How to stabilize bodhicitta? [serious]

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

How to stabilize bodhicitta? [serious]

Postby disjointed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:39 am

It's easy enough to generate the bodhicitta based on concern for others based on equalizing self and others.

But because the view of equalization is hard to maintain, the bodhicitta and concern waver also.

How do you stabilize these things? How do you make these enlightening attitudes habitual and instinctual?
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Re: How to stabilize bodhicitta? [serious]

Postby Konchog1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 am

Gampopa recommends daily reflection on the benefits of Bodhicitta, generating Bodhicitta six times a day, and practicing the Four Light Actions while staying away from the Four Dark Actions.

Light Actions:
1. Never lying
2. Encouraging virtue
3. Thinking of all Bodhisattvas as similar to the Buddha
4. Promoting the Mahayana over the Hinayana to your students

Dark Actions:
1. Deceiving gurus about non-virtue
2. Causing others to regret virtue
3. Speaking disparagingly of Bodhisattvas
4. Using deceit to get the service of others

Also, improving love and compassion improves Bodhicitta.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby jeeprs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:56 am

My honest answer is that it is not something that can be accomplished - it is something that has to happen. And whatever happens, needs to happen on the level of the heart-chakra. So all those teachings mentioned above are completely true, I'm sure, but there is a certain kind of magic that also needs to happen, somehow.
He that knows it, knows it not.
jeeprs

Postby WuMing » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 am

I agree with jeeprs. This isn’t something that one can make happen. Look at it as kind of evolution.
It evolves when the right seeds are nurtured. Nurturing the right seeds is to engage and to practice what Konchog1 was pointing to, Gampopa’s recommendations.
How to make something hapitual? Well, practice it thousands of times!
今以佛眼觀之佛與眾生同住解脫之床。無此無彼無二平等。
Now, observing with the eye of the Buddha, both the Buddha and ordinary beings are in the same liberated state. There is neither this nor that: there is only non-duality and identity.
- 空海 Kūkai 弘法大師 in Unjigi 吽字義 The Meaning of the Letter Hūṃ
new translation: Kūkai on the Philosophy of Language by Takagi Shingen and Dreitlein Eijō
WuMing

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 am

In order to apply the practices related to bodhicitta in daily life and maintain one's resolve to generate it, it is important to remind oneself of the benefits. This is why the first chapter of Shantideva's Bodhisattvacaryavatara is dedicated to expressing the benefits of the awakening mind.
A foolish man proclaims his qualifications,
A wise man keeps them secret within.
A straw floats on the surface of water,
But a precious gem placed upon it sinks to the depths
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup
Former staff member

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 am

Absolute Bodhicitta stabilizes relative Bodhicitta.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Well I don't have answers about squat, but i'll try to bring up something that is working for me that might relate, seems really banal but here goes:

I get mad constantly when I drive, to the degree that it's ended up in near fights due to clashes of my own road rage with others in the past.

I decided about a year ago that this was a great opportunity to at least chip away at some of my nonsense, so now every time I have some ridiculous fantasy about what a terrible person that driver is for cutting me off, making me late, flipping me off, or whatever silly thing my mind invents or focuses on about them, I do an exercise.

I make up stuff that person is going through, disease, death of loved ones, whatever. Just simple, basic things that so many people go through, chances are I am right a large portion of the time anyway. It didn't work at first, I had to really try every time I would feel the rage boiling up to sort of replace these thoughts, now it's starting to work a little on it's own, like i'll just look at someone driving and feel these things. Lots of times I still have to force it, but it IS changing and becoming more ingrained, and not feeling like a forced thing anymore. The funny thing is, when you think about it, this "forced Bodhicitta" is closer to these people's conventional reality than my fantasy of their awfulness probably is, so in a sense, this is not fake at all, it is just reminding myself of what people's state really is.

One of my teachers has said on this question something like "there is no real difference between an expert imitator and an expert", I take him to mean that eventually the difference dissolves.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Here is a whole book about this topic, Shantidevas Bodhisattvacharyavatara:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav ... 05749.html
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby KonchokZoepa » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:51 pm

you can also buy the commentary of shantidevas way of the bodhisattva called ''the nectar of manjushri's speech''.

i just got it, havent started reading it yet.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby lobster » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:14 am

disjointed wrote:How do you stabilize these things? How do you make these enlightening attitudes habitual and instinctual?

You practice habits until they are instinctual.
In terms of unfolding from genuine inner, rather than outer virtuous behaviour . . .
Meditation allow the false habits to arise and dissipate. Love, compassion and boddhicita is innate, inevitable.
You knew that right! :smile:
lobster

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:36 am

disjointed wrote:It's easy enough to generate the bodhicitta based on concern for others based on equalizing self and others.

But because the view of equalization is hard to maintain, the bodhicitta and concern waver also.

How do you stabilize these things? How do you make these enlightening attitudes habitual and instinctual?

The four immeasurables are used.
Tom

Postby Glyn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Some good advice above, especially recalling the benefits and the light actions recommended by Gampopa. Also making a BIG effort in the direction of developing ordinary love and compassion.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Postby udawa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Get seriously into lojong.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa

Postby TaTa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:21 pm

I think that attaining shamata is key to all the rest of realizations, including boddichita. I dont see how one can stabilze anything without a stable mind.
TaTa

Postby Tom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:43 am

TaTa wrote:I think that attaining shamata is key to all the rest of realizations, including boddichita. I dont see how one can stabilze anything without a stable mind.

Tata why do you say shamata is required for the realization of bodhichitta? Do you have some reference?
Tom

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 am

It's been my understanding that basically the opposite is the case, that Bodhicitta is the engine for all practices.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Konchog1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 am

Shamata is one of the six paramita. The paramita are practiced after one's bodhicitta is constant and stable.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Return to Open Dharma