"Four articles of conversion"

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

"Four articles of conversion"

Postby Grigoris » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:34 pm

In the Srimala Devi Sutra, in the section on the Ten Great Vows (Chapter 1, Section 2) the seventh great vow is:

"(7) Lord, from now on, and until I attain enlightenment, I hold to this seventh vow, that with the four article of conversion I shall benefit the sentient beings and not convert them for my own sake; indeed, I shall seek to convert the sentient beings with my mind unoccupied with material things, ever unsatisfied, and not retreating."

Does anybody know what these four articles of conversion are? I am translating the Sutra into Greek and need to add a footnote.

Thanks!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Astus
Former staff member

Re: "Four articles of conversion"

Postby Astus » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:00 pm

"I will practice the four all-embracing acts (giving, kind speech, benefiting others, and cooperation toward leading all beings to virtuous deeds) for all living beings, and not for myself. I accept all living beings without lust, without satiation, and without prejudice."
(Sutra of Queen Śrīmālā of the Lion’s Roar, ch 2; tr. Diana Y. Paul)
Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

jmlee369

Postby jmlee369 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 am

I believe it is commonly called "the four ways of gathering/attracting disciples" in the Tibetan tradition.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:38 am

jmlee is correct about this.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.

sukhamanveti

Postby sukhamanveti » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:13 am

namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 am

Fantastic! Thank you all VERY much! :smile:

I think I will use the term "all embracing acts" and will work from the translation you mentioned Astus. I am not too happy with the quality of the translation (Alex Wayman) that I found.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”