Longde Teachings

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Longde Teachings

Postby Fa Dao » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:47 pm

SSI now has Rinpoches Longde teachings on DVD!!!
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=539
I have noticed that Rinpoche has been giving the lung for Ngondzog Gyalpo at the end of webcasts. Does this constitute transmission? Does this mean that a person could get this and practice it?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Malcolm » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Does this mean that a person could get this and practice it?


It means they practice Nhondzog Gyalpo, not Longde.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12516
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Fa Dao » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks Malcolm..I was hoping you would respond. Problem is that Rinpoche has only done the Longde retreat a few times and I am sure that a lot of people have not had the transmission. So I wonder why they put it out on DVD then. I am a big fan of Longde..simple and direct so that even guys like me can get it.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby oldbob » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Thanks Malcolm..I was hoping you would respond. Problem is that Rinpoche has only done the Longde retreat a few times and I am sure that a lot of people have not had the transmission. So I wonder why they put it out on DVD then. I am a big fan of Longde..simple and direct so that even guys like me can get it.


My 2 cents is that it is easy to get too hung up on transmission / permission, and have this block your practice.

For me, it is is enough that people have a pointing out instruction on the nature of mind, and then remember that everything is included in the infinite potentiality of nature of mind.

If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality.

Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do.

i dunno???

If it works for you - go for it. If it doesn't, try something else.

For me, applying the key points of Longde deepens contemplation.

Nice that more on the Longde is out at a reasonable cost.

Previously:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=262

and

http://books.google.it/books?id=m4Oj1VG ... ns&f=false

Thank you ChNNR. Thank you SSI!!! :twothumbsup:
oldbob
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Norwegian » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:11 pm

oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's not up to you however.

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.
Norwegian
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Sönam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:19 pm

oldbob wrote:For me, it is is enough that people have a pointing out instruction on the nature of mind, and then remember that everything is included in the infinite potentiality of nature of mind.


This is also what ChNN says ... integration.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
User avatar
Sönam
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: France

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Malcolm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Sönam wrote:
oldbob wrote:For me, it is is enough that people have a pointing out instruction on the nature of mind, and then remember that everything is included in the infinite potentiality of nature of mind.


This is also what ChNN says ... integration.

Sönam



Right, but the question is what is required to practice the methods of Long sde.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12516
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby oldbob » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Norwegian wrote:oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's not up to you however.

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.


Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was referring to what I believe is required to listen / view the Longde DVD, not to do the practice

You are exactly correct about practice, which is why I wrote,

"Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do."

I also wrote, "If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality," again referring to permission to view the DVD. Of course to do the practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings, in person, or via a closed webcast.

I learned the Longde from ChNNR, in person, in several retreats, and have practiced the Longde in retreats. I pray that everyone who wants to receive the transmission in person, to be able to practice these wonderful teachings, can do so. Perhaps making the DVD available to those who are members and have had pointing out instruction, will lead those who buy the DVD to seek out and attend a Longde teaching, in person, or in a closed webcast. Perhaps this was the SSI thinking in making the DVD generally available in the "restricted" section.

ob
oldbob
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Pero » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:17 am

Fa Dao wrote:Thanks Malcolm..I was hoping you would respond. Problem is that Rinpoche has only done the Longde retreat a few times and I am sure that a lot of people have not had the transmission. So I wonder why they put it out on DVD then.

Well that's a pretty odd thing to say. There are a bunch of things published that require transmissions that one may not have yet. There have also been two (or 3+ if you include Longsal) books about it published in the past and mp3's from previous retreats available.

In the past Rinpoche told me it's enough to receive Lung of Longde if you want to start studying and practicing it but that if you want a concrete experience with it then you should attend a retreat on it. Now I'm not sure if lung of longde is the same as lung of Ngodzog Gyalpo however Jim said to me back then that it's enough to start. This is I think was also the opinion back in E-Sangha but I don't know if Rinpoche said something different at some point. In any case he seems to teach Longsal Longde about every three years.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Fa Dao » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:59 am

Pero,
sorry if I wasnt more clear..what I meant was that for most of the practices lung is given at almost every retreat at the end..not so with the Longde..he doesnt do it very often..I was just wondering out loud why that is
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Bhusuku » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:01 am

Fa Dao, I think you can buy everything @ SSI if you received DI (except for the longsal books), however, that doesn't mean you can practice everything without receiving the particular transmission. For example, there is a book entitled "Longchenpa's Precious Ship" which includes a Kunjed Gyalpo Guruyoga, but AFAIK, Rinpoche gave the transmission for this Guruyoga only once so far...
Bhusuku
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Fa Dao » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:50 am

Bhusuku,
I have watched the last two webcasts I was wondering about it for others
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Pero » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 am

Fa Dao wrote:Pero,
sorry if I wasnt more clear..what I meant was that for most of the practices lung is given at almost every retreat at the end..not so with the Longde..he doesnt do it very often..I was just wondering out loud why that is

Oh! Sorry. No idea. Maybe it's one of those things that he gives only if someone asks him.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby invisiblediamond » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:10 pm

oldbob wrote:
Norwegian wrote:oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's not up to you however.

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.


Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was referring to what I believe is required to listen / view the Longde DVD, not to do the practice

You are exactly correct about practice, which is why I wrote,

"Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do."

I also wrote, "If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality," again referring to permission to view the DVD. Of course to do the practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings, in person, or via a closed webcast.

I learned the Longde from ChNNR, in person, in several retreats, and have practiced the Longde in retreats. I pray that everyone who wants to receive the transmission in person, to be able to practice these wonderful teachings, can do so. Perhaps making the DVD available to those who are members and have had pointing out instruction, will lead those who buy the DVD to seek out and attend a Longde teaching, in person, or in a closed webcast. Perhaps this was the SSI thinking in making the DVD generally available in the "restricted" section.

ob


You know Old Bob, for somebody so experienced I wonder why you are still so full of bla bla bla. Maybe leave talking aside for a while.
invisiblediamond
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby asunthatneversets » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:01 pm

invisiblediamond wrote:
oldbob wrote:
Norwegian wrote:oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's not up to you however.

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.


Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was referring to what I believe is required to listen / view the Longde DVD, not to do the practice

You are exactly correct about practice, which is why I wrote,

"Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do."

I also wrote, "If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality," again referring to permission to view the DVD. Of course to do the practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings, in person, or via a closed webcast.

I learned the Longde from ChNNR, in person, in several retreats, and have practiced the Longde in retreats. I pray that everyone who wants to receive the transmission in person, to be able to practice these wonderful teachings, can do so. Perhaps making the DVD available to those who are members and have had pointing out instruction, will lead those who buy the DVD to seek out and attend a Longde teaching, in person, or in a closed webcast. Perhaps this was the SSI thinking in making the DVD generally available in the "restricted" section.

ob


You know Old Bob, for somebody so experienced I wonder why you are still so full of bla bla bla. Maybe leave talking aside for a while.


Wait what'd Bob do? Pretty sure he's just trying to be helpful.
asunthatneversets
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Sönam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:25 am

invisiblediamond wrote:
You know Old Bob, for somebody so experienced I wonder why you are still so full of bla bla bla. Maybe leave talking aside for a while.


Sometime I wonder what is the interest to make a communication out of a such personnal point of view ... is it to be approved or maybe to score a point ?

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
User avatar
Sönam
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: France

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby oldbob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:04 pm

invisiblediamond wrote:
oldbob wrote:
Norwegian wrote:oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's not up to you however.

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.


Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was referring to what I believe is required to listen / view the Longde DVD, not to do the practice

You are exactly correct about practice, which is why I wrote,

"Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do."

I also wrote, "If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality," again referring to permission to view the DVD. Of course to do the practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings, in person, or via a closed webcast.

I learned the Longde from ChNNR, in person, in several retreats, and have practiced the Longde in retreats. I pray that everyone who wants to receive the transmission in person, to be able to practice these wonderful teachings, can do so. Perhaps making the DVD available to those who are members and have had pointing out instruction, will lead those who buy the DVD to seek out and attend a Longde teaching, in person, or in a closed webcast. Perhaps this was the SSI thinking in making the DVD generally available in the "restricted" section.

ob


You know Old Bob, for somebody so experienced I wonder why you are still so full of bla bla bla. Maybe leave talking aside for a while.


:stirthepot:

HA! I completely agree! Excellent advice! :bow: :bow: :bow:

When I bla bla, hopefully what is appropriate for all arises in the right way and in the right time, understanding that what is appropriate for one may be not meant for another.

Perhaps someone's bla bla bla is another's helpful answer. Anyway, it is all bla bla bla, for me, as i really have nothing to say and no need to say it. Please note my quiet for several weeks on the web. Perhaps ALL words are empty of self meaning / existence and last as long as snow on a hot stove.

The OP asked," I have noticed that Rinpoche has been giving the lung for Ngondzog Gyalpo at the end of webcasts. Does this constitute transmission? Does this mean that a person could get this and practice it?"

Perhaps many Rinpoche's are giving the highest transmissions, right now, in many parts of the universe and all we have to do is tune in. Longde is wonderful but still a secondary practice. So my 2 cents is don't worry if you don't have the transmission and cannot practice it until you get the transmission.

:stirthepot:

That said,

:heart:
oldbob
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Fa Dao » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:28 pm

ok then, so if it isnt the AOM/Ngondzog Gyalpo lung then I wonder what does exactly constitute transmission for Longde? Its just that personally I have found that by applying the essential principles of Longde and the 4 DA to basically everything I do to be extremely helpful for me. I was hoping others could have easier access and not have to wait for however many years for the next retreat. Thats why I was wondering about the DVD coming out.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Malcolm » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Fa Dao wrote:ok then, so if it isnt the AOM/Ngondzog Gyalpo lung then I wonder what does exactly constitute transmission for Longde?


The Ngondzog Gyalpo initiation.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12516
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Longde Teachings

Postby Fa Dao » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Ok then..thanks Malcolm..so its the entire initiation that is required not just the lung. Got it. Interesting how these things work. Sometimes all you need is just to hear Rinpoche say a mantra etc and other times you need an entire initiation. Wish there was a guideline book out there for all of these things or even have it posted on the website what exactly is required for each thing that Rinpoche teaches...sure would be helpful...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Next

Return to Dzogchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

>