Taking Leave

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
Luke

Re: Taking Leave

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks for your work as a moderator here, Greg.

For what it's worth, many of the members here (like me) don't follow controversial issues here closely and don't really care about them. I don't post here that often, but it seems to me that you've done an okay job as moderator. I certainly wouldn't have the patience for such a thing, so I respect your diligence.

Enjoy your vacation! :)

Dorje Shedrub

Postby Dorje Shedrub » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Thank you for your service, Greg. It is true that moderating is often a thankless job, and often full of grief. Wish you all the best during your vacation.

DS

michaelb

Postby michaelb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm not sure of the etymology behind the term moderator, but I would like to think it refers to someone that makes things more moderate and less extreme. Where there is aggression, to calm it with patience; to add cooling reason to the heat of passionate emotive debate.

At times on DW, both in threads and PMs, I have been bemused by unnecessarily inflammatory accusations and harsh speech. I know some posters here enjoy "shooting from the hip" and speaking in very 'direct' [or rude] ways to make a point, but my "constructive criticism" would be that moderators should be as moderate in their speech as possible and encourage that culture of calm discussion amongst other DW members.

That said, I'm sure all the moderators here do a difficult job to the best of their ability, and that is commendable.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks for your work here, Greg.
For my part I can only say that I have found you consistently friendly, helpful, thoughtful and supportive.
Thank you! :bow:

I think you have earned a holiday and I hope you enjoy it - and I hope you do return to your role here.

:namaste:
Kim

Qing Tian

Postby Qing Tian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 am

Greg, haven't had much (any) chance to touch virtual hands with you as yet. From what I have read in the various threads that involve you as a moderator you are decisive when it is required, and largely do not close or stop threads prematurely. As a participant in discussions (from what I have read of course) you often show great insight, humour, compassion and understanding. Are you perfect? No, but then it would be unrealistic to expect you or any of us to be so. You are human. :smile:

It is a difficult task to be a moderator of a forum that encourages vigorous debate. Perhaps you may be able to use the heaps of negativity that have been dumped on you to deepen your own insight into the nature of metta? Either way, enjoy the break from this, find some peace and return only when you are ready. We all have something to learn from you.

Until then... :namaste:
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:54 am

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

shel

Postby shel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:38 am

I've always liked gregkavarnos as a member of this forum. He's got spunk. But that kind of spunk makes for a terrible moderator. I suggest not taking leave and simply dropping the role of moderator. Isn't that the obvious solution to the problem?

What was described in the OP is awful, really awful, and the fact is that the situation will be no different a month from now. Taking leave, rather than dropping the role as moderator, will not solve anything.

Think of it this way, Gregkavarnos has given what he can, but now it's time to let someone else take over. There is absolutely no need to prolong Gregkavarnos' suffering.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:18 am

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 am

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 am

shel

Postby shel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:28 am

shel

Postby shel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:33 am

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 am

M.G.

Postby M.G. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 am

I can respect your decision. Spiritual discussions have a way of turning into sour and heated arguments, and who wants more of that?

We've had some disagreements on this site, but I always appreciated your willingness to defend my right to express myself in my more controversial posts. Best of luck to you, and enjoy your leave.

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:57 am

" My heart's in the Highlands
my heart is not here.
My heart's in the Highlands
chasing the deer."

Robert V.C. Burns.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 am

Son of Buddha

Postby Son of Buddha » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:40 am

Martin007

Postby Martin007 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:47 am

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 am

Martin007

Postby Martin007 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:50 am

Return to “Announcements”