Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Khechara

Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Post by Khechara »

''This voyage began in the middle of the 1990's in Moscow, when a group of artists and musicians led by Alexei Tegin and based at the legendary Fabrique of Cardinal Art commenced their studies of traditional ritual music, drifting away from the field of contemporary electroacoustic and industrial music with the intent to delve deeper into the ancient musical cultures of the ancient Egypt, Iran and Tibet.

The original 2003 lineup of the project that emerged as a result was dubbed Phurpa (one of the five tutelary deities of the Father Tantra in Bon tradition), and all the members have carried on with their research in the field of Bon and Buddhist liturgies up to the present day.''

http://phurpa.bandcamp.com/

phpBB [video]
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Awesome.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Khechara

Post by Khechara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Awesome.
I am glad you liked it Johnny!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I love industrial and experimental music (zoviet*france, Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil etc...) so this is right up my street. I have never been very fond of the new-age music combined with mantras that is often produced as Buddhist music and this is definitely a lot more exciting.

There's a lot of interesting things to explore in Tibetan art and music - especially if done by practitioners. Are these guys Buddhist?

Edit: I once found a CD that I ripped from a group called "Mappa Mundi", title Elemental Edge Music. I think they were DC practitioners. It's a really weird little CD about the creation and destruction of the 5 elements - kind of a new age noise project. Very odd and interesting.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Dewds, blantant self promotion:

http://www.soundcloud.com/zach-zinn

http://zachzinn.bandcamp.com

Sorry to take away from the thread lol, I love this kind of music also, I find the new agey mantra stuff unbearable, but I love the traditional Tibetan instruments and melodies, banging cymbals, conch horn...awww yeah. One thing about "noise" etc. music is that it is so abstract that when done right, it doesn't really "try" to be anything, this is what I dislike about the new-agey stuff, it's trying to hard to hook you it turns into syrup.

I think Current 93 is an example of a project that has put out some very interesting and vital "spiritual" stuff...and then some not so good heh. Of course this stuff will never be popular with the majority of Dharma folks, but for me it hits the spot.

PS Zoviet France is one of my favorite projects of all time, i've been lucky enough to get my stuff on their podcast a couple times, they are awesome, have been doing their thing for so many years now, and have never ceased being awesome. Rapoon and Dead Voice on Air are great too.

We should start a new thread for this kind of stuff maybe, i'm glad to know there are others on here with these kinds of eclectic tastes.

-Khunu Lama
justsit

Post by justsit »

Some here may have heard this from the sound track to the movie Words of My Perfect Teacher.
(trailer quality not the best...)

phpBB [video]
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Seems like a good thread for it, does anyone have a good list of links to non-new agey mantra recitations?

I'm able to find them here and there usually, but typically searches are 90% that sort of thing, i've had to scour around on places like soulseek for straight mantra recitation or rituals.

-Khunu Lama
Khechara

Post by Khechara »

Paul wrote:I love industrial and experimental music (zoviet*france, Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil etc...) so this is right up my street. I have never been very fond of the new-age music combined with mantras that is often produced as Buddhist music and this is definitely a lot more exciting.

There's a lot of interesting things to explore in Tibetan art and music - especially if done by practitioners. Are these guys Buddhist?

Edit: I once found a CD that I ripped from a group called "Mappa Mundi", title Elemental Edge Music. I think they were DC practitioners. It's a really weird little CD about the creation and destruction of the 5 elements - kind of a new age noise project. Very odd and interesting.
That's excellent, Paul! I am fond of dark ambient, martial industrial, power electronics/death industrial etc. I also write for the premier online industrial and dark music periodical, Heathen Harvest.
Yeah, I have never been fond of New Age music combined with mantras and other traditional elements either. Phurpa, however, are an authentic ritual music collective and are practicing Buddhists. Their art has attracted a lot of metalheads too! (I am also a lot into this music!)

Are there any online links to check out Mappa Mundi?
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

are buddhist mantras with buddhist music new agey mantra recitations?
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Khechara

Post by Khechara »

You guys may also like Sven Grünberg's album ''Milarepa''

phpBB [video]

Grünberg is an Estonian progressive rock, organ and electronic musician and also the chairman of the board of the Estonian Institute of Buddhism. He is mainly known for his meditative organ and electronic albums (non New-Age) based on Tibetan Buddhism.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Khechara wrote: That's excellent, Paul! I am fond of dark ambient, martial industrial, power electronics/death industrial etc. I also write for the premier online industrial and dark music periodical, Heathen Harvest.
Yeah, I have never been fond of New Age music combined with mantras and other traditional elements either. Phurpa, however, are an authentic ritual music collective and are practicing Buddhists. Their art has attracted a lot of metalheads too! (I am also a lot into this music!)
I like these Phurpa guys - they are both experimental and respectful of the material they are using. I am too attached to Tibetan Buddhism to see it used for mere shock value. But dark industrial music is surely the very best soundtrack for chod...
Are there any online links to check out Mappa Mundi?
I've not found any information on these Mappa Mundi guys anywhere online. I think it was a small project by some DC members from the mid 90's, so that's not surprising. I'm uploading it to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRIqSmXh2u8
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Mappa Mundi is pretty good, thanks for posting.

-Khunu Lama
Paul

Post by Paul »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Mappa Mundi is pretty good, thanks for posting.
I'm uploading the first half (creation) today, the second (destruction) tomorrow.
Paul

Post by Paul »

justsit wrote:Some here may have heard this from the sound track to the movie Words of My Perfect Teacher.
(trailer quality not the best...)

phpBB [video]
That track is great - thanks for finding it. I also really love the film.

Return to “Media”