The Tsem Tulku thread.

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

The Tsem Tulku thread.

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Hehe Just watching some of his videos I always greatly appreciate this great teacher, His unique style of teaching certainly connects with a far reaching ranging auidence whilst not being a traditional Lama persay in his relation to the outside world his conduct is always perfect and his guru devotion unwavering to His Holiness Kyabje Zong rinpoche and other great masters like His Holiness the Dalai lama and the many others he has received teachings from. I must say ive learnt a great deal from his videos so I though I would post a few here for others to watch and learn from ! :woohoo:

Here's one extract from a Teaching regarding Lama Tsongkhapa for all my fellow Gelugs out there :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Re: The Tsem Tulku thread.

Postby plwk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I was there that day... memorable :popcorn:
plwk

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:55 pm

plwk wrote:I was there that day... memorable :popcorn:

Certainly some very amazing teachings regarding Lama Tsongkhapa :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Caz

Postby Caz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

A bit I found on his website about Vajrayogini very inspiring ! :woohoo:

Sacred secret practice
March 23, 2011

The following is a compilation of messages composed by His Eminence Tsem Tulku Rinpoche on the chat box at Rinpoche’s blog.

Did you know that the King of Dharma, Lord Tsongkhapa kept Vajra Yogini as one of his most precious and secret practices??? Lord Tsongkhapa practiced teachings from all the existing lineages of His time. He had 45 gurus from all lineages..

For Him to choose Vajra Yogini as one of His sacred secret practices, it means, Her path is still untainted, valid and very beneficial for those beings of this age. If Vajra Yogini is good enough for the King Of Dharma Tsongkhapa, it’s good enough for all of us for sure..Nothing further to check, because Lord Tsongkhapa has checked it for us already…

It’s like if His Holiness Dalai Lama or Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche says this practice is good, then it is good…full stop…

When we master the 11 Yogas of the sacred Vajra Yogini tantra, we master all phenomena that exist in all existence…All to be known in all planes/dimensions are directly and simultaneously perceived…homage to this Lady of Trauma who has elucidated the path to direct enlightenment.

This is my sacred shrine in my Ladrang to the Glorious Lady who is the supreme emanation of all Buddha’s perfections. She manifested at Mount Kailash Her complete and perfect Tantra.

Many great Mahasiddhas of India, Nepal, Mongolia, Tibet, China and now the world have accomplished what would have taken three aeons to accomplish within 14 short lifetimes…Buddhahood. May we be blessed to be able to master and accomplish Her practice.

I also placed a consecrated stone carved Vajra Yogini in my fish pond. All the fishes circumambulate around Her. Stone would be the most durable substance to enshrine Vajra Yogini’s essence/reminder since it’s outdoors although She is everywhere especially within ourselves. Finding the Vajra Yogini within ourselves makes all the problems, conceptions, unhappiness completely dissipate once and for all…

I love watching all the fishes swim around her and plant seeds of Buddhahood in their mindstreams. It is nice and peaceful at night. I have koi, oscars, parrot fishes, sucker fishes, river fishes all in this pond. Some of the fishes are over 12 inches in length and swim past Vajra Yogini so elegantly.

I have clay pots laid down nearby as shelters/homes for them. Parrot fishes loves these homes…they go in and out always. Super cute. I love animals so much and feel so good when they are ok….

I constantly bow to Vajra Yogini’s holy feet and wish all get connected with this profound practice. She is the Buddha who through Her practice can absorb all our samsaric traumas..hence she is the ‘Trauma Lady’…

Some will work so hard almost giving their lives for it to own a house, car, and go on trips. They spend so much energy, time and burn themselves out for these goals. But for higher goals such as Vajra Yogini’s practice, they find it too hard, ask how long more to go, feel like giving up, always have ups and downs non-stop, and question their progress that they put so little time into….for higher goals or the ultimate goals, the efforts will be beyond what you can ever imagine…but one day at a time and you get there.

Tsem Rinpoche

Caz

Postby plwk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 pm

From Kechara's New Gompa's VY statue before and after...
Image Image
plwk

Postby plwk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:06 pm

More here and here
plwk

Postby Caz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Ahhhh the great lady is so beautiful :thumbsup:

Caz

Postby plwk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 am

plwk

Postby Caz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:46 pm

They may well be the same ! :spy:

Caz

Postby plwk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:19 am

plwk

Postby Caz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Now this one made me laugh.
You gotta practise beige !

Caz

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 am

Here is a recent video of H.E Tsem Rinpoche requesting Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche to remain in this world for a very long time.
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-ri ... poche.html

Caz

Postby Steveyboy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Well Tsem Tulku seems to be a rather interesting Lama. He had a difficult life but what was amazing was 2 things for me. 1 is that he never gave up on his Lamas and practice, no matter how hard things became, he never gave up. And the other thing is the fact that he was raised in America and he went over to the India to become a monk. Can you imagine that? He was right in the heart of Hollywood (read-samsara) and yet, he yearned for the teachings and to be a monk. I think that is why Rinpoche's biography is such an inspirational read. This video is a rather nice recollection of his background and he tells us that his teachers insists that he writes a book and why he is talking about his story... Check it out:-

Steveyboy

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:54 pm

plwk wrote:Image

Wow! What an incredibly beautiful statue!

Tsem Tulku Rinpoche always finds the coolest ways to present Buddhism. :thumbsup:
Luke

Postby Alfredo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:44 am

Assuming that critical posts about (putative) lamas are permitted, I have received the following account by a former monk who knew Tsem (and who gives permission for his remarks to be published). I think you will at least agree that it raises important questions--and not only about Tsem's credentials:

It was during a couple of visits to Drepung back in 1990 and '91 that I got to know Tsem, or "Tenzin Sopa" as I knew him then. During that time, Tsem didn't attend any philosophical classes. He didn't debate, and AFAIK, he didn't complete any exams. Not even the "Du-dra" (Collected Topics) class, which is the first year in the 20 or so years of the Gelugpa examination process. So you can draw your own conclusions about the extent of his knowledge of Gelugpa philosophy. I heard that he had a Bhutanese ID card, which allowed him to live in India without visa problems.

He seems to have spent his first few years (of a total of 8 spent at Ganden) befriending various lamas with the aim of trying to get someone to "recognise" him. When none were forthcoming, and the medium for the Gaden oracle was retiring, he tried to get that position. Unsuccessfully, of course. But it is consistent with his strategy of trying to get some sort of title without really earning it. Becoming a geshe probably didn't atttract him because it would have been too much work and would have taken too long.

One of his good friends was Gomang's Lobsang Yeshe, unrecognised claimant to the title of Kundeling Rinpoche, <SNIP>. Neither did any study, and both spoke English better than they did Tibetan. They used to spend their days being served tea by Lobsang Yeshe's attendant and trying to think up ways to become the next Lama Yeshe or Zopa Rinpoche. While Lobsang Yeshe at least had an unrecognised claim to being a lama and had completed 6 or 7 years of the geshe curriculum, Tenzin Sopa didn't have any title. But it was fairly obviously something that he craved.

Even at that stage, he had a story to tell, though my take on him at the time was that he was an unwanted, unloved and unhappy child who had found solace in Buddhism. But he was never satisfied with being an ordinary Buddhist. In his own personal sense-making life narrative, he was special. Perhaps imagining himself as a reincarnate lama may have been a mechanism to show everybody who had mistreated him that they had been making a big mistake. The fact that he had been suicidal (he once told me how he wanted to kill himself so that he could come back and start life over again) suggests to me that he was not entirely balanced mentally.

Eventually, practical exigencies seemed to have prevailed, with the powers-that-be in Shartse college seeing the advantages of having a fluent English speaking lama for raising money for the college and attracting sponsors for individual monks. I don't know anything about the teacher who recognised him as the reincarnation of a former abbot of the college. I don't know what authority he had to recognise incarnations. I don't know of any other monks that were also recognised by him. (It would be interesting if Tsem was the only one, and whether the teacher benefited personally from the recognition.) Nor do I know on what basis he was actually recognised. (Did he correctly select possessions of the former abbot?) These are questions to which those who currently follow him are entitled to know the answers. But perhaps it's beside the point--the main thing is that Shartse College issued him with some sort of official document recognizing the recognition, and the rest is history.

Some of the young monks at Drepung used to refer to him as "Lama Dzuma" ("fake lama").

That said, since then I have had nothing to do with Tsem, and I have no personal beef against him. He once did me a favour for which I was very appreciative at the time. AFAIK, he observes the monk's vinaya purely and therefore at least deserves the basic respect accorded to any Buddhist monk.

I have also been informed that the following website--which pointedly avoids proper names, presumably out of fear of legal retaliation--is really about Tsem's organization, Kechara:

http://insidethecompany.wordpress.com/

It seems that the Kechara organization is suffering quite a few defections right now, not least because of Tsem's famously mercurial and tempermental personality. You may choose to interpret his mind-games as "crazy wisdom," but these allegations deserve to be more widely known. For example, the above blog depicts its unnamed "chairman" as a cult leader who spies on, manipulates, and physically abuses his own followers. It also seems that there has been a wave of high-level defections lately, and that the ex-Kecharians are starting to organize themselves.
Last edited by Jikan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <SNIP> marks a Shugden referece
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Alfredo wrote:Assuming that critical posts about (putative) lamas are permitted, I have received the following account by a former monk who knew Tsem (and who gives permission for his remarks to be published). I think you will at least agree that it raises important questions--and not only about Tsem's credentials:

It was during a couple of visits to Drepung back in 1990 and '91 ... AFAIK, he observes the monk's vinaya purely and therefore at least deserves the basic respect accorded to any Buddhist monk.
Yes, well, without the name of the author of the statement I am afraid that this can easily be viewed as a slanderous fairy tale since it cannot be cross-checked for the veracity of the claims.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Friendly & preemptive reminder:

History has shown discussions about Shugden/Dolgyal on websites such as this one result in flame wars. The management has taken a decision not to allow any discussion/debate, and that means from all sides, regarding all things Shugden/Dolgyal including: Teachers, monasteries, associated organizations, images, audio/video.

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=12768

thank you for your understanding.

OM AH HUM VAJRA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUNG
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby JKhedrup » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Criticize ur guru all you want, let's 'compare' where u are in a few years and where your guru is. Results count! The end.

When u criticize ur teacher, u are criticizing all those who follow him & all those who 'enthroned' him also

By choosing ur lover over ur teacher is a mistake, becos eventually u will seperate from ur lover & u lost ur teacher too

Some treat their lovers who are full of wrong views, ego, laziness better than their gurus and take their side against their guru!

Some criticize their guru after years of love, care, teachings following the negative examples of some other 'students'. Wake up

All teachers have their devadattas and Judas, forgive them, continue to grow & reach those who want to change. LOL

Tsem Rinpoche in his own words. Some of many sentences about his right to be worshipped, the lack of appreciation of his students etc. Posted on twitter for the world to see. There are also the constant threats on his blog about "not taking it anymore and moving back to Ganden", "leaving it all and going back to America" etc. Now, if people want to take such a person as their teacher, that is their right.

But at least they should have the information. I have not seen any other teacher of Buddhism make such long diatribes on the net (at most one could argue they would be appropriate in the context of a private interview with a student, and even that would be pushing it).

The closest thing to TR in the Internet spiritual universe is Guru Swami G.
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Postby Karma Dorje » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 pm

JKhedrup wrote:
Criticize ur guru all you want, let's 'compare' where u are in a few years and where your guru is. Results count! The end.

When u criticize ur teacher, u are criticizing all those who follow him & all those who 'enthroned' him also

By choosing ur lover over ur teacher is a mistake, becos eventually u will seperate from ur lover & u lost ur teacher too

Some treat their lovers who are full of wrong views, ego, laziness better than their gurus and take their side against their guru!

Some criticize their guru after years of love, care, teachings following the negative examples of some other 'students'. Wake up

All teachers have their devadattas and Judas, forgive them, continue to grow & reach those who want to change. LOL

Tsem Rinpoche in his own words. Some of many sentences about his right to be worshipped, the lack of appreciation of his students etc. Posted on twitter for the world to see. There are also the constant threats on his blog about "not taking it anymore and moving back to Ganden", "leaving it all and going back to America" etc. Now, if people want to take such a person as their teacher, that is their right.

But at least they should have the information. I have not seen any other teacher of Buddhism make such long diatribes on the net (at most one could argue they would be appropriate in the context of a private interview with a student, and even that would be pushing it).

The closest thing to TR in the Internet spiritual universe is Guru Swami G.

There is a special place in vajra hell for people who can't spell "your" and "because" properly.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
~Arthur Carlson
Karma Dorje

Postby michaelb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Karma Dorje wrote:There is a special place in vajra hell for people who can't spell "your" and "because" properly.

but you can only spend 140 kalpas or less there.
michaelb

Next

Return to Gelug