What have you learnt from Buddha?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

What have you learnt from Buddha?

Postby kuroda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Okay this is an open topic everyone write here what has he learnt from Buddha and how it has changed his life.

for me when I assured that we become our thoughts or what we are thinking will be real because it happened many times with me and it changed me and made me see my life with a new vision with hope and love

:hi:
We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
-Buddha
kuroda

Re: What have you learnt from Buddha?

Postby tidathep » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:28 am

kuroda wrote:Okay this is an open topic everyone write here what has he learnt from Buddha and how it has changed his life.

for me when I assured that we become our thoughts or what we are thinking will be real because it happened many times with me and it changed me and made me see my life with a new vision with hope and love

:hi:

-------
Sawaddee Ka,

I've learnt so much from the Buddha :reading: ....and I try to practice:

To do good
Not to do evil
To purify my mind

tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Postby shaunc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 am

All things are impermanent. The 5 precepts & the noble 8 fold path. To be completely honest, I don't feel as though anything I've learned about Buddhism has been without merit, but I have read plenty of stuff that is too complex for me to understand. My next assignment is to try & learn the 18 vows of the boddhisatva & hopefully be able to implement at least a few of them into my life.
Good-luck & best-wishes with your own endeavours along this path. :buddha2:
shaunc

Postby plwk » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 pm

When eating, eat. When sleeping, sleep.
plwk

Postby Jainarayan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Mindfulness, especially of the Eightfold Path, the Six Perfections and the Five Precepts; compassion; non-attachment and impermanence; question things (I'm a born skeptic anyway). Some days are harder than others to adhere to these.
Worthy, wise and virtuous: Who is energetic and not indolent, in misfortune unshaken,
flawless in manner and intelligent, such one will honor gain. - Digha Nikaya III 273
Jainarayan

Postby ClearblueSky » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:34 am

To me, everything can be summed up in the 4 noble truths. I've learned so many specific things, but the most important to me is being reminded that everyone is suffering, everyone wants to be relieved from suffering, and there's actually things that we can do to help reduce our suffering. Nothing makes me happier.
ClearblueSky

Postby shaunc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:47 am

We can learn from everyone. It's not so much what happens but how you look at it. Today one of our budgies escaped from it's cage while I was changing their food & water. Naturally I was not too happy about this, my 4 year old daughter said "I wonder if he'll make friends with the other birds in the bush" & then, answering her own question said "I think he will he's a very nice bird". He was a nice bird too, pure yellow.
shaunc

Postby smcj » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:31 am

Even though some situations in life can be horrific, on a fundamental level life is beautiful and to be lived fully.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby lobster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:35 am

kuroda wrote:Okay this is an open topic everyone write here what has he learnt from Buddha and how it has changed his life.

Inspired by the Buddha:
Emptiness is form; form is emptiness?
:twothumbsup:

The dictum that keeps giving . . . :woohoo:

. . . as for changes . . . m m m . . . no idea, probably none.
lobster

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 am

awareness and clarity, and some shunyata. virtue and the importance of all the good qualities, a beginning to cultivate the good qualities more, and of course a higher aspiration for life for all beings.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby invisiblediamond » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm

1. To let go. 2. I author my mind.
invisiblediamond

Postby disjointed » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 am

I learned that there really is a way out of suffering that is within reach.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Postby Alfredo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 am

I am not entirely sure that "Buddha" even existed (I assume you refer to Shakyamuni, the historical founder of Buddhism), or if he did, whether we can know very much about him. To me he is primarily a symbol. I have, however, been inspired by many aspects of later Buddhist tradition. So perhaps I can say that I have "learned from Buddha" in that sense. As David Mitchell says in Cloud Atlas, he is a "dead man, and a living ideal."
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Return to Personal Experience