YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Enlightenment...Nirvana...I am arahat - Page 7 - Dhamma Wheel

Enlightenment...Nirvana...I am arahat

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Jaidyn

Re: Enlightenment...Nirvana...I am arahat

Postby Jaidyn » Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 am

I will correct myself and say that the personality can have great influence, but there is still value to be gained from words alone. At least for me as it easily stimulates my self-reflection.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 11, 2012 6:12 am

Jaidyn

Postby Jaidyn » Fri May 11, 2012 6:19 am

tiltbillings "I did not say anything remotely suggestive of "I do not need all of the personality of another person in my own reflective process"."

True. If I did mess up the arguments here it was my bad. It is true that we can be receptive to a mix of both personality and the content of the words. My blend of required personality and content of the words allow me to reflect upon Volcommerces words.

tiltbillings "Actually, there is little, if any, of his dramatic, outsized personality in that book, which actually makes a point about this thread."

True

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Fri May 11, 2012 6:54 am

Jaidyn

Postby Jaidyn » Fri May 11, 2012 7:08 am

Jaidyn

Postby Jaidyn » Fri May 11, 2012 7:17 am

Last edited by Jaidyn on Fri May 11, 2012 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

reflection

Postby reflection » Fri May 11, 2012 7:17 am

Last edited by reflection on Fri May 11, 2012 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:28 am

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

reflection

Postby reflection » Fri May 11, 2012 7:30 am

Don't be so sure about the "stuck views". Everything changes. :tongue:

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:36 am

True. Oh well, I give up. No more dukkha over this thread, it too is impermanent. I'm am unbound (from this thread) :sage:

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

plwk

Postby plwk » Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 am

Those were the papacy days of ES where threads and posters like this one would magically vanish almost instantly that even atheists would start believing that there's such a thing as 'magic'...what do you think tilt? lol

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 11, 2012 7:50 am

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Manas wrote:
"I would recommend Ajahn Thanissaro, or Bhante Gunaratana. Both teach extensively in the States, afaik. But, Volcommerce, it is you who must approach them.

Maybe other people can recommend other masters for Volcommerce to consult? That might be the best thing we can do to be of service here."

Good idea, another great teacher is Bhikkhu Bodhi. He currently resides at Chuang Yen Monastery in New York (ref: http://www.baus.org/baus/about_us/index.html ). Go meet face to face with him and I'm sure you'll learn a lot from his kindness and wisdom..

Volcommerce

Postby Volcommerce » Fri May 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi,

I hope this post answers any question. I suggest that you should not seek to learn anything about me, and none of us should seek to learn anything about Buddha's achievement, only we should seek to understand the nature of the conditions that led to his enlightenment and the subsequent diagnoses to help us understand the path. In consistency with this, I must advice you all to disregard my claim to attainment, and to focus on any reasonable explanations I can provide on the nature of my path to self realizations.

The reason why I previously stated that I felt there could be more to do, is upon correctly diagnosing the nature of enlightenment with the inspiration that perhaps, ''it is due to this self reflective process that one uncovers this state of being, perhaps there are more conditions along the path that that will lead to further states of realization'' a flame would be held to this thought, however, further external studying has confirmed the internal realization that this state of unperturbed meditation is the final resting ground that follows the elimination of that which is not necessary.

I must also contribute that in regards to there being more to do, there is more to do, one must continue to eat a healthy diet, and drink enough water, among other things, for, if this was not achieved, the experience of the nature of the realized mind would be affected the the vibrational level of ones body.

Also, when discussing Buddhism with a friend when at the age of 18, my explanation of my permanent state of meditation was viewed with obscurity, which was contradictory to my view that all beings experienced this thing. It would appear the achievement of realization of nirvana occurred more recently as a result of a few years of applied action, which to clarify, was never committed in consideration of any buddhist doctrine or seeking or expectation of nirvana.

Last edited by Volcommerce on Fri May 11, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YouthThunder

Postby YouthThunder » Fri May 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Ok,so do you know what is the source of mahayana/vajrayana buddhism,other world religions like Islam? If you do not wish to answer/do not know the answer(THEN PLEASEDO NOT ANSWER) then it is ok though.

Peace~~

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Thank you for answering, Volcommerce.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Volcommerce

Postby Volcommerce » Fri May 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I am unfamiliar with the other form of Buddhist doctrine you mentioned but I am very familiar with islam,

The source of which is the Qu'ran which is the word of god delivered by inspiration to Muhammad, may peace be upon him.

YouthThunder

Postby YouthThunder » Fri May 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”