Question about Amitabha Mantra

Nosta

Question about Amitabha Mantra

Post by Nosta »

I dont know to much about the Amitabha Mantra (om ami dewa hrih) and saddly I wont find useful information on internet.

Can someone explain me better the mantra? What does it mean, what benefits can bring and so on?

Another question: what should one do more, recitate Namo Amitabha Buddha or om ami dewa hrih ? Or is that doing the same?

Thanks!
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Question about Amitabha Mantra

Post by Admin_PC »

Just an FYI: Om Ami Dewa Hrih is the Tibetan version of oṃ amitābha hrīḥ.

Found some helpful links:

This whole site is good.
From Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche's Malaysian branch website wrote:All a sentient being needs to do is to make an aspiration and chant the name of Amitabha Buddha or recite the mantra of this Buddha and he will receive the following benefits: -
1. Amitabha Buddha will always be over him, day and night, to bless him with safety and peace as well as to protect him from harm that his adversaries may want to cause him; at the time of his passing on, he will be able to take rebirth in the Blissful Pure Land of the West at will.
2. He will be able to lower his chances of meeting with calamities, reduce his bad karma, increase his prosperity and happiness, and lengthen his life.
3. He will be able to liberate those who have passed away and help them to take rebirth in the Blissful Pure Land of the West.
Nine Benefits of Mantras from HE Garchen Rinpoche

Amitabha Mantra in Japanese Shingon practice
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I tend to mentally (or out loud, if I'm not surrounded by people who would try to have me committed) recite "Nam mô A di đà Phật" (as pronounced by the Vietnamese) pretty much any time I'm not actively doing something else with my mind. I'm not familiar with the mantra -- my Vietnamese friends have always called the recitation a mantra so I suppose it is practiced differently by different groups.

My suggestion would be to stick with the one that resonates with you the most, or the one that is practiced by your own local sangha.

In either case, I presume the mantra you typed means "Homage to Amida Buddha" or similar.

Be well, friend. :namaste:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thanks for your answers :)

Porkchop, nice links! Thanks ;)
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

I memorised the Mantra for Rebirth in the Pure Land.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmmS6SGZ1c

:smile: :namaste:
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thats true devotion!

Return to “Pure Land”