YahooGroups. Wow, horrible now. Other ideas?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

YahooGroups. Wow, horrible now. Other ideas?

Post by DGA »

For a long time, our little practice group has used YahooGroups to organize our mailing list and some other things. No longer. To give a sense of how dismal this application has become, consider this discussion on another Yahoo platform, YahooAnswers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 758AASpBL2

We've had nothing but trouble with it in recent months, so we're attempting a transition to a different platform called BigTent. If you're interested in seeing what this is like, look at this:

https://www.bigtent.com/groups/dctendai

I don't know yet if this is a better solution, but I am confident it can't be any worse than YahooGroups has become.

I bring all this up because I know that many Buddhist groups use some kind of social media tools to organize themselves, and YahooGroups has been one such tool. (Meetup was another, but it's dying on the vine, and besides, you have to pay for it.) I'm interested in knowing what people are doing, how it works, and what alternatives may be present.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: YahooGroups. Wow, horrible now. Other ideas?

Post by Admin_PC »

Don't know if you've tried it, but I've been pretty impressed with Google groups.
We use it as a mailing list as well as a sort of forum for this monthly computer group I go to.
There's also a pretty good Jodo Shu group on Google groups if you want to see how it works out.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

GoogleGroups has its advantages, that is for certain. In our little group's case, some members expressed some reservations about working with google (or yahoo or microsoft or apple for that matter)...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I agree with you about YahooGroups. They are terrible. I got rid of the few groups I had when all those ads starting appearing all over the place. And then the spammers were relentless, appearing everyday in increasing numbers. I moved a stairclimbing group (fitness) over to facebook and that has worked pretty good so far.

Another possibility is having a Blogger or WordPress blog. You can write an article or subject and have people respond in the comments section as needed. Or just post upcoming events as a new blog post.

Return to “Lounge”