Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Matylda wrote:
Yeah Zhang Zhung... it was the closest. By still it was not Tibet in the sense of history, though they could pick up so much from previous kingdoms. It is just natural, that close nation, ethnically and in terms of language have some mutual exchange and influence... But I meant Tibet proper, not by whom it was influenced.


Zhang Zhung people were Tibetan. Zhang Zhung language is a dialect of Tibetan, and it is still spoken today.


Quote:
But GY? was it really spread widely and accepted in India? Even in AYT texts? You mentioned only Hevajra, what about other AYT lineages in India?


Yes. Yes. I mentioned two traditions, Hevajra and Vajrayogini. For example, there are three gurusadhanas translated by a Vibhuticandra into Tibetan. Another text entitled
gurumandalasamadana vidhi translated by one of three Dro Lotsawas ('bro lo ts'a ba) which describes a method of practicing the guru, he is invited in front, one makes offerings to him, praises, etc., exactly the way that guru yogas are done in the Tibetan tradition.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 854
Malcolm wrote:
Matylda wrote:
Yeah Zhang Zhung... it was the closest. By still it was not Tibet in the sense of history, though they could pick up so much from previous kingdoms. It is just natural, that close nation, ethnically and in terms of language have some mutual exchange and influence... But I meant Tibet proper, not by whom it was influenced.


Zhang Zhung people were Tibetan. Zhang Zhung language is a dialect of Tibetan, and it is still spoken today.


AFAIK, this isn't what either ChNN or modern scholars say. Both agree that Zhang Zhung was related to Tibet but not quite the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 344
Malcolm wrote:
Yes. Yes. I mentioned two traditions, Hevajra and Vajrayogini. For example, there are three gurusadhanas translated by a Vibhuticandra into Tibetan. Another text entitled
gurumandalasamadana vidhi translated by one of three Dro Lotsawas ('bro lo ts'a ba) which describes a method of practicing the guru, he is invited in front, one makes offerings to him, praises, etc., exactly the way that guru yogas are done in the Tibetan tradition.


Yeah this sounds interesting.. I Wonder why GY did not make its way to Japan... I do not know shingon or tendai, though I know many monks and nuns of both tradition, just never asked about it. After all the guru position in both Japanese traditions seems to be very important.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 344
Sherlock wrote:
AFAIK, this isn't what either ChNN or modern scholars say. Both agree that Zhang Zhung was related to Tibet but not quite the same.



It is what I had in mind while writting post before...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm
Posts: 260
Karma Dorje wrote:
Elaborate Guru Puja is well established in tantric and pauranic Hinduism going back many years. The Guru Gita of the Skandha Purana is a very long song and adoration to the guru visualized as Dattatreya and also as one's personal guru. There is both physical worship with the 16 articles (shodashopacara) and mental worship (manasa puja). There is also the famous Guru Paduka puja-- worshipping the sandals of the guru. It's very difficult for me to believe that the Tibetan "innovation" found its way back to India and had such a profound impact on such a central figure in the Hindu experience. In all of these, the mind of the student is mixed with the mind of the guru visualized in the heart or on the crown of one's head.

While figures like Padmasambhava, Jigten Sumgon, Tsongkhapa, etc. are obviously Tibetan and their sadhanas are specific to the Tibetan context, the general architecture of guru yoga has been intrinsic to the Indian experience of religion for millennia.


Not to mention Guru Purnima sadhana using yantras (in Hindu yantra means drawing mandalas on copper). This is practiced today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Sherlock wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Matylda wrote:
Yeah Zhang Zhung... it was the closest. By still it was not Tibet in the sense of history, though they could pick up so much from previous kingdoms. It is just natural, that close nation, ethnically and in terms of language have some mutual exchange and influence... But I meant Tibet proper, not by whom it was influenced.


Zhang Zhung people were Tibetan. Zhang Zhung language is a dialect of Tibetan, and it is still spoken today.


AFAIK, this isn't what either ChNN or modern scholars say. Both agree that Zhang Zhung was related to Tibet but not quite the same.


The Zhang Zhung people were one of six tribes of Tibetans.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm
Posts: 344
Malcolm wrote:
The Zhang Zhung people were one of six tribes of Tibetans.


So does Zhang Zhung tribe still exist today? What did happen to them?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 854
The modern Jangshung people might be descended from them or a closely related tribe, but if they are, it seems that they are not that closely related to Tibetans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm
Posts: 260
The Kinnaur people.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 854
I was searching for more info on Buddhaguptanatha and came across a section in PIATS 2000 (page 136) where it is said that Taranatha received a guru yoga teaching from him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Matylda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Yes. Yes. I mentioned two traditions, Hevajra and Vajrayogini. For example, there are three gurusadhanas translated by a Vibhuticandra into Tibetan. Another text entitled
gurumandalasamadana vidhi translated by one of three Dro Lotsawas ('bro lo ts'a ba) which describes a method of practicing the guru, he is invited in front, one makes offerings to him, praises, etc., exactly the way that guru yogas are done in the Tibetan tradition.


Yeah this sounds interesting.. I Wonder why GY did not make its way to Japan... I do not know shingon or tendai, though I know many monks and nuns of both tradition, just never asked about it. After all the guru position in both Japanese traditions seems to be very important.


Guru Yoga comes from Anuttarayoga tantra, which never made its way to Japan.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:26 pm
Posts: 577
The spiritual practice of Guru Yoga itself is not about some a text.

I think the question should rather be, were there any vastly complex visualisation exercises around Guru Yoga in ancient India or is that a Tibetan innovation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
theanarchist wrote:
The spiritual practice of Guru Yoga itself is not about some a text.

I think the question should rather be, were there any vastly complex visualisation exercises around Guru Yoga in ancient India or is that a Tibetan innovation.


The answer to the first question is no, not in any recorded text we have, and the answer to the second is yes, as far as we know.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group