Longde Teachings

Rinchen Dorje

Longde Teachings

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

SSI now has Rinpoches Longde teachings on DVD!!!
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=539
I have noticed that Rinpoche has been giving the lung for Ngondzog Gyalpo at the end of webcasts. Does this constitute transmission? Does this mean that a person could get this and practice it?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: Longde Teachings

Post by Malcolm »

Fa Dao wrote:Does this mean that a person could get this and practice it?
It means they practice Nhondzog Gyalpo, not Longde.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Thanks Malcolm..I was hoping you would respond. Problem is that Rinpoche has only done the Longde retreat a few times and I am sure that a lot of people have not had the transmission. So I wonder why they put it out on DVD then. I am a big fan of Longde..simple and direct so that even guys like me can get it.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Fa Dao wrote:Thanks Malcolm..I was hoping you would respond. Problem is that Rinpoche has only done the Longde retreat a few times and I am sure that a lot of people have not had the transmission. So I wonder why they put it out on DVD then. I am a big fan of Longde..simple and direct so that even guys like me can get it.
My 2 cents is that it is easy to get too hung up on transmission / permission, and have this block your practice.

For me, it is is enough that people have a pointing out instruction on the nature of mind, and then remember that everything is included in the infinite potentiality of nature of mind.

If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality.

Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do.

i dunno???

If it works for you - go for it. If it doesn't, try something else.

For me, applying the key points of Longde deepens contemplation.

Nice that more on the Longde is out at a reasonable cost.

Previously:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=262

and

http://books.google.it/books?id=m4Oj1VG ... ns&f=false

Thank you ChNNR. Thank you SSI!!! :twothumbsup:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's not up to you however.

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

oldbob wrote: For me, it is is enough that people have a pointing out instruction on the nature of mind, and then remember that everything is included in the infinite potentiality of nature of mind.
This is also what ChNN says ... integration.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sönam wrote:
oldbob wrote: For me, it is is enough that people have a pointing out instruction on the nature of mind, and then remember that everything is included in the infinite potentiality of nature of mind.
This is also what ChNN says ... integration.

Sönam

Right, but the question is what is required to practice the methods of Long sde.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Norwegian wrote:oldbob,
"For me[...]"

It's up to ChNN, who has specifically stated time and time again, that to do Longde practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings. In other words participate in person at the retreat site, or via closed webcast when that happens, on Longde.
Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was referring to what I believe is required to listen / view the Longde DVD, not to do the practice

You are exactly correct about practice, which is why I wrote,

"Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do."

I also wrote, "If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality," again referring to permission to view the DVD. Of course to do the practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings, in person, or via a closed webcast.

I learned the Longde from ChNNR, in person, in several retreats, and have practiced the Longde in retreats. I pray that everyone who wants to receive the transmission in person, to be able to practice these wonderful teachings, can do so. Perhaps making the DVD available to those who are members and have had pointing out instruction, will lead those who buy the DVD to seek out and attend a Longde teaching, in person, or in a closed webcast. Perhaps this was the SSI thinking in making the DVD generally available in the "restricted" section.

ob
Pero

Post by Pero »

Fa Dao wrote:Thanks Malcolm..I was hoping you would respond. Problem is that Rinpoche has only done the Longde retreat a few times and I am sure that a lot of people have not had the transmission. So I wonder why they put it out on DVD then.
Well that's a pretty odd thing to say. There are a bunch of things published that require transmissions that one may not have yet. There have also been two (or 3+ if you include Longsal) books about it published in the past and mp3's from previous retreats available.

In the past Rinpoche told me it's enough to receive Lung of Longde if you want to start studying and practicing it but that if you want a concrete experience with it then you should attend a retreat on it. Now I'm not sure if lung of longde is the same as lung of Ngodzog Gyalpo however Jim said to me back then that it's enough to start. This is I think was also the opinion back in E-Sangha but I don't know if Rinpoche said something different at some point. In any case he seems to teach Longsal Longde about every three years.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Pero,
sorry if I wasnt more clear..what I meant was that for most of the practices lung is given at almost every retreat at the end..not so with the Longde..he doesnt do it very often..I was just wondering out loud why that is
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Fa Dao, I think you can buy everything @ SSI if you received DI (except for the longsal books), however, that doesn't mean you can practice everything without receiving the particular transmission. For example, there is a book entitled "Longchenpa's Precious Ship" which includes a Kunjed Gyalpo Guruyoga, but AFAIK, Rinpoche gave the transmission for this Guruyoga only once so far...
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Bhusuku,
I have watched the last two webcasts I was wondering about it for others
Pero

Post by Pero »

Fa Dao wrote:Pero,
sorry if I wasnt more clear..what I meant was that for most of the practices lung is given at almost every retreat at the end..not so with the Longde..he doesnt do it very often..I was just wondering out loud why that is
Oh! Sorry. No idea. Maybe it's one of those things that he gives only if someone asks him.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
invisiblediamond

Post by invisiblediamond »

oldbob wrote:
"For me[...]"

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was referring to what I believe is required to listen / view the Longde DVD, not to do the practice

"Of course, you should also do - exactly - whatever your teacher tells you to do."

I also wrote, "If you want to be official, you can request a lung of the teachings, and a short wang permission, in a vision or a dream, or in present reality," again referring to permission to view the DVD. Of course to do the practice, you need to receive Longde transmission and teachings, in person, or via a closed webcast.

I learned the Longde from ChNNR, in person, in several retreats, and have practiced the Longde in retreats. I pray that everyone who wants to receive the transmission in person, to be able to practice these wonderful teachings, can do so. Perhaps making the DVD available to those who are members and have had pointing out instruction, will lead those who buy the DVD to seek out and attend a Longde teaching, in person, or in a closed webcast. Perhaps this was the SSI thinking in making the DVD generally available in the "restricted" section.

ob
You know Old Bob, for somebody so experienced I wonder why you are still so full of bla bla bla. Maybe leave talking aside for a while.
krodha

Post by krodha »

invisiblediamond wrote:
oldbob wrote:
"For me[...]"

ob
You know Old Bob, for somebody so experienced I wonder why you are still so full of bla bla bla. Maybe leave talking aside for a while.
Wait what'd Bob do? Pretty sure he's just trying to be helpful.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

invisiblediamond wrote:
Sometime I wonder what is the interest to make a communication out of a such personnal point of view ... is it to be approved or maybe to score a point ?

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

invisiblediamond wrote:
oldbob wrote:
"For me[...]"

ob
:stirthepot:

HA! I completely agree! Excellent advice! :bow: :bow: :bow:

When I bla bla, hopefully what is appropriate for all arises in the right way and in the right time, understanding that what is appropriate for one may be not meant for another.

Perhaps someone's bla bla bla is another's helpful answer. Anyway, it is all bla bla bla, for me, as i really have nothing to say and no need to say it. Please note my quiet for several weeks on the web. Perhaps ALL words are empty of self meaning / existence and last as long as snow on a hot stove.

The OP asked," I have noticed that Rinpoche has been giving the lung for Ngondzog Gyalpo at the end of webcasts. Does this constitute transmission? Does this mean that a person could get this and practice it?"

Perhaps many Rinpoche's are giving the highest transmissions, right now, in many parts of the universe and all we have to do is tune in. Longde is wonderful but still a secondary practice. So my 2 cents is don't worry if you don't have the transmission and cannot practice it until you get the transmission.

:stirthepot:

That said,

:heart:
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

ok then, so if it isnt the AOM/Ngondzog Gyalpo lung then I wonder what does exactly constitute transmission for Longde? Its just that personally I have found that by applying the essential principles of Longde and the 4 DA to basically everything I do to be extremely helpful for me. I was hoping others could have easier access and not have to wait for however many years for the next retreat. Thats why I was wondering about the DVD coming out.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fa Dao wrote:ok then, so if it isnt the AOM/Ngondzog Gyalpo lung then I wonder what does exactly constitute transmission for Longde?
The Ngondzog Gyalpo initiation.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Ok then..thanks Malcolm..so its the entire initiation that is required not just the lung. Got it. Interesting how these things work. Sometimes all you need is just to hear Rinpoche say a mantra etc and other times you need an entire initiation. Wish there was a guideline book out there for all of these things or even have it posted on the website what exactly is required for each thing that Rinpoche teaches...sure would be helpful...

Return to “Dzogchen”