Has anyone tried to recall the previous life?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PTa

Re: Has anyone tried to recall the previous life?

Postby PTa » Fri May 04, 2012 4:54 pm

"No matter how much we may speak in line with what we understand to be right in accordance with the Dhamma, if the citta that is acting isn't right, how can we be right?"
-Ajaan Mahã Boowa

alan

Postby alan » Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm

I would not trust anyone who claims to recall a previous life.

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Fri May 04, 2012 6:04 pm

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

PTa

Postby PTa » Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm

:smile:
Last edited by PTa on Fri May 04, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter how much we may speak in line with what we understand to be right in accordance with the Dhamma, if the citta that is acting isn't right, how can we be right?"
-Ajaan Mahã Boowa

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 pm

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat May 05, 2012 9:28 am

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

dharmapasschakra

There is a previous life but you can't recall. Here's why.

Postby dharmapasschakra » Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Your memory is connected with your brain and a brain is just as physical as a rotten tofu gets. After you lose your life force of this body you will be detached from this physical body completely and the memory will vanish according to.

And, so did happen to your previous body and your current body will never ever bring any of your physical property beyond death.

In conclusion, your previous life memories do not exist.

You can try, but, it's like imagining a banana on an empty plate.

It will never appear magically on it without any physical movement by any beings.

alan

Postby alan » Sun May 06, 2012 4:36 pm

You have no way of knowing that!

polarbear101

Re: There is a previous life but you can't recall. Here's why.

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:55 pm

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

dharmapasschakra

Postby dharmapasschakra » Sun May 06, 2012 7:21 pm

my point being, why would you say that you can survive death but not recollect it considering you're at least trying to be buddhist, you have got a mixed bag of views my friend. Why not say, you cannot recollect past lives because your life force is connected to your brain and when your brain dies, you are toast, dirt, null, void,nonexistent. That would be much more coherent

disclaimer: levitating and recollecting past lives are different things entirely[/quote]

dude, why would i say? because i experience it every seconds.

death is just a biological event.

it's totally nothing to do with your existence.

just an event given in front of you.

when your body dies your memory will be gone.

why? memory is a substance of matter.

and it disassembles and turns into a mess of nutrients while losing its own function of memorizing.

then, the memory you used to have would be nothing but a fungy mess.

while all these processes are happening you go to other body to build brand new sort of memories.

new name, new family, new skin, new mother, new house, new language and new religion so on.

if you can somehow bring any miligram of brain with you to your new body.

then you can remember something.

otherwise, the protein which used to contain the data of what language you spoke in previous life is already not only dysfunctional but also completely irrelevant cause you are already detached from the body. it's not your body anymore. just a piece of protein thousands miles away if i have to symbolize the irrelevance.

btw, there was no time period of this being when we've stopped existing and never will.
Last edited by dharmapasschakra on Sun May 06, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 pm

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

dharmapasschakra

Postby dharmapasschakra » Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

do you remember ever being alive before you were born,no, you don't

i don't know where to start but, first of all, that's exactly what am saying. memory does not transfer from this life to that life.

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:57 pm

dharmapasschakra

Postby dharmapasschakra » Sun May 06, 2012 8:06 pm

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm

dharmapasschakra

Postby dharmapasschakra » Sun May 06, 2012 8:32 pm

1) is a baseless premise
2) true, but life may be simply a certain combination of particles in a certain way and when they break apart you are dead and nothing about what made you alive survives. The particles simply go into the ground and feed the worms and grass
3) also a baseless premise. just because time appears to flow from past to future doesn't mean that you existed in any meaningful sense since time immemorial[/quote]

ok. let's dig into 2 deeper.

what am saying is like watching in theater it's like various genres of films are being played seamlessly. so the color and shape of stuff in front of me changes every seconds or every days or every years or every lives. and those maha number of lives or consequently infinite number of lives changes shapes and colors.

whereas, in your NON-EXISTENCE model,

i assume NON-EXISTENCE is like no flims playing on the screen in the theater. so, let's say no lighting at all. then, it will be black and as you insist it's the color of black, the shape of black and the form of black, fixed like that without any bit of changes forever and ever. never changing.

everything must change.

one thing doesn't change is the notion that everything changes.

which goes eternity of seconds, hours, days, years, lives and the unit doesn't matter in the end.

when a unit finishes there will appear totally brand new shape, color and form of unit in front of you whether you call it "NON-EXISTENCE" or "NEXT LIFE". doesn't matter what name it displays. it will be new shape and form definitely.

in this sense if there is no next life, there should be no next day of your life.

think about it.
Last edited by dharmapasschakra on Sun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun May 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello dharmapasschakra,

Sorry to inject an off-topic post .... but it would be interesting if you would do a post in the Introductions forum so we could get to know you a little better and come to an understanding of how long you have been interested in the teachings of the Buddha, and who you have studied/practised with.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 pm

dude, I'm done with this argument, it's getting us nowhere. I'm just an atheist exploring the Buddha's teachings because there might actually be something too them and maybe he did understand what was underlying conventional reality.

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Mon May 07, 2012 8:22 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

MrsCogan

Postby MrsCogan » Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 pm

I haven't read through all the replies to this question but if anyone said "no, because it's a foolish waste of time," I agree with them.
Rewriting the Buddha, an Essay
Free download here:

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”