YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Camping trip suggestions? - Dhamma Wheel

Camping trip suggestions?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Camping trip suggestions?

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Greetings all,

Over the Easter break, I'm going camping with my son. My son enjoys camping, but any other times we've been camping in the past it's always been:

- With my wife there too, and other families with children
- At a caravan park, which was the 'base' for the entire trip
- In a large tent

This camping trip is going to be a bit different, as we're going to be camping in state parks, spending one night at each...

Lerderderg State Park
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... e-Park.pdf

Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... e-Park.pdf

Creswick Regional Park
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... l-Park.pdf

... and because of the need to move (and the absence of adult assistance), it'll be an old-skool "3 man" tent, rather than the more elaborate tent we usually use for camping. I expect we'll stop at places along the way and won't be driving continuously for any long period of time.

I'm sure it's going to be a great time regardless, but I want to "be prepared", as per the old Scouts motto, and I'm not talking about pocket-knives, ropes and tarpaulins... I'm talking about the challenge of an 8 year old boy, and the ever-potential malaise of the 21st century child - boredom!

I do have a few ideas of my own. He took a bit of a shine to cricket at the last camping trip, so that should be on the cards. Bushwalking is on the radar, but whilst I could happily walk all day, I need to remain cognizant of the fact there's a not particularly sporty 8 year old in tow! Frisbee is always a good option too. Also, I've got a gas lamp so that in the evenings we can read stories together etc.

So, yeah... as you can see I'm not completely unprepared, but I'd welcome any suggestions anyone might have on possible activities, or for you to share some of your special childhood camping experiences so that I can get some ideas on how he, looking back, might fondly remember the camping trip in the way you remember parts of yours. (Mine all sucked, because I was forced to go camping with Scouts and dreaded school camps and being forced to do activities!)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Re: Camping trip suggestions?

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Greetings Retro,
Had I known, I would have said - come down here. Plenty of on-site accomodation and a freshly mowed 'campground' in a bend of the South Esk that is as soft as a mattress. And there's plenty of equipment and things to do. This is the best time of year down here and there's a lot of wildlife about.

A couple of suggestions:
- orienteering (using a compass and a map to get somewhere).
- geocacheing
- swimming - just watch out for snakes. I still run into a big tiger snake now and then.
- camp cooking
- star gazing

With Lederderg State Forest - the last time I was there there were a lot of guys on trail bikes.
Same with Creswick - our place bordered the State Forest there and on weekends and during Easter - a lot of noise from trail bike riders.
I hope you have fun!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Greetings Ben,

Orienteering is cool. That was the one thing I enjoyed about Scout & school camps. Actually, no, I also enjoyed Rogaining... in fact, come to think of it, I preferred that to orienteering because it was a bit more strategic.

But Orienteering, even "getting from A to B" can definitely be incorporated into the trip... when the bushwalking is taking place, I'll definitely have to get him involved in the navigation.

Hmm... you've also just reminded me that I used to have a compass when I was younger, I wonder whether it's still at my parent's house? :thinking:

I hadn't heard of geocaching before, but I like its moxie.

Thanks for the tips and local experiences!

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 pm

No worries,
Have a look at some of the geocaching websites.
That should be fun. I was listening to the radio a few weeks back - an interview with an australian women who is big into geocaching and talked about some of her experiences, including finding a geocache at Everest Base Camp which had been sealed in ice. Sounds like a lot of fun.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Greetings,

.... and we now have a $10 compass. It will do for now.

(I knew I asked the question here for a reason!)

Metta,

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:34 am

Retro, if you have an iphone it comes with a built in compass and GPS.
Like all compasses, it is sensitive to magnetic fields.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:50 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 am

I haven't shown you my sundial watch, have I?
I've got it around somewhere - I should pull it out and take a photo.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:02 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 am

Hi, Retro,
Just a couple of quick thoughts ...
Castlemaine and Creswick are old goldmining areas and you might be able to find a place that lets visitors try panning for gold. There is probably the odd historic park and museum around, too. Maldon is a nice little place, too - or was, 20 years ago :embarassed:

And you might be surprised by how well Bennett goes with hiking. An eight-year-old did the Hinchinbrook Island Trail (see ) with her big sister and a group of adults two years ago and the only bit that slowed her down was the swamp - over waist deep on her but only(!) thigh deep on us.

And a pack of cards can be a good entertainment standby.

Have fun!

:namaste:
Kim

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:09 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:31 am

How about animal spotting, learning how they hide and tell tale signs they are about?
learning how to tell the direction/time without compass/watch?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 am

Hello Retro,

Have a great time with your son - make lots of wonderful memories, and take lots of photos.

Look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:29 am

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:23 am

post deleted
Last edited by rowboat on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Yana

Postby Yana » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:53 pm

gosh..my childhood memories..jeez..my parents use to drag me to these "camping trips"..all i do is listen to my discman and day dream about my crush and how cute he looked during art class..but i'm not in art class i'm in the middle of nowhere and absolutely hated it when we had to stop to look at the "view".But there was one thing i remembered we sat around a fire at night ..slowly cooked food and started telling stories and jokes and just talk about anything..and also i remember lying down and looking at the stars..they were so beautiful and vast and great..and i had a mystery book with me and read it next to the fire..wooo..i wish i had a little brother or sister i would have been the storyteller!grr.

Maybe you should do that too bring a mask of some kind sit around the fire and be a story teller..make it dramatic and memorable so that you'll have him giggling and laughing.And i know he'll never forget that.I mean I wouldn't. :tongue:
Life is preparing for Death

Return to “Lounge”