Phantom sensations while chanting and/or meditating?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Phantom sensations while chanting and/or meditating?

Postby emulations » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine while chanting and/or meditating. I'm of the Nichiren sect so I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo daily and recite the Lotus Sutra. I start off with the daimoku and within a few moments, I feel a strange sensation in my feet and ankles. I'm usually seated on a chair while doing this so I don't think it's a fact that my weight is pressing down or something like that. It's a bit like a numbing sensation, not unpleasant at all but very hard to describe and it's been happening since I took up my practice again (roughly around 5 months ago).

I've only come across another post at another site of someone describing the same as I and others replied that it may be a process of karma purification. Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this (or any possible explanation) or I'm just imagining things :shrug:
emulations

Re: Phantom sensations while chanting and/or meditating?

Postby dyanaprajna2011 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Yeah. When you take up a practice that centers your mind, you're going to experience all kinds of weird things. And it could be any number of things going on. It could be karma purification. It could be your ego fighting against being let go. It could be you being more in tune with your mind and body. The important thing is to not become attached to it or put any thought into it, but just let it go and continue with your practice.

Back when I first converted to Buddhism, I started with anapanasati meditation, and no matter how cool and comfortable I was, I would get really hot. It's just one of those things that's going to happen, but we have to learn to let go of and pay no mind to.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
dyanaprajna2011

Postby emulations » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 am

Thank you for your kind reply.

I also find myself experiencing intense heat even though it's a cold day and I'm just sitting still and relaxed. It doesn't bother me at all, just makes me plain curious about what's happening and I'm glad that it's not just me imagining things.
emulations

Postby dude » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 am

emulations wrote:Thank you for your kind reply.

I also find myself experiencing intense heat even though it's a cold day and I'm just sitting still and relaxed. It doesn't bother me at all, just makes me plain curious about what's happening and I'm glad that it's not just me imagining things.

I do know that one. I do have feelings both physical and mental during sitting practice that I don't have at other times, including sweating.
One good friend once told me "If you're not sweating you're not really doing it yet."
dude

Postby emulations » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 pm

dude wrote:
I do know that one. I do have feelings both physical and mental during sitting practice that I don't have at other times, including sweating.
One good friend once told me "If you're not sweating you're not really doing it yet."

:rolling:

That seems pretty accurate. I can be literally freezing when I start chanting but eventually I get very sweaty and hot and have to take off my sweater even though it's a cold day.
emulations

Return to Personal Experience