is empowerement necessary for guru rinpoche guru yoga

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
KonchokZoepa

is empowerement necessary for guru rinpoche guru yoga

Post by KonchokZoepa »

thats my question. is empowerement and lung necessary for padmasambhava guru yoga's.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Malcolm

Re: is empowerement necessary for guru rinpoche guru yoga

Post by Malcolm »

KonchokZoepa wrote:thats my question. is empowerement and lung necessary for padmasambhava guru yoga's.
Generally, yes.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

It's also common to get the oral transmission for ngondro which always includes Guru Yoga: and within Nyingma ngondros
it's generally Guru Rinpoche guru yoga-- but not necessarily the wang to begin the ngondro.
So while wang is ideal--it seems that one can do the practice with the lung alone. Anyway one should be doing these
under the guidance of a teacher .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i belong mainly to the lineage of drikung kagyu and i havent received the lung or the wang for ngondro but maybe next time i see rinpoche he will bless me with them.

anyway concerning padmasambhava guru yoga, id rather do guru yoga to padmasambhava than jigten sumgon. so is it allowed to practice padmasambhava guru yoga without initiation
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KonchokZoepa wrote:i belong mainly to the lineage of drikung kagyu and i havent received the lung or the wang for ngondro but maybe next time i see rinpoche he will bless me with them.

anyway concerning padmasambhava guru yoga, id rather do guru yoga to padmasambhava than jigten sumgon. so is it allowed to practice padmasambhava guru yoga without initiation
Not without the lung.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

KonchokZoepa wrote: so is it allowed to practice padmasambhava guru yoga without initiation
It all comes down to your lama. If your lama tells you to do something and he hasn't given you the wang or lung and he knows you don't have the wang or lung, it must be okay. Ideally, you have the wang, lung and tri for every practice you do. But if your lama tells you to do it without these, do it. The lama trumps all other considerations.

ps. the first practice my lama told me to do was Ju Mipham's short Guru Rinpoche guru yoga. He gave me the text and said to do it. No wang or lung.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

KonchokZoepa wrote:i belong mainly to the lineage of drikung kagyu and i havent received the lung or the wang for ngondro but maybe next time i see rinpoche he will bless me with them.

Do you know that Garchen Rinpoche gives empowerments over live streaming webcasts? And...he has also stated that if you truly want the empowerment, you can receive it from his recorded empowerments. You can find them on Ustream.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i noticed that there are some webcasts but i dont know where, can you post the link.

malcolm, is this lung thing a bit dogmatic, since the lung transfers the lamas realization, or the seed of that. but isnt it kind of harsh that you can't do any practice without the lung for it. because not everyone has the possibility to receive lungs from lamas, but i dont think its a rule or a law that they cant because the dont have lung practice the dharma.

i have no idea when it is possible to receive lung for padmasambhava guru yoga. i dont even know if in the drikung lineage there is padmasambhava guru yoga. ive seen few on the internet and want to try them to see if my devotion flows more freely to padmasambhava than to jigten sumgön.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KonchokZoepa wrote:i noticed that there are some webcasts but i dont know where, can you post the link.

malcolm, is this lung thing a bit dogmatic, since the lung transfers the lamas realization, or the seed of that. but isnt it kind of harsh that you can't do any practice without the lung for it. because not everyone has the possibility to receive lungs from lamas, but i dont think its a rule or a law that they cant because the dont have lung practice the dharma.

i have no idea when it is possible to receive lung for padmasambhava guru yoga. i dont even know if in the drikung lineage there is padmasambhava guru yoga. ive seen few on the internet and want to try them to see if my devotion flows more freely to padmasambhava than to jigten sumgön.
Yes, in Drikung there is the three roots practice of Yangzab as well as the terma cycles of Nuden Dorje. You can get the transmission for Padmasambhava Guru yoga quite easily in drikung.

You can in the meantime supplicate Padmasambhava by reciting the seven line prayer, and so on.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Lhasa wrote:

Do you know that Garchen Rinpoche gives empowerments over live streaming webcasts? And...he has also stated that if you truly want the empowerment, you can receive it from his recorded empowerments. You can find them on Ustream.
Did Rinpoche say that? That's interesting because I believe that Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche says you cannot receive empowerment from the recordings of his webcasts.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Here are a few links to the Ustream channels for Garchen Rinpoche. I suggest searching under his name and also under the name of the empowerment you are interested in. The empowerments don't always have his name in the title. There are several different channels.
You can ask questions at [email protected]
There is information about the live-streaming empowerments on his Facebook page, Garchen Institute, and you can ask the institute for the printed copy of what he has said about empowerments over the internet.
I think there was a discussion about the empowerments here on D.W. but I don't remember where.
But, yes, someone on a live stream empowerment chat specifically asked if one could receive empowerment from a recorded webcast and the answer was yes. Someone with a user name from D.W. asked that question.
And the sangha member running the chat sent the question to Garchen Rinpoche.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32607819 13 Empowerments

http://www.ustream.tv/search?q=white%20tara White Tara

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/26843451 Vajrakilaya
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Lhasa wrote:
I think there was a discussion about the empowerments here on D.W. but I don't remember where.
But, yes, someone on a live stream empowerment chat specifically asked if one could receive empowerment from a recorded webcast and the answer was yes. Someone with a user name from D.W. asked that question.
And the sangha member running the chat sent the question to Garchen Rinpoche.
You have a good memory.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11944

:smile:
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Lhasa, thank you so much. :namaste:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

You might be interested in this.

Check out the live streaming of Garchen Rinpoche's teachings in Munich:

Thursday, 19.9.13:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/guru-dragpo
Friday and Saturday 20.9.+21.9.13
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/heart-sutra-teachings