traditions sees identification of Self with Brahman (Consciousness/Awareness/etc) as Enlightenment and liberation. It is spiritual enlightenment to them because one realizes one's true Self, source and substratum of the universe.

What does that mean?.....anyone?

Like a river flowing into the ocean, the sense of an individual self dissolves into nothingness. When a practitioner becomes thoroughly clear about the illusionary nature of the individuality, subject-object division does not take place. A person experiencing “AMness” will find “AMness in everything”. What is it like?

Being freed from individuality -- coming and going, life and death, all phenomenon merely pop in and out from the background of the AMness. The AMness is not experienced as an ‘entity’ residing anywhere, neither within nor without; rather it is experienced as the ground reality for all phenomenon to take place. Even in the moment of subsiding (death), the yogi is thoroughly authenticated with that reality; experiencing the ‘Real’ as clear as it can be. We cannot lose that AMness; rather all things can only dissolve and re-emerges from it. The AMness has not moved, there is no coming and going. This "AMness" is seen as God, Brahman, the source and substratum of the universe.

This "true self" or "AMness" should not be mistaken as Buddha-nature, although it often is. Although the luminous clarity is discerned/realized, its empty nature is not.
xabir

Postby M.G. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Adamantine wrote:
M.G. wrote:"You're going to call all the tribes of Shaivite Sadhu babas lazy slackers?"

How do your friends know how to discern a slacker pothead from a serious yogi? Many of the babas smoke their chillums as an offering to Shiva, praising him with the out breath. I met a few good hearted yogi babas on their pilgrimage to Muktinath...along the way they would gather their ganja from the wild batches growing all along the sides of the mountains. One of them had a small monkey friend who lived on his back. They didn't strike me to be anything like the stoner slackers we know too well in the USA. I enjoyed their view of "the world is my home", with no need for a permanent shelter.

I was just actually having some fun with my comment on slackers. Honestly, I've always rather liked Shaivite iconography.
M.G.

Postby xabir » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 pm

M.G. wrote:'This individual skirts this issue by creatively re-defining what Buddhism means in order to account for his or her mastery of it. Here's a summary of this sort of thinking:

*what I have experienced is Arhatship (or Buddhahood or whatever term is used)

*any differences between my descriptions of my experience or my claims and traditional accounts or doctrines reflects errors in those traditions
(shorter: Buddhism is the problem, not my own shortcomings)

*my redefinition of Arhatship (or whatever term) amounts to a modernization and positive intervention--those who do not follow me are by definition living in the past or worse

:coffee:

It's not easy to communicate under these circumstances.'
Is Daniel M. Ingram here? :shock:
xabir

Postby disjointed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 pm

lol this thread
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Postby wisdom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Simon E. wrote:In your view do the ants know that they do ?

No, but who knows whats possible? Stories of animals being liberated is enough to convince me that the same thing could happen with a bug too. Since Im not capable of liberating animals or bugs I dont really know though. I do know that the same Buddha mind we are able to recognize is also shared by those beings as well, whether or not they are aware of it. In the same way I might not be aware of the Buddha nature right now, but it doesn't mean its not there.
wisdom

Postby greentara » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:22 am

Adamantine, A relative of mine went to Muktinath in '99 along a narrow mule track. The first few days the vista was lush and then it started to look like a moonscape.
He had a guide by the name of Babu Ram, a wonderful man, modest and unassuming. It took them 5 days to get from Pokhara to Muktinath and he has wonderful memories of the trek.
greentara

Postby Adamantine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 am

greentara wrote:Adamantine, A relative of mine went to Muktinath in '99 along a narrow mule track. The first few days the vista was lush and then it started to look like a moonscape.
He had a guide by the name of Babu Ram, a wonderful man, modest and unassuming. It took them 5 days to get from Pokhara to Muktinath and he has wonderful memories of the trek.

Yeah I must have been there in '97, same trek.
The moonscape is because 1. He may have hit the Kali Gandaki Gorge
which is where all those shaligrams come from that the vaishnavites
worship and/or 2. All the local villagers had used too much of the trees for
firewood since that's the fuel the still used for cooking.
There's some special trees in Muktinath though that you can keep
taking the limbs from and they grow back quickly and they had
plans to plant many many more-- I hope that's come to
fruition.

I didn't have a guide I just went solo but I made friends with a few guides along the
way..wouldn't recognize the names one could've been Babu Ram!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Dan74 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:58 pm

xabir wrote:
This "true self" or "AMness" should not be mistaken as Buddha-nature, although it often is. Although the luminous clarity is discerned/realized, its empty nature is not.

Hello xabir and thank you for posting.

Would you have some references that explore this point you made more deeply?

Much appreciated!

_/|\_
Dan74

Postby xabir » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Dan74 wrote:
xabir wrote:

Hello xabir and thank you for posting.

Would you have some references that explore this point you made more deeply?

Much appreciated!

_/|\_
Ok...

A thorough comparison between the emptiness view of Madhyamika and the view of Vedanta by the Archaya Mahayogi Shridhar Rana Rinpoche: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com. ... hindu.html

From a more experiential perspective:

Writings by my friend/mentor Thusness:

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com. ... mness.html
http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/ ... ience.html

By Soto Zen priest and teacher Alex R. Weith:

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com. ... sutta.html

Joel Agee:

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com. ... -self.html

My own journal (warning: super lengthy):

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/ ... urnal.html
xabir

Postby Dan74 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Thank you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Will take me some time to read and process this.
Dan74

Postby lobster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:12 am

disjointed wrote:Anyone else have stories?

:woohoo:

More stories required?
Wonderful stories of what is, who is etc
Certainly gets my vote.
No rest for the sleeping or the awake . . . and now back to the dancing :woohoo:
lobster

Previous

Return to Open Dharma