training to be a priest questions

bogert

training to be a priest questions

Post by bogert »

First of all, hello, I'm new to the forum.
I've been studying Buddhism from a scholarly perspective by my self for a few years, then stopped and now I'm back. Mostly I've been translating texts for my own study... a bit rusty at the moment but want to get back into it.
Anyway, I have thought of studying to practice shingon-shu buddhism for a long time.
I was wondering if I would need to essencially leave my normal life to do so?
I'm married and teach full time... so I didn't really think it would be possible to do so, but I thought I could ask and see if it is possible.
Would it be possible to study kind of part time or in incriments?
I saw the different things I would need to do for shido kegyo.. and its quite a commitment...

Is it possible to do the training a little bit at a time, or would I need to take off time from work?
or
is it simply too much to do and work at the same time.
Also can Shingon priests be married? I noticed a lot of Buddhist priests in Japan are married.
By the way I'm visiting Koyasan tomorrow. If anyone there would like to talk I'd be interested. I can speak Japanese okayish (normal conversation is fine, but specialized topics might be tough.)

Thanks for any ideas or help.
Chris
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: training to be a priest questions

Post by Seishin »

Hi Bogert, welcome to the forum :hi:

I'm not too sure about the structure of training in Shingon or where it takes place, but I have to say that being a priest is a big commitment and not one taken lightly. Although Priests in Japanese Buddhism can continue to be married and have jobs, social lives etc you will have to give up some of your time to the role and to training, the latter of which will require you to take time off work. All of this could effect your relationship with your wife/children/family/friends etc.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Gassho,
Seishin
bogert

Post by bogert »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I realize that it would take up a significant amount of my free time. At any rate I should make some connections with the local Shingon temples in my area, there are several within bicycle distance.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Fantastic. I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin

Return to “Shingon”