YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

happiness - Dhamma Wheel

happiness

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
delf7

happiness

Postby delf7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 pm

i need some help understanding something. it has occured to me that "happiness" seems to discouraged in buddhism. i keep reading things along the line of "happiness leads to craving which leads to suffering, so happiness, then, is just another craving (no different than greed, lust, etc..) to be eradicated."
i am assuming i am just misunderstanding something, because it just seems wrong-headed to think that "being happy" is something to be avoided. any thoughts?
thanx.

Dan74

Re: happiness

Postby Dan74 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:33 pm

I think Buddhist practice is the best path to happiness because we discover that happiness doesn't actually depend on us having or not having anything. It is truly unconditional.

"joy at last to know there is no happiness to be found in the world," says Ajahn Brahm.

"Suffering I teach, and the path to the ending of suffering." said the Buddha. What better promise of happiness?
_/|\_

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Bagoba

Postby Bagoba » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:53 pm

"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless."

paarsurrey

Postby paarsurrey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I would like to quote following from Buddha on happiness:

1. "I have recognized the deepest truth, which is sublime and peace-giving, but difficult to understand; for most men move in a sphere of worldly interests and find their delight
in worldly desires. 3
"The worldling will not understand the doctrine, for to him there is happiness in selfhood only, and the bliss that lies in a complete surrender to truth is unintelligible to
him. 4
verses:3-4: Chapter 14:43

2. If a man commits a wrong let him not do it again j let him not delight in wrongdoing; pain is the outcome of evil. If a man does what is good, let him do it again;
let him delight in it; happiness is the outcome of good. Verse-19:Chapter 48: The Dhammapada

3. "The greatest happiness which a mortal man can imagine is the bond of marriage that ties together two loving hearts. But there is a greater happiness still: it is the embrace of truth. Death will separate husband and wife, but death will never affect him who has espoused the truth. Verse-7: Chapter 81:The Marriage-Feast in Jambunada

May be it helps
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”