termas that mention smoking tobacco

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby KonchokZoepa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:02 pm

hi, i read the smoking tobacco thread and i am interested in knowing if any of you know or have english translated termas that mention smoking cigarettes or Lamas and Rinpoches talking about smoking cigarettes or tobacco.

please post links to termas in this thread that talk about smoking tobacco.
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby mutsuk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:10 pm

There is a famous text on this subject by Shardza Rinpoche but I don't have any link to that. There was a discussion about this text on the defunct forum Yungdrung rigngaling.

You have an even more famous work by Dudjom Rinpoche based on earlier Termas here :
http://fr.scribd.com/doc/118527483/Dudj ... of-Tobacco
mutsuk
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby KonchokZoepa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:26 pm

crazy text. thanks for linking it to me. i have to quit.
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby justsit » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:i have to quit.


Just a quick comment - there is a very big difference between "I have to quit" or "I ought to quit" and "I want to quit." "I am going to quit" is your strongest motivational aid.

If deep down you do not want to quit and are not totally committed to quitting, you will very likely not quit.

Ask me how I know this. :smile:
User avatar
justsit
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby KonchokZoepa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm

no need to ask you, i undestand, i deep down want to quit really, but currently i am gathering strenght to the commitment to quit.
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby conebeckham » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:35 pm

I quit when I realized it was affecting my breathing....and I figured this out by doing prostrations. It became obvious.

I wish you the best of luck. You CAN do it, believe me.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
User avatar
conebeckham
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby KonchokZoepa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 pm

thanks for the support :namaste:
KonchokZoepa
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby mutsuk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Norbu Rinpoche described an efficacious treatment from Tibetan Medicine way back in 1990 during a retreat. I completely forgot what it was but I'm sure someone from the DC can inform you of this. It was something implying massages with some special ointment, etc. I'm completely unsure of the details but I met somebody from Merigar many years ago who had done it successfully.
mutsuk
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 pm

mutsuk wrote:Norbu Rinpoche described an efficacious treatment from Tibetan Medicine way back in 1990 during a retreat. I completely forgot what it was but I'm sure someone from the DC can inform you of this. It was something implying massages with some special ointment, etc. I'm completely unsure of the details but I met somebody from Merigar many years ago who had done it successfully.


Dug Sel Man Sang maybe?
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby Lhug-Pa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:35 pm

*Edit*

The Tibetan Medicine with oil that Mutsuk mentioned might be available upon request (if one has received Chulen instructions or similar and/or has a prescription from a Tibetan Doctor).

Could try to contact Shang Shung Institute or Dr. Phuntsog Wangmo.

Although anyone can order Sorig or Men-Tsee-Khang Medicines:

Health & Beauty

From the North American Shang Shung webstore^.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Lhug-Pa
 
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 pm

You get pills and massage oil, one week is about 25 bucks (18 euros) excluding postage.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby Konchog1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:09 pm

justsit wrote:
KonchokZoepa wrote:i have to quit.


Just a quick comment - there is a very big difference between "I have to quit" or "I ought to quit" and "I want to quit." "I am going to quit" is your strongest motivational aid.

If deep down you do not want to quit and are not totally committed to quitting, you will very likely not quit.

Ask me how I know this. :smile:
"I can quit" as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3p_LuTM73k
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
User avatar
Konchog1
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Konchog1 wrote:"I can quit" as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3p_LuTM73k


The blurb says, "begin an internal dialogue with his future self to convince his present self that it can, in fact, live without its addiction."

I was taught that its preferable to view it in terms of what you gain rather than what you lose, quit, or give up.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby Konchog1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 pm

futerko wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:"I can quit" as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3p_LuTM73k


The blurb says, "begin an internal dialogue with his future self to convince his present self that it can, in fact, live without its addiction."

I was taught that its preferable to view it in terms of what you gain rather than what you lose, quit, or give up.
Living without the addiction includes gaining good things
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
User avatar
Konchog1
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby shaunc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 pm

I do know that in Bhutan, a country that practises Tibetan Buddhism all tobacco use has been out-lawned. Whether this was done for religious, political,health reasons or a combination of these I don't know.
shaunc
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am

Re: termas that mention smoking tobacco

Postby mutsuk » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:14 am

shaunc wrote:I do know that in Bhutan, a country that practises Tibetan Buddhism all tobacco use has been out-lawned. Whether this was done for religious, political,health reasons or a combination of these I don't know.


I don't remember where but I read it was for financial reasons: too many people having cancers because of tobacco usage would cost too much to the country. This has to be checked though.
mutsuk
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm


Return to Tibetan Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

>