Nyingmapa Help

sangyey

Re: Nyingmapa Help

Post by sangyey »

:thanks:
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is there a Nyingmapa Lam Rim like the Gelug's have one with Tsongkhapa's?

I also read somewhere that between the 4 school there are different interpretations on the six perfections?

S
Josef

Post by Josef »

sangyey wrote:Is there a Nyingmapa Lam Rim like the Gelug's have one with Tsongkhapa's?

I also read somewhere that between the 4 school there are different interpretations on the six perfections?

S
Yes.
A good one that is translated into English is Jigme Lingpas Treasury of Precious Qualities.
Make sure you get the new edition since it contains the actual root text along with the commentary.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is this prayer recognized in the Nyingma Tradition? And if so is this the way it is spelled/pronounced?

SANG GYE CHO DANG TSOG KYI CHOG NAM LA
JANG CHUB BAR DU DAG NI KYAB SU CHI
DAG GI JIN SOK GYI PAY SO NAM KYI
DRO LA PAN CHIR SANG GYE DRUB PAR SHOG

I take refuge until I am enlightened in the Buddhas, the Dharma, and the Sangha.
By the positive potential I create by practicing generosity
and the other far-reaching attitudes,
may I attain Buddhahood in order to benefit all sentient beings.
heart

Post by heart »

sangyey wrote:Is this prayer recognized in the Nyingma Tradition? And if so is this the way it is spelled/pronounced?

I take refuge until I am enlightened in the Buddhas, the Dharma, and the Sangha.
Of course, only the Tantra part of the Nyingma is slightly different than the Sarma schools, the rest is the same. Pronunciation is the same.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

sangyey wrote:Is this prayer recognized in the Nyingma Tradition? And if so is this the way it is spelled/pronounced?

Surely it's 'recognised.' You can use it if you want.
There are also different refuge and bodhicitta verses in Nyingma tradition, but it doesn't matter if you want to use this Kadampa one.

There can be difference at this sentence: 'DAG GI JIN SOK GYI PAY SO NAM KYI'
The meaning is .... my merits of generousity and so on....
sometimes it would be changed to .... my merits of this practice and so on....
but this difference is not about Nyingma-Sarma, and I don't think it's a big deal.

The main point is to really generate the mind of refuge and intention. So pronounciation is probably not that important either. However, Nyingma school is popular in Kham area, maybe your Nyingma master would have a Kham accent and sound a bit different. Again it's not a big deal. We are foreigners, no matter what accent we learn, we all sound not-Tibetan. and even we can speak perfect Tibetan, so what? Buddha Sakyamuni was from India, but don't need to speak perfect ancient Indian to pray to him.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

sangyey wrote:Can you possibly give some tidbits on Nyingma Tradition?
Nyingma has a unique history (all of the lineages and sublineages do) - Nyingma tantric teaching originates specifically with Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava) and Padmasambhava is usually the central wisdom being in some form. Nyingma was originally a non-monastic tradition. Nyingma is not one tradition but a collection of lineages. They have more tulkus and tertons than anyone (they emphasize these traditions more than any other tradition). They are seen as (not correctly IMO) more esoteric than other traditions.

Nyingma history was published by HH Dujom Rinpoche: http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=14761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

kirtu wrote:
Nyingma was originally a non-monastic tradition.
It was both monastic and non monastic in its early days.
The monastic and ngakpa traditions were established in Tibet at virtually the same time.
Khenpo Rinpoche (Santaraksita) established the vinaya.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nangwa wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Nyingma was originally a non-monastic tradition.
It was both monastic and non monastic in its early days.
The monastic and ngakpa traditions were established in Tibet at virtually the same time.
Khenpo Rinpoche (Santaraksita) established the vinaya.
Thanks! I forgot about that. We should tell some Khenpo Santaraksita stories.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

Yea, Khenpo Santaraksita is pretty amazing.
There is a new book about his Tattvasamgraha called Omniscience and the Rhetoric of Reason by Sara McClintock.
its really good.

Return to “Nyingma”