reference to devas, rebirth and karma in the pali canon

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

reference to devas, rebirth and karma in the pali canon

Postby TaTa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey. I here to ask you a favor.
I was debating about secular buddhism with a friend and he ask me if i could show him some references about the buddha talking about this """mistical"""" stuff. Would any sutra expert give me a hand?. Thanks
TaTa

Re: reference to devas, rebirth and karma in the pali canon

Postby KonchokZoepa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

well, many of the sutras are taking place in tryastrimsa heaven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trāyastriṃśa

i dont know if this count as mystical and i am not a sutra expert anyways but good luck.

also this there is some ''mystical stuff'' in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXSfQL4n7I

i think every story of the ksitigarbha sutra is in that movie of the sutra.

there are hell beings and mystical powers of arahants and bodhisattvas, and one chapter in trayastrimsa heaven.

also the usnisa vijaya sutra, there is a story about God's asking help from buddha.

then you can also get information by buying '' the sutra of the wise and foolish '' which is part of the jataka tales, which talk about karma at least in terms of buddhas previous lives and show some connection between cause and effect.
KonchokZoepa

Postby seeker242 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45 pm

The Thirty-one Planes of Existence
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... /loka.html

Has descriptions and references to all the various suttas.

:namaste:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby plwk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 pm

References to devas...some samples
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

References on 'rebirth', some samples
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

References on kamma, some samples
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
plwk

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 pm

TaTa wrote:Hey. I here to ask you a favor.
I was debating about secular buddhism with a friend and he ask me if i could show him some references about the buddha talking about this """mistical"""" stuff. Would any sutra expert give me a hand?. Thanks

Start with The Dhammapada, easy reading, stuff about hell realms, karma, rebirth, devas and all kinds of "mystical" stuff. Granted things like Devas are mostly mentioned in passing...but it's plenty "mystical", and the most accessible quick read of the Pali Canon that i've been exposed to.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/

He's gonna lose miserably if he thinks he can debate that the historical Buddha (near as we know) never talked about stuff like that, it's all over the Pali stuff.

some examples:

15. The evil-doer grieves here and hereafter; he grieves in both the worlds. He laments and is afflicted, recollecting his own impure deeds.

16. The doer of good rejoices here and hereafter; he rejoices in both the worlds. He rejoices and exults, recollecting his own pure deeds.

17. The evil-doer suffers here and hereafter; he suffers in both the worlds. The thought, "Evil have I done," torments him, and he suffers even more when gone to realms of woe.

44. Who shall overcome this earth, this realm of Yama and this sphere of men and gods? Who shall bring to perfection the well-taught path of wisdom as an expert garland-maker would his floral design?

69. So long as an evil deed has not ripened, the fool thinks it as sweet as honey. But when the evil deed ripens, the fool comes to grief.

71. Truly, an evil deed committed does not immediately bear fruit, like milk that does not turn sour all at once. But smoldering, it follows the fool like fire covered by ashes.

In fact, the Dhammapada has an entire section on Hell, so here ya go:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Well, the first 2 samyuttas of the Samyutta Nikaya are called devatasamyutta and devaputtasamyutta, "Connected Discourses with Devatas" and "Connected Discourses with Young Devas", respectively, in Bodhi's translation.
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
dzogchungpa

Return to Open Dharma