Responsibility of your practice

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Responsibility of your practice

Postby Glyn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:48 pm

How do you cope when HUGE responsibilitie are placed upon you by your teachers?
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Re: Responsibility of your practice

Postby conebeckham » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:26 pm

That's a hard question to answer when you give us no details. In my experience, teachers don't give us responsibilities we can't handle...and if they do, perhaps they're not responsible teachers.

??
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby disjointed » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:01 pm

When considering my commitments I think of:
1)the alternative of living a worldly life until I feel the dissatisfaction and uneasiness that caused me to pursue Buddhism in the first place.
2) my self dignity and keeping promises
3) the benefits I've gained from keeping even seemingly arbitrary commitments for years and years and how destitute my life would be if I had not kept them.

If you are truly overwhelmed by the amount of practice you are doing on a daily basis there are a few things you should know:
1) Given time you learn to recite verses much faster
2) There are short and long versions often.
3) If you do your sadhana and part of it is done before midnight and part after, it counts for both days. LOL jk
4)You can ask the lama you received the commitment from to adjust or drop the commitment. They may not agree though if they feel it is that important for you to do.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Postby Jikan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Glyn wrote:How do you cope when HUGE responsibilitie are placed upon you by your teachers?

I try to do my best, and try not to repeat the same mistakes over and over.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby lobster » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:47 am

Glyn wrote:How do you cope when HUGE responsibilitie are placed upon you by your teachers?

Who is responsible? :popcorn:
lobster

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:22 am

I agree that if you're being given responsibilities you really don't feel capable of meeting then it might be a question of judgement regarding the teacher. Alternatively, he or she *could* be giving you a 'stretch target', that is, making you reach for something you don't think you're capable of but the teacher thinks you really are, if you are given the responsibility. Another possibility is that you're projecting what you think is the responsibility based on your idea of what the practice represents.

So - without further information, it is very hard to say. But remember the meaning of 'responsibility' entails 'what you're able to respond to'. And the basic responsibility for any person, anywhere, always comes down to doing your best. Nobody can ask more of you than that.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Return to Personal Experience