Marihuana and meditation

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Marihuana and meditation

Postby Namu Butsu » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Nobody compared it to crack, sir.
More importantly most of us have smoked it...have talked about our experiences...and a good majority seem to agree that it's not beneficial to/detracts from the practice of awakening. Our numbers don't make us right...but its foolish to ignore the general consensus of a diverse and experienced group of people. Or dismiss it because you think we're harshing on your stoner lifestyle.

Okay then dont play computer games, watch tv, watch a movie, play cards, play pool, play sports, etc... since none of these are beneficial for enlightenment. unless you all chant, pray, and meditate 24-7 then i take my hat off to you. otherwise thinking that cannabis (which is infused with incredible healing power despite ignorant comments here that see even medical users as deluded) is harmful to your enlightenment.
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Namu Butsu

Postby flavio81 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:29 am

Namu Butsu wrote:
Nobody compared it to crack, sir.
More importantly most of us have smoked it...have talked about our experiences...and a good majority seem to agree that it's not beneficial to/detracts from the practice of awakening. Our numbers don't make us right...but its foolish to ignore the general consensus of a diverse and experienced group of people. Or dismiss it because you think we're harshing on your stoner lifestyle.

Okay then dont play computer games, watch tv, watch a movie, play cards, play pool, play sports, etc...

For what is worth, i don't do the things mentioned above, except watching a movie which i do with the frequency of average 1 movie per week. I don't watch youtube videos either.

It has been long since i've played a computer game... And well i could, because i'm qualified to create one from scratch if i wanted.
flavio81

Postby Dharmaswede » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 am

At some point, I think I have probably agreed with most positions on this thread...

So has anyone read "Zig Zag Zen: Buddhism and Psychedelics" edited by Allan Hunt Badiner and Alex Grey?
Dharmaswede

Postby smcj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Dharmaswede wrote:At some point, I think I have probably agreed with most positions on this thread...

So has anyone read "Zig Zag Zen: Buddhism and Psychedelics" edited by Allan Hunt Badiner and Alex Grey?

No, but when I Googled it, I came up with a review in Tricycle.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby murphythecat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 pm

I used to smoke weed everyday for multiple years at a time. from 17 to 25, I smoked nearly everyday, with only a year break. Excessive weed usage is not good at all, but it made me learn everything about jazz, electronica, rock music lol.

Weed did gave me a lot of insight, and I dont know if I would be a buddhist without its help.
I dont smoke anymore, I cannot smoke because I have a obsessive temperament.

What interest me however is people who are able to smoke once a month. Weed, and thats a fact, can give insight, profound ones even, when you are able to control your mind while on it.
The most important insight is always this:" men, you should be more happy from day-to-day and less negative", or " you are so attached to your body" or whatever. Its like weed allow one to see how, when sober, one is negative or reflect on his behavior more objectively. We are all so subjective!

some people in here that answered the thread againt the use of weed would be quite shocked, while high, to re-read themselves. Some of you sounds like frustrated children.

Weed is just entertainment, it wont bring you to enlgightment, but writing in this thread wont either.

While their is truth in, at one point, one will dont even want to smoke weed at all if he's far enough in his practise, but most of us arent.

Problem with any wordly habits its that it creates attachment to sensual desire, but coffee, good food, sex, watching a movie, taking a too long shower, taking a walk all can qualifie as creating attachment.

I honestly dont understand the strong position against weed. You Guys are breaking preceipts, insulting each other, filled with negative emotion, talking about weed usage.

:namaste:
murphythecat

Postby LastLegend » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 am

Pot does not work for me. I could not control my delusional thoughts when I smoked. Now I smoke the deadly ones-cigarettes. Damn. Maybe if I die, I don't have to go to work. Work is tiring. :rolling:
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Previous

Return to Personal Experience