Dalai Lama and the Demon? anyone read this?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
conebeckham

Dalai Lama and the Demon? anyone read this?

Post by conebeckham »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096701 ... d_i=507846

Just heard of this today, and I wondered if anyone had read it?

I don't want to start a thread about the Gyalpo--if folks could just comment on the book itself, and whether it's worth reading for a true historical account.....or if it's not.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
KonchokZoepa

Re: Dalai Lama and the Demon? anyone read this?

Post by KonchokZoepa »

are they talking about dorje shugden or is gyalpo shugden another ''deity''?

this seems very interesting book though i have no real intention to read it.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

conebeckham wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096701 ... d_i=507846

Just heard of this today, and I wondered if anyone had read it?

I don't want to start a thread about the Gyalpo--if folks could just comment on the book itself, and whether it's worth reading for a true historical account.....or if it's not.
I'm currently reading it, not finished yet.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Thoughts, thus far, Mutsuk?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

KonchokZoepa wrote:are they talking about dorje shugden or is gyalpo shugden another ''deity''?
Dorje Shugden, Gyelpo Shugden and Dolgyal are the same, although "Dolgyal" is more frequently used by those who condemn the practice of this gyelpo.
Last edited by mutsuk on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

well it seems that if the cults intention is to wipe out the lineage of Dalai Lama, then i think that proves Dalai Lama right in that matter that the Shugden is a gyalpo and thus might be influencing the cult members very negatively. i cant believe that this kind of things would be going on in the world. that tibet and its culture would start to destroy itself from the inside.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

conebeckham wrote:Thoughts, thus far, Mutsuk?
Well, there is sure a lot of info in this book, but it's weirdly structured. Probably an editorial decision. It starts with the murders at the School of Dialectics and is very slow in the police investigation. I mean this is not a detective novel or a thriller but the pace is very slow. The second part of the book deals with the "original" history of Drakpa Gyeltsen, etc. I hope to find more unpublished infos in this section.

I don't know if I have the first edition or not but this one has quite a few "corrections" which are simply put next to the "wrong" original wording. It seems someone had a problem with the original file. But this is superfluous. I got caught up with other things to read so I've only covered the first third of the book. Despite the slow pace of the first part, would I advise buying it ? Yeah sure. I wish some of the material in original sources was more easily available. I guess there's a lot of small booklets in Tibetan which have been published in Dharamsala on this subject but so far not much of these has been imported at least here in Europe.
Last edited by mutsuk on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

KonchokZoepa wrote:well it seems that if the cults intention is to wipe out the lineage of Dalai Lama, then i think that proves Dalai Lama right in that matter that the Shugden is a gyalpo and thus might be influencing the cult members very negatively. i cant believe that this kind of things would be going on in the world. that tibet and its culture would start to destroy itself from the inside.
Sure, you're right.

However, I would not generalize about Gyelpo so easily. They are a weird and dangerous class of spirit, nobody denies that and Norbu Rinpoche has on purpose warned against them numerous times. However, in Bon for instance, the "problem" is slightly different (which is surprising in a sense), for f.i. the main Protector of the Zhangzhung Nyengyü teaching is Gyelpo Nyipangse. He is quite different from other Gyelpos though, since he is peaceful (a bit unusual for a Protector of the bka'-srung type) and is associated with a peaceful sMan-mo. But I'm digressing... Dolgyal is a plague not doubt about that.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Sadly, it appears that a conversation about this book necessarily involves a conversation about THAT. So... thread closed.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”