Budha was wrong about desire

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nosta

Budha was wrong about desire

Post by Nosta »

Afterall, Buddha was wrong about desire...

phpBB [video]

:roll:

New age garbage...ai ai caramba!
oushi

Re: Budha was wrong about desire

Post by oushi »

Did you follow your desire to post this "garbage" on forum? Hmm....
Say what you think about me here.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

She advertises her book at the beginning of the video. I think she lifted the title, "The Sculptor in the Sky" from this Milarepa song:

I saw without eyes the visible realm
Heard without ears the sound of voidness,
Smelled without nose the natural state's scent,
And tasted without tongue reality's sweet taste.

An artist without hands
Drawing pictures in the sky
Seeing without eyes the myriad things
In perfect vision without movement or strain.

Well, at least this thread gave me a reason to post that nice Milarepa quote!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ugh...just ugh, are there people out there who take this seriously?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

New age crap is new spiritual path.

But I must recognize that many times people get to buddhism because they first arrive at New Age ideas.

And about this girl, I think that she says lots of useless things. And its amazing to see that an unknow woman like her knows more things than Buddha itself... -_-
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

This woman has some issues. From her website, "It was because of Teal's extrasensory abilities that she was inducted as a child into a local cult by a family acquaintance, where she was routinely ritualistically tortured and programmed for a period of thirteen years. She managed to escape from the cult when she was 19 years old. Since then, Teal has become a "spiritual catalyst" both accepting and utilizing her abilities to remind people of the united, energetic nature of this universe and to teach people how to find bliss in the midst of even the most extreme circumstances."

May she be free from suffering and the root of suffering...
shel

Post by shel »

She's kinda hot. Guess I still have desires. :shrug:
qwerty13

Post by qwerty13 »

anjali wrote:This woman has some issues.
...But is at least good looking though.

EDIT: Dammit! shel got here before me!
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

shel wrote:She's kinda hot. Guess I still have desires. :shrug:
:rolling:

Well, she is not ugly indeed lol
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Nosta wrote:
shel wrote:She's kinda hot. Guess I still have desires. :shrug:
:rolling:

Well, she is not ugly indeed lol
You guys can admire her appearance while watching an interview of her talk about her childhood abuse.
shel

Post by shel »

I listened to part of it. I suppose anything is possible but it does sound a little fishy. At six years old her abuser trained her to wake up at 3:22 am, go to the driveway, and he'd then pimp her out for the rest of the night? Were her parents completely out-to-lunch? Is 3:22 am the witching hour for pedophiles?
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

shel wrote:I listened to part of it. I suppose anything is possible but it does sound a little fishy. At six years old her abuser trained her to wake up at 3:22 am, go to the driveway, and he'd then pimp her out for the rest of the night? Were her parents completely out-to-lunch? Is 3:22 am the witching hour for pedophiles?
That part her story may have come later. She says she was involved with the cult until 19.

In her interview, there seemed to be genuine suffering when she discussed her abuse. She covers it up very well. She mentioned writing her book as an outpouring over a three month period after going through a lot of therapy and introspection. It's just my view, but writing that book seemed to be a form of self-therapy and coping for her. She was looking for answers and grounding. That book was her way of finding it. This is not making excuses for her suspect teachings. It's just that, if we get passed the facade, there is a deeply suffering person there. At least that's the way it comes across to me.

At this point, I've said enough on this. I really don't know her or her situation. Others can pick up the baton if they are interested.
shel

Post by shel »

Suffering as a catalyst for growth, if that's the message, is a good message. But it's not a new message. Same old book, new cover...
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

In the video she says that the suffering is not the desire itself but focusing on what we don't have and what we don't want. So we should not resist desire and appreciate the present. We should also understand that desire never stops, there is no end of it, thus there is no state to reach and hold on to.

The above statements can be easily matched with the Buddha's teachings. Her ideas about the universe, etc. are a different matter, but fairly understandable considering the cultural background, and they serve the practical application of her teachings.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

I knew it! I'm going back to Christivoodooislam with healing crystals, that's where it's at.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
denny

Post by denny »

yan kong wrote:I knew it! I'm going back to Christivoodooislam with healing crystals, that's where it's at.
Just make sure you do it in a blazing hot sweat lodge to get the maximum benefit.

Could always be worse. And if the dreamer/followers feel benefited and no one is harmed, who are we to condemn?

d
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

denny wrote:
yan kong wrote:I knew it! I'm going back to Christivoodooislam with healing crystals, that's where it's at.
Just make sure you do it in a blazing hot sweat lodge to get the maximum benefit.

Could always be worse. And if the dreamer/followers feel benefited and no one is harmed, who are we to condemn?

d
I take your point, but there's a difference between FEELING benefited and actually BEING benefited by something.

Buddhists (at least the ones I know and the ones on this board) are often skeptical of this kind of mishmash of teachings. It seems like Aloha Amigo! to many of us.

http://dctendai.blogspot.com/2010/07/al ... hical.html
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

She states that desire is necessary and unavoidable but admits that it leads to suffering. Not getting what you want, when you really do want it is suffering and she has no answer for that. If desire is so good, why is there still so much suffering in the world? How is that working out?

A wholesome desire for a wholesome outcome is okay and the Buddhist teachings do not prohibit wholesome desires (chandha vs. tanha).

See also the Unnabha Paradox in the Pali Canon:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... mana_Sutta

It is the desire to end all desires and that is wholesome with a peaceful outcome. :meditate:

To use an anology, let's say that the relativists are right and there are no absolute truths of any kind. Someone might retort: "but that is an absolute truth, you contradicted yourself!" The relativists could respond by saying that "the only absolute truth is that there are no [other] absolute truths" and that statement is perfectly fine.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Whats this New Age jibber jabber? A woman, a sad story, lots of lip gloss. I've seen better on Oprah!
disjointed

Post by disjointed »

Are we on this forum much better I wonder.

If we're going to think with conceit regarding understanding
time will reveal fresh ego wounds.

When I see teachers confronted by students with perverse views and they don't flinch I wonder how much they've tolerated from me without my knowing.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”