sleeping too much, how to get a grip?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
KonchokZoepa

sleeping too much, how to get a grip?

Post by KonchokZoepa »

hi, i feel like im sleeping too much and wasting precious time that i could be studying , practicing and meditating. i usually go to bed aroun 12pm - 1 am
and then sleep way too long. 10am the least and the most up until 1 or 2 pm. i would like to wake up at 8 am or before to do practice.

is there a method of gaining deeper and more rejuvenating sleep or other advice on how to sleep less?

i know ultimately its up to me and my determination to get up, but i would still like to talk about this.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Thomas Amundsen

Re: sleeping too much, how to get a grip?

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to really exhaust yourself to the point where you reset to a new schedule. I would do something like, say, skip a night of sleep. Then I can't manage staying awake the next day too long after I got home from work. 8pm I'm knocked out, up at 6am or so. It can help you reset and adjust to a different schedule. It's not healthy, but it might work for you. Just a suggestion; I'm sure there are other ways.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Go to bed earlier. According to certain sleep theories, pre-midnight sleep is more important that post-midnight sleep. Our bodies would naturally like to go to sleep a few hours after the sun goes down. Also, don't drink caffeine six hours before you go to sleep.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Do you have an alarm clock and a way to make coffee?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Matt J wrote:Go to bed earlier. According to certain sleep theories, pre-midnight sleep is more important that post-midnight sleep. Our bodies would naturally like to go to sleep a few hours after the sun goes down.
... and, if you can, sleep in a room with blinds open so the daylight triggers your wake-up.
Establishing a routine (any routine) also helps you go to sleep faster and sleep more soundly because it reinforces your circadian rhythms instead of constantly disrupting them. If you keep changing your bed-time by hours, you keep giving yourself jet-lag without even the fun of going on holidays.
Matt J wrote:Also, don't drink caffeine six hours before you go to sleep.
That one never bothered me too much, actually, though I do know people who are strongly affected.

:zzz:
Kim
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

thanks for the suggestions. and no i dont drink coffee. i dont like it. it is too strong. my hands get sweaty and i get on overdrive.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

oushi

Post by oushi »

Worth watching:
phpBB [video]
Say what you think about me here.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

When you wake up.... get up.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

What works for me is deciding "I will wake up at ____ o clock tomorrow" and making this resolution before I fall asleep. I then tend to wake up around that time. Then (and this is the hard part), get up as soon as you wake up. If I stay in bed, I fall back asleep.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

An infallible method if followed to the letter.

Set alarm.
When alarm goes turn it off and sit yourself on the edge of the bed.
Count to three.
Stand up.

There you go. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

KonchokZoepa wrote:thanks for the suggestions. and no i dont drink coffee. i dont like it. it is too strong. my hands get sweaty and i get on overdrive.
Well, there's no hope then :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Some ideas:

- Get into the habbit of waking up early for a few days. Force yourself to do that, like waking up at 8:00. Then, after a few days you get so much tired that you will go more early to bed.

- Get at least 30 minutes of direct daylight (not direct sunlight! lol, that may burn your eyes)...go outside and take some light. It will stimulate your brain in a way that will make you sleep better at night.

- Dont eat before going to sleep.

- Take a bath 1h before going to sleep.
disjointed

Post by disjointed »

light box
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
emaho

Post by emaho »

If you need so much sleep maybe the quality of your sleep is poor? That could be an indicator of depressions. In that case don't go too hard on yourself. Try to solve the problem at its root. If you don't have a job that situation can easily make you feel depressed. Doing some voluntary work might help.

And your intention to spend more time on study and meditation is of course very noble, but that can also be an avoidance strategy to escape dealing with the real problem of being unemployed and not knowing what to do with your life. Instead of pushing yourself harder and harder into that avoidance strategy be gentle on yourself and try to develop a realistic perspective for your future. Once you have that perspective give yourself a kick in the ass and do what it takes to reach your goal.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Odsal

Post by Odsal »

Set your alarm for the time you wish to wake up and then place it somewhere in your room that is out of reach. When the alarm goes off you will have to get out of bed in order to turn it off. It will be easier to stay out of bed once you are out and walking around.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

There is a medical exame - dont know the english name - where you can check your breath and heart beat while sleeping. That will help to see if you suffer from apnea. I did it once altought it was not conclusive for me. And i did it because sometimes I would catch myself not breahting. I suppose thats my nervous system failing to control breath (and thats a kind of apnea I think...not the usual obstructive apnea). I am not saying you suffer of this but you should check this kind of stuff. Sleep is to much important to not give attention to it.

I also advise physical exercises in a regular base. Thats great for sleep too.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

thanks nosta for the commment , i don t think i have apnea, i heard a story from my friend who has it and needs a breathing machine that he wouldn get an super strong adrenaline rush and wake up because of not breathing. so the machine makes him breath automatically. personally i think i breath allright in my sleep and am not willing to do such a tests.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

As someone else said, when you wake up, get up. Don't linger in bed. Take three deep, invigorating breaths.
Meditate twice a day. I find I need less sleep when I meditate regularly for at least two 30-minute periods.
Exercise regularly in the morning. I like to take a long walk.
Eat a big breakfast, medium lunch, and small simple dinner.
Don't eat during the three/four hours before bed.
Don't use a computer or bright screen for 30 mins before bed.
Use a program like Flux that changes the hue of your monitor after sunset so you aren't looking at daytime blue colors when you're trying to unwind.
I've found metta meditation while trying to fall asleep helps me sleep quickly and rest well. Doing this, I haven't had a nightmare in a very long time.

And honestly, I think a lot of the fatigue of our times is caused by monkey mind gone wild with gadgets, endless internet surfing, and entertainment at every turn. If you can simplify your activities in general, it may help you feel less tired mentally and need less sleep.

Also if you're trying to reset to a new wakeup time, I've found skipping dinner the night before and fasting until breakfast helps me get used to the new wakeup time in a day or two instead of a week. This works really great for jet lag.
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”