the great vegetarian debate

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

What is the cheapest vegetarian diet?

Postby Luke » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello everyone,

What do you think would be the very cheapest vegetarian diet on which someone could still remain healthy?

My guess is a diet consisting of potatoes, beans, apples, milk, oatmeal, and whatever the cheapest vegetable is where one lives.
Luke

Re: What is the cheapest vegetarian diet?

Postby Individual » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Just eat whatever vegetables, but make sure they're cooked. And remember to include vegetables high in protein:
http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/protein-food.

Also, dairy products (cheese, milk, butter).

And lots and lots of brown rice, water, and warm drinks, like tea.
Individual

Postby Lazy_eye » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Lentil soup goes a long way. :)
Lazy_eye

Postby Indrajala » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Luke wrote:Hello everyone,

What do you think would be the very cheapest vegetarian diet on which someone could still remain healthy?

My guess is a diet consisting of potatoes, beans, apples, milk, oatmeal, and whatever the cheapest vegetable is where one lives.

Brown rice (buy it in bulk), tofu (that depends on your source I guess), beans, fruits, cabbage, carrots, etc...

Chinese vegetarian is really cheap to cook. Just pan fry cheap vegetables (cabbage, carrots, etc...) and toss it on rice (brown rice mixed with whole grains is filling, nutritious and cheap).
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:48 pm

where I'm at, it's all about the beans and rice.

I get rice bulk at a Korean grocery down the way, I get beans and lentils and cowpeas and other legumes at the mexican grocery down the other way, and I get whatever sauces and spices and things I can find on the cheap. (El Pato & Valentina are among my favorites. Pickled ginger is a good cheap flavoring agent.) You can stock up on tofu and tempeh and other soy staples to save cash.

Cabbage is a fantastic vegetable because it's inexpensive and full of nutrients. Oh, and while at the Korean grocery, look for dried mushrooms: much cheaper than the fresh ones and helpful to keep the nutritional balance in order.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Indrajala » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Jikan wrote:Cabbage is a fantastic vegetable because it's inexpensive and full of nutrients. Oh, and while at the Korean grocery, look for dried mushrooms: much cheaper than the fresh ones and helpful to keep the nutritional balance in order.

Do you make your own kimchi?
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 am

Huseng wrote:
Jikan wrote:Cabbage is a fantastic vegetable because it's inexpensive and full of nutrients. Oh, and while at the Korean grocery, look for dried mushrooms: much cheaper than the fresh ones and helpful to keep the nutritional balance in order.

Not anymore. In Tendai it's OK for us to be married but not so good to provoke marital strife over fermenting veg in the kitchen. :cheers:

So no, not anymore.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Huifeng » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:20 am

That will depend a lot on where you are, availability and prices, etc. What is cheap in one place, may be very expensive elsewhere.

The comments by Huseng and Jikan are good.

I lived for years by buying large sacks of rice and bulk dried grains and legumes from a wholesome store. Takes a bit of effort to lug them home, but you only need to do it every few months. Make sure to get a broad range, eg. chick peas, lentils (red, yellow, brown), red / kidney beans, black eyed peas, black beans, soy beans, etc. I'd get whole grain or fragrant (basmati, jasmine, etc.) rices every so often. Then I'd do weekly or even bi-weekly fresh vege and fruit shopping, just focusing on what was cheap and in season, but also including some fresh tofu. (All this was bought from Korean, Indian and Chinese groceries near central Auckland, NZ, about two blocks from my flat, so I could even do it on the way home from school sometimes.) I also had a yogurt maker flask, and I'd buy the powdered yogurt mix in bulk. Bulk buying can save you mega $$, for sure! I lived very cheaply, and also very healthily, too. I got so much into the art of cheap cooking, I soon ended up working part time as a chef ... but that's another story!
Huifeng

Postby Indrajala » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 am

Huifeng wrote:

That will depend a lot on where you are, availability and prices, etc. What is cheap in one place, may be very expensive elsewhere.

The comments by Huseng and Jikan are good.

I lived for years by buying large sacks of rice and bulk dried grains and legumes from a wholesome store. Takes a bit of effort to lug them home, but you only need to do it every few months. Make sure to get a broad range, eg. chick peas, lentils (red, yellow, brown), red / kidney beans, black eyed peas, black beans, soy beans, etc. I'd get whole grain or fragrant (basmati, jasmine, etc.) rices every so often. Then I'd do weekly or even bi-weekly fresh vege and fruit shopping, just focusing on what was cheap and in season, but also including some fresh tofu. (All this was bought from Korean, Indian and Chinese groceries near central Auckland, NZ, about two blocks from my flat, so I could even do it on the way home from school sometimes.) I also had a yogurt maker flask, and I'd buy the powdered yogurt mix in bulk. Bulk buying can save you mega $$, for sure! I lived very cheaply, and also very healthily, too. I got so much into the art of cheap cooking, I soon ended up working part time as a chef ... but that's another story!

One other option, I'll add, is going to Foguangshan temples as they dish out vegetarian lunch and dinner for free. :twothumbsup: Tasty and healthy too.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Indrajala » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 am

Jikan wrote:
Huseng wrote:

Not anymore. In Tendai it's OK for us to be married but not so good to provoke marital strife over fermenting veg in the kitchen. :cheers:

So no, not anymore.

I've made pickles before, but not kimchi.

In Japan asazuke 浅漬け or lightly pickled vegetables are popular. They're only slightly pickled so they remain crispy and fresh. Just putting cucumbers, carrots and peppers in an apple vinegar + salt mix, which is quite light, and leaving it in the fridge for a week or two produces a tasty and healthy rice topping. It isn't meant to be 100% pickled though and I think it'll go bad eventually, but you'll have a store of rice topping vegetables for awhile. :smile:
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh, I've had those: they're really tasty. Didn't know they're so easy to make. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby fragrant herbs » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:42 pm

oh, in just reading this i remembered that i have to go juice with carrots. ugh. but i have no idea what is the cheapest way to eat. probably beans and rice and potatoes like they did during the depression years in america, or was that just potatoes and beans? healthy? probably not. raw food is the healthiest way to eat except that some veggies need to be cooked, which ones i don't know. juicing is very healing, and that much i know since i cured my chronic fatigue years ago by drinking raw carrot juice along with garlic, parsley and celery.
fragrant herbs

Veganism

Postby Ervin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 am

I find that whenever I am on a vegan diet I am more calm. Right now I statred a raw vegan diet and I feel much calmer. In the past when I was on a vegan diet i have done the blod tests and my leves of evrything especialy cholestrerol would be very good.

I personaly believe that being vegan is a moral choice. Compassion to all sentient beings I believe should be practised.

I don't know wether I will remain vegan for good but I do believe it is a good thing.

What is your opinion on the topic?

Thanks
Ervin

Re: Veganism

Postby Huifeng » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 am

:twothumbsup:
Huifeng

Postby Sonrisa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Wow, that is really interesting! I never knew that veganism or vegeterian could help with such a state of mind?

Not that I am doubting you but is there some research to this as well?
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
Sonrisa

Postby Hanzze » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:23 pm

One more step forward is, just to take what is given :-)
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby Indrajala » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Ervin wrote:I find that whenever I am on a vegan diet I am more calm. Right now I statred a raw vegan diet and I feel much calmer. In the past when I was on a vegan diet i have done the blod tests and my leves of evrything especialy cholestrerol would be very good.

I personaly believe that being vegan is a moral choice. Compassion to all sentient beings I believe should be practised.

I don't know wether I will remain vegan for good but I do believe it is a good thing.

What is your opinion on the topic?

Thanks

After giving up meat, I feel sick just smelling it. I often walk past BBQ restaurants here in Tokyo (Yakiniku) and feel disgusted from the gut up.

Abstaining from eating meat is good for your health, both mental and physical. You'll feel better both spiritually and physically.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Ervin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 am

Sonrisa wrote:Wow, that is really interesting! I never knew that veganism or vegeterian could help with such a state of mind?

Not that I am doubting you but is there some research to this as well?

There is no reasearch done to my knowledge and it must be that I don't eat sweets, and fatt and I don't drink as much coffee so I supose I don't have as much energy.

Maybe thats why I think I am more relaxed, who knows otherwise no research, just personal experience and I wanted to see wheter anyone else has similar experiences.

Thanks
Ervin

Postby neverdowell » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 am

I'm vegetarian, and about 80% vegan. I only eat milk, cheese and eggs if they are in dishes such as pastries, cakes and junk food. Mostly I eat rice, pasta, vegetables, peanuts, fruit, tea and coffee.

When I went off meat completely I noticed clearly less anger in my mind. Today, as a matter of fact, I accidentally ate some meat in a pastry, and I felt haziness and a touch of anger arise in my mind immediately. It was only a tiny bit of tuna. So I definitely experience less negativity since being a vegetarian.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
neverdowell

Postby Inge » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 am

I have been vegan more than 10 years now, but feel mentally and physically like shit most of the time.
Inge

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dharma