Toni Packer

greentara

Toni Packer

Post by greentara »

"when has zazen ever had anything to do with sitting on a cushion?"

Well, of course -- when sitting on a cushion. Here, I sit on a swing in the backyard, or inside on a couch during the winter storms. I don't call it zazen. Maybe it's not. Who cares? When I sit, the whole universe is sitting. When I stand, guess who stands up? If anybody knew who was really doing what, they wouldn't be able to place a name for it. Nope, they wouldn't need to say a word at all. Otherwise, call it what you will, it's probably vanity regardless. What I like about Toni is, you won't find much if any vanity there. That's what's rare"

Genkaku, letter section
Rick

Re: Toni Packer

Post by Rick »

I did several retreats with Toni in the Springwater Center. She's very down to earth, simple, modest. Profoundly influenced by Krishnamurti's teachings. Work of the moment, everyday awareness as meditation rather than (or in addition to) formal on-the-cushion sitting.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I always really liked Krishnamurti and still do, but never got any real understanding of what he was talking about without time 'on the cushion'. Otherwise it is all 'listening to talks' and 'watching videos' and 'thinking how profound it is'.

On the other hand, I am very mindful of the mind's ability to create 'idols' of whatever it believes in through emotional projection and wanting to defend itself. I got a lot of that from Krishnamurti but again to get it on more than a verbal level, takes something more than 'reading krishnamurti'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Rick

Post by Rick »

The practice part of Krishnamurti's teachings is in his form of meditation, moment-to-moment choiceless awareness. Living with/in this awareness is a life changer.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
greentara

Post by greentara »

Toni was also influenced by Kapleau Roshi although she didn't like all the rituals involved.
Jidhu Krishnamurti's writings were inspirational but he didn't seem to follow his own teaching. He loved to shop and buy expensive Saville row suits and was quite elitist. He didn't mingle with the common man but was very friendly and mixed freely with the English aristocracy.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

greentara wrote:Jidhu Krishnamurti's writings were inspirational but he didn't seem to follow his own teaching. He loved to shop and buy expensive Saville row suits and was quite elitist. He didn't mingle with the common man but was very friendly and mixed freely with the English aristocracy.
Did he teach that one shouldn't do those things?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
greentara

Post by greentara »

All I can say is if you are living in 'choiceless awareness' as Krishnamurti taught. He was very choosy in what he bought, how he lived and who he mingled with.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

greentara wrote:All I can say is if you are living in 'choiceless awareness' as Krishnamurti taught. He was very choosy in what he bought, how he lived and who he mingled with.
Well, I haven't read much of his stuff, but I doubt that he taught that people should not make choices.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

The First and Last Freedom with the foreword by Alduous Huxley is a perennial book in my view. As a person Krishnamurti had his weakenesses but he is well worth reading.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Zen”