Direct rebirth as a bug

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nosta

Direct rebirth as a bug

Post by Nosta »

Can you reborn as a bug? Like a spider, an ant, etc?

Its confusing to imagine an human being, full of conscience and much more clairy than a bug, to reborn as a bug.

I mean, it wouldnt be hard to imagine a downwards spiral, like: human, then reborn as a monk, then as a rat, then a bug; but directly from human to an insect...

Have you ever tought on that?
KonchokZoepa

Re: Direct rebirth as a bug

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i think you can be born as a tiny bacteria inside a dogs belly.

i once saw a dream of space and it was the energy of lama yeshe and lama zopa rinpoche revealing to me that most unimaginable rebirths are possible. there is nothing limiting your potential to be.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Nosta wrote:Can you reborn as a bug? Like a spider, an ant, etc?

Its confusing to imagine an human being, full of conscience and much more clairy than a bug, to reborn as a bug.

I mean, it wouldnt be hard to imagine a downwards spiral, like: human, then reborn as a monk, then as a rat, then a bug; but directly from human to an insect...

A monk is a lower rebirth than a human?? I think this secularism thing is going too far.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

I can think of humans who, in my non-omniscient opinion, are likely to be born much lower than a bug. :evil:

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

That depends on whether one believes that "consciousness" or "mind" is related to the size of ones brain and/or body.

Gassho
Seishin
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hitler's gotta go somewhere.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Being human is not the same as being better, I know that. But my question come to me when thinking in the conscience of a bug and the conscience of a human being. Bad or not, one is fully aware of things, more inteligent, etc; and then its hard to imagine how such a being can go directly from something like that (inteligent, aware of things, clear mind) to something so cloudy as the mind of a bug.

And remember, my point here is more about the clarity of mind and not about being good or bad. I know very well that many human beings are thousands of time worst than demons. Hitler is a good example.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Check out the "is space conscious" thread here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread

I think the question posed here is a complete misunderstanding of what it means to be human as well as what "rebirth" means.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I think the question posed here is a complete misunderstanding of what it means to be human as well as what "rebirth" means.
The lamas from Tibet that I've met would think the question posed here was spot-on. Only westerners have a problem with it.

Having said that, I remember Chime R. saying to the effect that humans tend to have karmic momentum (or something like that) and tend to be reborn human--but not always!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Nosta wrote:And remember, my point here is more about the clarity of mind and not about being good or bad.
"Clarity of mind" is a very temporary thing. Have you ever drunk alcohol or taken drugs? (Rhetorical question - you don't have to answer. :) ) Ever had a concussion or passed out? Ever been asleep?

Clarity of mind is so fleeting that it is amazing we have as much of it as we do. It is easy to lose it.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
undefineable

Post by undefineable »

smcj wrote:I remember Chime R. saying to the effect that humans tend to have karmic momentum (or something like that) and tend to be reborn human--but not always!
Whatever happened to the tortoise-and-rubber-ring analogy :jawdrop: ? It would make sense if the 'sangha jury' were still 'out' on such matters _ _
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}
Schrödinger’s Yidam

undefineable wrote:
smcj wrote:I remember Chime R. saying to the effect that humans tend to have karmic momentum (or something like that) and tend to be reborn human--but not always!
Whatever happened to the tortoise-and-rubber-ring analogy :jawdrop: ? It would make sense if the 'sangha jury' were still 'out' on such matters _ _
The tortoise-and-rubber-ring analogy isn't for just any human rebirth. It is for a human rebirth where one has both the opportunity and inclination to practice Dharma, hence the precious human rebirth. If weighed against all the trillions of ants, fish, and such, the way the rarity is expressed seems statistically pretty accurate.

A footnote to that idea: If the teaching on PHR is understood and believed, it negates 80%+ of current western culture. Most of our modern culture is based on the assumption that there is no thing such as "Ultimate Truth", and if there is, it is not accessible to humans. That teaching says, "No, it is possible, only it is very rare." The rarity of the opportunity is why we have concluded it does not exist--wrong!
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thanks for the answers so far.

KeithBC, good point! I didnt tought on that about clarity, thanks for clarifying my mind :D
AlphaOmega

Post by AlphaOmega »

How did rebirth work before humans? Humans have been on the scene for such a brief amount of time Earth-wise and cosmically. We will be extinct too in short order.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

As the thread suggests, you can be reborn as anything, and not just beings with a physical form. There are ethereal beings also.

Gassho,
Seishin
Schrödinger’s Yidam

AlphaOmega wrote:How did rebirth work before humans? Humans have been on the scene for such a brief amount of time Earth-wise and cosmically. We will be extinct too in short order.
It took a long time to get past the karma of being dinosaurs.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

lol, funny answer
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
lobster

Post by lobster »

No.

You might be taught this as part of Hindu influenced ignorance. It should be regarded as particular to forms of a buddhism that are perpetuated by those without a comprehensive education.
I have been 'taught' this in a Buddhist context. Some children in America are being 'taught' intelligent design as a form of 'science'.
I think we have to use a little of our post insect brain in all forms of 'teaching', otherwise the bugs might take over the earth . . . :namaste:
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

lobster wrote:
No.

You might be taught this as part of Hindu influenced ignorance. It should be regarded as particular to forms of a buddhism that are perpetuated by those without a comprehensive education.
I have been 'taught' this in a Buddhist context. Some children in America are being 'taught' intelligent design as a form of 'science'.
I think we have to use a little of our post insect brain in all forms of 'teaching', otherwise the bugs might take over the earth . . . :namaste:
This is satire, right?
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

tomamundsen wrote:
lobster wrote:
No.

This is satire, right?
I hope so, otherwise it is incredibly rude

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”