question about meditation heat

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
qwerty13

question about meditation heat

Post by qwerty13 »

Sometimes when i focus on my breathing during samatha i feel a ball of heat inside me (somewhere under my navel). Heat becomes more intense during inhalation and colder during exhalation.also my palms are not only getting warm, but very hot. It is allmost feels as if i was holding hot iron ball on my lap. Once i felt a narrow stream of heat rising from the naval area to my chest where the heat gently expanded. One time i felt ball of heat inside my throat.
All this does not happen every time. It happens pretty seldom infact.

I know that tummo meditation has to do with heat production and internal wind manipulation, but i don`t know how tummo technique is actually executed. (PLUS i know that tummo is completion level practice, not for beginners like me).I amnot trying to create heat, it happens or does not happen (usually it doesn't happen).

But here`s couple of questions: Is this spontaneus meditation induced heat "legit" tummo heat or something else? Are internal winds being manipulated in this case somehow? Is there any value in this spontaneus heat experience?

thanks
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: question about meditation heat

Post by Ayu »

Sounds like the chakras and meridians make some sensation. I have such things also from time to time. Seems like a purification-drama. :smile: I would try not to bother about it.
disjointed

Post by disjointed »

Crack a window.

Dunno if it's legit.
Tummo's supposed to produce bliss though methinks. I know when I have lots of bliss my body turns into a sweaty mess and the heat makes the air feel thick.
Digestion fire is just some warm feeling though, I think that's probably what you are experiencing. digestion fire isn't limited to the gut area.
Maybe it will be useful later.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

I've experienced this too, and it's not the same as the practice of tummo, tummo has a LOT of elements that are more than just feeling heat. Though that's not to say there's not a connection between the two, meditation and anything else we do have some effect on our channels and winds, as do inner yogas. But I think this is actually connected more to digestion and circulation than anything else. When your breathing relaxes and slows down and deepens, your digestive organs receive more oxygen and circulation. Even without going into meditation, take a moment and breathe deeply into your stomach a few times, and it should feel a bit warm in there. That's not to minimize your practice at all though, and even if that is all it was that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Firstly querty13 I think you should be putting this question to a flesh and blood teacher. If they are experienced they will be able to ascertain the causes or causes...which could be to do with the channels and winds, but could also just be burning off 'stuff '..Or both.
Another reason for suggesting hands-on instruction is the phenomenon of people reading terms and then looking them up and thinking that they understand on that basis..out of any wider context.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Meditation”