Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shinnyo-En
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am
Posts: 2778
Link: http://www.shinnyoen.org/

Vid:

Any comments on them from my learned brethren here?

_________________
TWTB BIES OCB DDM BWF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shinnyo-En
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 407
plwk wrote:
Link: http://www.shinnyoen.org/

Vid:

Any comments on them from my learned brethren here?

Seems like a cult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinnyo-en

Quote:
Shinnyo-en practices a form of meditation called "sesshin" training. Sesshin (the word is composed of the two Chinese characters, “touch” and “heart”[4]) is meditation with the addition of guidance or insights given to trainees by specially trained “spiritual guides” (Jpn. reinosha).

Can't meditate without a Shinnyo priest. Which isn't free, no doubt.

The founder, Shinjo Ito, was a Shingon Buddhist. Why didn't he stay with Shingon instead of forming a new religion? :reading: Why did his wife have any part in forming this new religion? Was she a Buddhist monk or anything of any kind that would make her of any authority to form a whole new religion while calling it a form of Buddhism?

And before he died, why did he appoint his daughter as his successor?

It is better for the waters of compassion to be the tears one sheds for others and for the "fire of wisdom," to be the right mindfulness, effort, and concentration one develops in one's daily life. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shinnyo-En
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: Baltimore, MD
plwk wrote:
Link: http://www.shinnyoen.org/

Any comments ...


Fire ceremony is done by all the Vajrayana schools. It's taken directly from Indian Buddhism (which leaves open a bit whether it is just an esoteric Buddhist method).

Kirt

_________________
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shinnyo-En
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 407
kirtu wrote:
plwk wrote:
Link: http://www.shinnyoen.org/

Any comments ...


Fire ceremony is done by all the Vajrayana schools. It's taken directly from Indian Buddhism (which leaves open a bit whether it is just an esoteric Buddhist method).

Kirt

To be clear: "Indian Buddhism," but not pre-sectarian Buddhism.

I don't think the Theravadins or Pali suttas record any history of practicing fire offerings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shinnyo-En
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:27 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: Baltimore, MD
Individual wrote:
kirtu wrote:
plwk wrote:
Link: http://www.shinnyoen.org/

Any comments ...


Fire ceremony is done by all the Vajrayana schools. It's taken directly from Indian Buddhism (which leaves open a bit whether it is just an esoteric Buddhist method).

Kirt

To be clear: "Indian Buddhism," but not pre-sectarian Buddhism.

I don't think the Theravadins or Pali suttas record any history of practicing fire offerings.


I haven't ever heard of the Theravadins doing a fire ceremony but I would not assert it's exclusion in the Pali. It might be there in some form.

Kirt

_________________
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hickersonia and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group