YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Need help in my studies~~~!!!!! - Dhamma Wheel

Need help in my studies~~~!!!!!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
YouthThunder

Need help in my studies~~~!!!!!

Postby YouthThunder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Ok,this is not exactly a counselling forum but any hlep would be appreciated.

I used to be an okay(imo) student while I am studying in my secondary school,after I finished my O-Levels equivalent ,I went for a vacation with my aunt and after I came back WHAM!!!!! My dad call me to sign up for a course(Lets call it X) which I am not exactly very enthusiastic about(trollollol?!),then I start my foundation level sort of thing(which I did not study very seriously but that includes alot of unrelated subjects so forget about that)

Ok,then the real thing starts,1st year....2nd........3rd........and now 4th year,2 more years to go,because I am the daydreamy type of student who spent lots of time studying(along with wandering in the house ,taking frequent breaks and daydreaming,ya especially the latter) and get somewhat satisfactory results,when I started my tertiary education ,I am already getting used to my new lazy habits(from my college,which is spending less time on studies ) and it become harder for me to change,and I got somewhat addicted to the internet(since it is a foreign country,I don;t really feel like buying their newspapers to read in my leisure) ,plus study materials are sometimes a problem,so sometimes I need to use the internet to find to find it anyway,that and together with cleaning and cooking duties that are being shared by housemates,I feel like I am contributing too less in my studies,and my grades reflect that.

Any advice?

P/S:Sometimes I felt really pissed about me losing my holiday and joining a course that I am not sure I wanted to study,really infuriating and depressing back at that time.Sometimes I just feel like #$%^ it,and see what happens.

Sarva

Re: Need help in my studies~~~!!!!!

Postby Sarva » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi
You aren't alone, I should be studying also for some end of month deadlines. I felt enthusiastic about starting the course, but it is the momentum that I find hard to keep. I am finding Buddhism helps with tacking 'aversion'. Aversion is a form of craving (tanha) in my opinion.

The way I do it to see the feeling of aversion as empty, having no owner, just arising with the thought "I must study now". So each time I start to feel aversion, I remind myself to let go of that feeling, or I try to replace the thought about the interesting areas of the topic I study or the enthusiasm I felt at the start of the course. It makes studying more interesting if I combine it with Buddhist practice e.g. mindfulness and watching aversion etc.

Unfortunately I have found no easy magic solution, which makes me get on with it and do well. Starting it is the biggest hurdle. Once started it gets easier, once there is a routine to reading books then it builds into a healthy habit and aversion to it becomes less noticeable. It is helpful to remember it isn't for ever (anicca) and that if you finish it you can focus on other things as a reward.

Without wishing to get too personal, I would remove the idea of compulsion or the course having anything to do with other people e.g. your father because we are all owners of our karma and by thinking or blaming other people (even if it is 100% their doing) we make freeing ourselves much harder. It is like carrying a burden when we want to be burden free.

Good luck!
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86

YouthThunder

Postby YouthThunder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 pm

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah, I have a research project due in two days and I haven't even started writing my research findings or conclusion out yet. I just have my methodology and literature review done. My solution is generally to accept that large amounts of coffee will have to be consumed in order to work all night before class. The main thing when you're caught in an academic jam is to take it humorously and just tough it out and try to get a high score. The other option is stop procrastinating and work with good concentration and effort everyday but chronic procrastinators like me often do well just waiting for the pressure to build up enough and then that pressure will just propel me forward and I'll wind up finishing what I need to do and I'll get a good grade, it's just more stressful. I have confidence that the pressure is just building in your case and that at some point it will propel you to the finish line. Good luck with your studies!
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

Sarva

Postby Sarva » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi
Glad it was of some help.
I suggest breaking the problems you face into different categories, on paper if easier. You mention English/non-English and materials in both posts, so I feel this is a concern to you. Try not to bring emotion into it, try to see it as fact based exercises, e.g. Break it down; 1) you need "books" 2) list where books can be found or be bought 3) search and narrow search down to 'must have' 4) purchase or download material and break into reading time e.g. 1 hour. I don't mean this will solve all your issues, but by making into little tasks instead of one big daunting horror, allows us to make a start rather than avoid the horror until it is too late. Just make a list of what you need first, so you can see it, then you have made the first step to solving the problem.

The issues you speak of in the first couple of paragraphs in your last reply are something which Buddhism can assist you and me with. As mentioned, you can use your study activities to watch your feelings change as you come into contact with different ideas or tasks during your day or week. You may feel aversion when there are 'must do' deadlines and your free time is surrendered to study. You will feel nostalgia when you feel a subtle craving to old memories or good feelings. This is a way to escape or avoid the present tasks. These are all feelings or ideas which have arisen in your mind, probably due to objects or other tasks. What happens is that we make contact with them (internally) and we then start to grasp them, or cling to them as if they are controlling us. So you feel like the course is a waste of time (aversion) see that feeling as aversion, label it, let it go. This is Buddhism in action, the reward is you will become a master, the joy is you will find that even study is Buddhism for you (I assume you feel some passion for Buddhism). Watch how you crave the forum, or watching TV, things which are not so appealing when you are at the start of the semester/course and have no pressure. My point is we can turn our study and all the thoughts and emotions into our Buddhist practice.

Alex123 just referenced a PDF book in another thread, and I came across this quote, although it is speaking of meditation, I saw it as applicable here so I thought I would share it :)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=774&p=185046#p185046

"Understanding that something is not beneficial is very different from thinking or judging that something is “not good”. If the mind labels something as “good,” there is craving already. With any object that arises, delusion is already on the scene. Delusion conceals an object‟s natural characteristics (but not the object itself) and labels it as “good” or “bad”. Lobha or dosa then do their work of grasping or rejecting."
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

David2

Postby David2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:54 am

Sarva

Postby Sarva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:05 am

Thanks for this quote David2, this is helpful for me too!

Retro is right in respect to energy. The first boost of focused energy is important and I find I often need to consciously propel it, either through 'stress' (as polarbearbudhha uses above), or reasoning with myself :soap: . :)

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Also make sure what you're majoring in is in line with your natural talent and that's something you're good at or enjoy doing. If you're good at math, try engineering, comp. sci, or other natural sciences; if you like writing, pick social sciences; want to take care of people? there're nursing, pharmacy, doctor tracks..Remember once you start a job in your career, you'll have to spend at least 8 hours everyday with it, so make sure that's something you like to do..

YouthThunder

Postby YouthThunder » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Thnks everyone for your replies,I will think of how to make the best out of my situation.

With metta.

Return to “Lounge”