Social media and Vajrayana

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Social media and Vajrayana

Postby tobes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:28 am

I'm not sure if this has been posted before (if it has, apologies):

http://www.siddharthasintent.org/2013/0 ... or-so.html

:anjali:
tobes

Re: Social media and Vajrayana

Postby muni » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:26 pm

The problem is that this can happen all the time on a forum. We can have the best intentions and still harm. Therefore it is each of us our own practice.
If our genuine sharing is in the direction to clarify in order to avoid misunderstanding, then the available teachings of the Masters, should not remain hidden.

I also think, while most texts on internet can be read for oneself, they should have the guidance of a Master who can answer our doubts, avoid our misunderstanding and explains them by the Wisdom Mind.

I contemplate about not creating disharmony.

ps Sorry when I sound boring, but I am just back from a cremation, the second this month. Then I see a bit how foolish it is, to remain holding on, on our pride.

:namaste:
muni

Postby tobes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Yes, I tend to agree. I think it can be better/more productive to say something a touch controversial than to keep silent.

Generating debate can generate understanding.

However, I think the last three points are compelling:

Be respectful to others: Without Theravada and Mahayana as foundation, there would be no Vajrayana. It would be completely foolish of Vajrayana practitioners to look down on or show disdain towards Theravada and Mahayana. If you think attacking other buddhists will improve Buddhism, do a service for Buddhism, take aim at your own ego and biasedness instead.

Don't create disharmony: Try to be the one who brings harmony into the sangha community with your online chatter, instead of trouble and disputes.

Always be mindful of your motivation: Please do not attempt to display "crazy wisdom" behaviors online, just inspire others to have a good heart. If you think you are posting something out of compassion, try first to make sure you are doing no harm. Whenever you can't let go of the itch to post something, make sure that it helps whoever who reads it and the Dharma.

tobes

Postby muni » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am

Yes, better.

There was a thought passing this night, it was like this: Pride is wanting to be great by limitations. Its our suffering, which we must not feed. I guess therefore Rinpoche gave this advice.

Even I know not so much about Theravada;
Once we arrived in Thailand, there was among us a young girl having injured her feet badly on the rikshaw. We were looking for help when a man in a small grocery shop saw us. He directly run inside, came back with a chair and closed the shop for clients. His wife brought a bowl of cooked water, an emergency box and offered tea. The foot was desinfected, got clean bandage by simple loving kindness. We had no opportunity to change the bandage soon, but when we did, the foot was perfectly healed, a new big toonail was growing. It seems to teach me that we need not so much prove what is emptiness-compassion, rather melt with it, be it, then Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana are perfected.

I am sure many such examples are right now, while I am here writing what seems good for me ( and not at all for all) on the internet.

muni

Return to Open Dharma