imputation

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
omnifriend

imputation

Post by omnifriend »

Hi, I understand that when I think of people, places, and things, in my mind they are imaginary, and not realities. but I am having difficulty seeing how certain words like the, or as, is, etc... how are these words not ultimate realities? thank you, metta
DGA
Former staff member

Re: imputation

Post by DGA »

I don't see how one could understand a definite article (the), for instance, as an ultimate reality. What is "the" ultimately? How about the verb "to be": what is "is" ultimately?

what ultimate existence would a grammatical marker have?
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

It's not that they're imaginary, but our idea that it's a fixed permanent thing, and our idea that we see something as the "way it is" instead of through our own little filters and delusions, that keeps us from seeing the ultimate reality. We need to be careful not to delve too close to Nihilism.
And that's a pretty abstract question... but just as everyone has their own idea of what a place "is" that isn't real, it's the same for a word's meaning. "The" doesn't mean anything inherently, and thousands of years ago the word "the" was not even a concept (and it eventually probably won't again). And if you go to a country with another language now, the word "the" may still have no meaning, or may have a totally different one. It has no more solid reality than anything else.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

omnifriend wrote:Hi, I understand that when I think of people, places, and things, in my mind they are imaginary, and not realities. but I am having difficulty seeing how certain words like the, or as, is, etc... how are these words not ultimate realities? thank you, metta
Language is even more made up than our projections, because it's just a way of describing the projections..
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
muni

Post by muni »

omnifriend wrote:Hi, I understand that when I think of people, places, and things, in my mind they are imaginary, and not realities. but I am having difficulty seeing how certain words like the, or as, is, etc... how are these words not ultimate realities? thank you, metta
:namaste: I guess things are not so due to our habitual grasping mind. That one is even able to see a wrong and right Ultimate Reality and many more. It is a great artist, itself Ultimate Reality but without the recognition of its nature.

o o

Metta.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”