HALP! in sewing a small-5 precepts-kasa (rakusu) Kwan-Um

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
paulus_germanus

HALP! in sewing a small-5 precepts-kasa (rakusu) Kwan-Um

Post by paulus_germanus »

Hello ppl :)

I'm about to take the 5 precepts during a ceremony in a Kwan-Um School of Zen centre and I always planned to sew my own kasa (rakusu) was this occasion to take place.

BUT :///////// I've spent 7 hours yesterday deciphering these kasa-sewing instructions composed by Merrie Fraser Ji Do Poep Sa Nim and to no avail :(
http://www.kwanumzen.org/wp-content/upl ... l-kasa.pdf
I'm lucky I started with paper and not fabric cause that would probably be some ruined material right off the start.

I've managed to finish the main front part

I should now stitch on the four corner squares and the frame, but I just do not understand the instructions given on how much the corners and frame should overlay the main part?

This much?:

Or maybe this much?:

The instruction given is this:

But nowhere else in the text is this 'pattern form #3' mentioned. Or was it a typo and what JDPSN meant was 'pattern FROM #3'? Which still doesn't explain anything cause part three is this:

and there is no pattern given there either.

After 7 hours of trying to guess what JDPSN meant I finally gave up, did some sitting and went to sleep.
So I'd massively appreciate anyone who has any experience in sewing Kasa to give me any further explanation on how should I proceed from this point on.

Thx :)
:group:
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: HALP! in sewing a small-5 precepts-kasa (rakusu) Kwan-Um

Post by Seishin »

I'm sorry, I know nothing about making a rakusu. Have you tried Youtube? I found these on there, they might be of some help... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ZbysQ ... 85A3F9AC0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hJwQBdQG8Q

Gassho,
Seishin
paulus_germanus

Post by paulus_germanus »

Thank you Seishin :) I really appreciate your help :namaste:

But unfortunately Korean-style Kasa (and subsequently it's manufacturing) is quite different from Japanese-style Rakusu. I'd watched all the instructional vids by Ven. Taigu, but regrettably haven't found the answer I was looking for :(
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

That is a shame. I hope you find the answer you're looking for before your precepts.
mogl

Post by mogl »

I am a member of Kwan Um also, and making my kasa as we speak. Do you still need/want help? What city/state are you in?
_Q_

Post by _Q_ »

mogl wrote:I am a member of Kwan Um also, and making my kasa as we speak. Do you still need/want help? What city/state are you in?
Since there are not a large number of Kwan Um participants here, finding others, as above, is very valuable.

Will your teacher review you work as you progress? If so, I would talk with him.

Overcoming the frustration of making a kasa is part of practice, and jukai.
Sentient beings are numberless, I vow to free them.
Delusions are inexhaustible, I vow to transform them.
The Dharmas are boundless, I vow to embody them.
The Buddha Way is unsurpassable, I vow to follow it.

Return to “Lounge”