YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Nature of distractions, distractions in nature - Dhamma Wheel

Nature of distractions, distractions in nature

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Volcommerce

Nature of distractions, distractions in nature

Postby Volcommerce » Mon May 14, 2012 6:20 am

Hey everyone,

This happened tonight.

While running along the path near the boats, a local homeowner was running a sprinkler, and a punctured tube was spouting water all across the path. Approaching the spray at a quick pace, anticipating receiving an unfortunate soaking by the sprinkler, inference of a quote arose to me,

‘’There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything.’’

Inspired by the thusness of the quote, I continued running along the path through the sprinkler. The water was a little chillly but I found the water cooling and refreshing on my legs, not nearly as threatening as it appeared. Soon after, in reflection of the occurrence, the thought arose, ‘’how much energy would have been spent dodging that spray! Not only would I have had to jump out of the way, lose my breath in the process, scurry around the outer droplets, realign myself on the path and once again regain my breath.’ The energy I would have spent trying to avoid such a thing would have far exceeded the ''agony'' of getting sprayed by the dramatic sprinkler. Lets flip this around and consider that a smooth steady run was the goal, and the water spray appeared as a distraction, it would appear that some awareness of the nature of the distraction can greatly influence your overcoming of such a thing.

Thoughts? Reflections?

Good day.
Last edited by Volcommerce on Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagoba

Re: Self-Reflection

Postby Bagoba » Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 am

Hi Volcommerce,

What your story inspires me is, no matter what obstacles may arise on your path to freedom from bondage, stay mindful of them and don't let these obstacles hold you back / stir you away from the path. Stay on the path no matter what obstacles may arise...

Let's hope that from now on I can apply this to my own path...

:)

Bagoba
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless."

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 am

Last edited by Aloka on Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 am

Bagoba

Postby Bagoba » Mon May 14, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Tilt,

I was more refering to my own experience of the Dhamma in this life, and how I kind of dropped it altogether for a few years, because of certain obstacles which came across my path and which I didn't actually recognise as such. Unfortunately I let my non-recognition of these obstacles completely lead me away from the Dhamma (which I used to refer to as the Dharma) for several years (almost 5 to be precise), which I wasted in letting my mind run savage in its ignorance while happily entertaining annihilationist views.

Anyways, I'm slowly getting back on track now... like a very ill patient slowly but surely recovering from a grave illness... but will the disease ever come to an end?
Last edited by Bagoba on Mon May 14, 2012 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 am

Bagoba

Postby Bagoba » Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 am

Bagoba

Postby Bagoba » Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 am

reflection

Postby reflection » Mon May 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Now I wonder, didn't the energy you saved get used up into thinking about it? :tongue:

You walk through a sprinkler, you simply walk through a sprinkler.
You dodge a sprinker, you simply dodge a sprinkler.
Kids do it all the time without breaking their brain over it. (Maybe their legs instead :tongue: )

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 pm

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Our brains actually consume 3/4 of the energy gained from eating, if we weren't so smart we wouldn't need to eat nearly as much, so yes, the posters above are correct, you wasted far more energy thinking and writing than you would have by dodging the sprinkler and not giving it a second thought
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

Yana

Postby Yana » Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Oh right! not all arahants posses psycic powers..coz u would have just flewwww outta there in a jiffy! :hug:
Life is preparing for Death

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 15, 2012 2:04 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

polarbear101

Re: Nature of distractions, distractions in nature

Postby polarbear101 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:57 am

well i feel silly, actually it turns out I misremembered, it isn't 3/4, more like the other way around, I thought I had heard that number on the science channel but actually here it is...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ain-need-s

still though, it uses a heck of alot of energy
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

manas

Postby manas » Tue May 15, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Volcommerce,

while it's true that sometimes overthinking something simple might not be the best thing to do, I nevertheless appreciate you sharing this story; we are in the Lounge, after all, where such serendipitous topics should be able to be related without fearing being grilled for it.

I for one have had many accidental and random occurrences that have taught me something. We can indeed see Dhamma in almost anything, if we look, and getting to know something about how our mind works is always a good thing.

Having said that - do stay dry and out of the sprinklers! I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but here in Melbourne it's bloody cold...my heating gas bill is going to be huge this Winter...

:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue May 15, 2012 7:45 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Return to “Lounge”