Was Nichiren Enlightened?

Namu Butsu

Was Nichiren Enlightened?

Post by Namu Butsu »

I am sure Nichiren Buddhist believe that Nichiren is enlightened, but is there any letters of his where he speaks of his enlightenment? From what I read I know he doubted if he was expounding the Lotus Sutra, because he was not protected until he had his vision. So was he already enlightened before his doubts or did he eventually become enlightened? Or has he yet to be enlightened. I would love to see some of his letters on this subject.
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Aemilius

Re: Was Nichiren Enlightened?

Post by Aemilius »

You would do well by reading the Lotus Sutra itself. The subject of enlightenment is redefined it this magnificent sutra. Lotus Sutra takes away the earlier small vehicle version of the enlightenment, and says that every one has to attain the complete awakening of a samyak-sambuddha. Your question is not really valid, if you mean the standard Sravakayana enlightenment.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
emulations

Post by emulations »

He writes in one of his goshos that he vows to attain Buddhahood. Depending on the sect, Nichiren is considered a bodhittsatva or the Eternal Buddha of the Latter Days.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In Nichiren there is the same issue as in chinese, tibetan and indian buddhism namely: 1. Do the Buddha qualities develop gradually through the practice of the bodhisattva path? or 2. Do they exist primordially?
Nichiren takes the second alternative, because in the first case Buddha would not be eternally enlightened, which is emphasized in Nichiren. And the buddha qualities would be caused, which is also contradictory, because buddhahood is transcendent and uncaused.
This leads to the question: How could "enlightenment" take place, if it is uncaused and eternal?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
dude

Post by dude »

Namu Butsu wrote:I am sure Nichiren Buddhist believe that Nichiren is enlightened, but is there any letters of his where he speaks of his enlightenment? From what I read I know he doubted if he was expounding the Lotus Sutra, because he was not protected until he had his vision. So was he already enlightened before his doubts or did he eventually become enlightened? Or has he yet to be enlightened. I would love to see some of his letters on this subject.
"No matter how much one may hate Nichiren, one cannot doubt his enlightenment."
"A person named Nichiren was beheaded at Tatsunokuchi, his soul having reached Sado Island."
"My teachings before the Tatsunokuchi persecution should be regarded as the Buddha's provisional teachings, while the teachings since should be regarded as the Lotus Sutra."

-from the writings of Nichiren Daishonin
dude

Post by dude »

emulations wrote:He writes in one of his goshos that he vows to attain Buddhahood. Depending on the sect, Nichiren is considered a bodhittsatva or the Eternal Buddha of the Latter Days.
Shakyamuni studied under the teachers of his day before he attained enlightenment. Even after he started teaching, he did not reveal that he had already attained enlightenment in a past life until the Lotus Sutra.
Nichiren's course was likewise.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Namu Butsu wrote:I am sure Nichiren Buddhist believe that Nichiren is enlightened, but is there any letters of his where he speaks of his enlightenment? From what I read I know he doubted if he was expounding the Lotus Sutra, because he was not protected until he had his vision. So was he already enlightened before his doubts or did he eventually become enlightened? Or has he yet to be enlightened. I would love to see some of his letters on this subject.
In Letter to Gijo-bo Nichiren writes"

"The teaching of the Juryo chapter bears special significance for me, Nichiren. T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo understood it in a general way but did not reveal it in words, and the same was true of Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu. The Jigage section of the chapter states, ‘...single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha, not hesitating even if it costs them their lives...’ I, Nichiren, have called forth Buddhahood from within my life by living this sentence. This means that I myself embodied the Three Great Secret Laws, or the reality of the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, implied in the Juryo chapter. But let us keep this to ourselves!"

"‘Single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha’ also means to see the Buddha in one’s own mind, to concentrate one’s mind on seeing the Buddha, and that to see one’s own mind is to see the Buddha. I have attained the fruit of Buddhahood, the eternally inherent three bodies, [by living this sentence]. In achieving this I am sure I surpass T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo, Nagarjuna and Mahakashyapa. The Buddha admonishes that one should by all means become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself. This is why I have emphatically urged you not to hesitate to give up your body and your life for the sake of the Lotus Sutra. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

Nichiren

The twenty-eighth day of the fifth month in the tenth year of Bun’ei (1273)

Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin; Vol 2.
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

we have a Necromancer wandering about . :tongue:
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by illarraza on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote:
In Letter to Gijo-bo Nichiren writes:

"The teaching of the Juryo chapter bears special significance for me, Nichiren. T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo understood it in a general way but did not reveal it in words, and the same was true of Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu. The Jigage section of the chapter states, ‘...single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha, not hesitating even if it costs them their lives...’ I, Nichiren, have called forth Buddhahood from within my life by living this sentence. This means that I myself embodied the Three Great Secret Laws, or the reality of the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, implied in the Juryo chapter. But let us keep this to ourselves!"

We all call forth Buddhahood when we chant to a valid object of worship with the same mind as Nichiren. All beings sentient and insentient contain Buddhahood. Merely containing or even calling forth Buddhahood does not make one a Buddha a priori.

What are the Three Great Secret Laws that Nichiren actualized?
1. The True Object of Worship. Nichiren revealed the Gohonzon
for the very first time.
2. The Invocation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Nichiren revealed the
practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the only one valid
in the Latter Day of the Law.
3. The place where one chants Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to this object.
This is the place where the Gohonzon is inshrined.

Nichiren Daishonin was the messenger, not the source.This he repeatedly stated, and in his most important treatises, for
example, from the Senji Sho:

"It was not I, Nichiren, who made these three important predictions. I believe it was solely the spirit of Sakyamuni Buddha, entering my body, who made them. I am overwhelmed with joy. This is the important 3000 Existences
Contained in One Thought doctrine of the Lotus Sutra. According to it, a mind of any person is equipped with the seed of Buddhahood, which could grow to blossom in his mind when he upholds the right faith. As a result, his mind could function like that of the Buddha. This is what happened to me, Nichiren, when I made these three predictions. Due to my faith in the Lotus Sutra, I was able to see things before they actually took place......"

And from the Real Aspect Of The Gohonzon we read: "This mandala is in no way Nichiren's invention"

Nichiren continues in Letter to Gijo-bo:

"'Single-mindedly yearning to see the Buddha' also means to see
the Buddha in one's own mind, to concentrate one's mind on seeing
the Buddha, and that to see one's own mind is to see the Buddha.
I have attained Buddhahood, the eternally inherent three properties
of life, by living this sentence." (MW2-236)

"I have attained Buddhahood" means "I am a Buddha"! However, it doesn't mean the Eternal Original Buddha because "Nichiren" rather than "Shakyamuni Buddha" goes against the Lotus Sutra and the writings of Nichiren. There are countless Buddhas throughout the universe but only one Original Eternal Buddha.

What are the eternally inherent three properties?

1. The property of the Law or the truth to which one is enlightened.
2. The property of Wisdom to perceive the truth.
3. The property of Action or the action Nichiren took to save us all.

Nichiren is saying that these three properties are inherent in life, in all life both sentient and insentient. By attaining Buddhahood, like he did, we toowill display the three enlightened properties inherent within our lives.

However, you do not have the same mind as Nichiren so enlightenment through your teachings is impossible. The truth or Property of the Law that you embrace is not the property of the Law possessed and realized by Nichiren: The Law of Namu Myoho renge that is one with the life of the Eternal Shakyamuni Buddha. You unlike Nichiren, reject Shakyamuni Buddha.

Nichiren teaches:

"Japan and so on to the whole of Jambudvipa should
uniformly take the Master of Teachings Lord Shakya of
the Original Doctrine as the Object of Worship"

Likewise, were I to be generous, you merely embrace two of the Three Great Secret Laws* taught by Nichiren. Therefore, no one could develop the Three Enlightened Properties by embracing your teachings. Its like a recipe to make coffee.Three things are required: Ground coffee beans; water; and a vessel. Without all three you can never make coffee.

*Generously considering Nam Myoho renge kyo to be equal to Namu Myoho renge kyo.

Mark

Return to “Nichiren”