my dog is dying

Help required with personal difficulties.
DanaRichards

my dog is dying

Post by DanaRichards »

I have heard of tonglen for the dying. I am an inexperienced practitioner and have no teacher- so I am not sure if this is the course I should take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karma Dorje

Re: my dog is dying

Post by Karma Dorje »

I am very sorry to hear this. It is really wonderful that you are thinking this way to be of benefit and a great blessing for your dog.

Reciting the mani mantra (OM MANI PADME HUM) is very effective as is reciting Amitabha's mantra (OM AMI DEVA HRIH).

You can use the practice for sentient beings at the time of death from Lama Zopa:

http://www.amitabhahospice.org/public/s ... breath.pdf

None of these require empowerment.

It is best to recite audibly in the presence of your dog. There is tremendous power in all of these mantras to benefit at the time of death and the feeling of love can provide a very positive environment for his or her passing. Tonglen is definitely positive but the benefit of mantra is that it is heard by the being and forms an imprint, perhaps propelling it to a pure realm. It is really important to keep any sense of grief in check in the immediate period after death. It is said that a being in the bardo after death has senses that are seven times as acute and any strong anguish or sadness can be very upsetting and confusing to them. Whatever you can do to project a strong feeling of love and compassion will similarly be of tremendous benefit.

If you like, please post a picture of your dog with his or her name and I am sure several of us here will recite prayers and mantras for both of you from afar.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
DanaRichards

Post by DanaRichards »

Thank you so much. I have no picture of Skip. He was a very old daschund and died this morning. I am making use of the link you gave and the advice about the sensitivity of the bardo.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

May Skip quickly be reborn in the Pure Lands. I will do Medicine Buddha practice for him tonight.

You can say prayers for him as well, recite mantra (OM MANI PEDME HUNG [Chenrezig Mantra], OM AMI DEWA HRIH [Amitabha Mantra], THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE BEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA [Medicine Buddha Mantra]), and dedicate the merit for him to be reborn in the Pure Lands or a Dharma household.

You can still do tonglen for him if you like - you breath in all the obscurations of Skip and all beings and when you breath out you visualize that all beings get all your merit and are transformed into Buddhas. However some people find this practice challenging. I would recommend a kind of easy practice recommended by Sogyal Rinpoche in his book "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" (I think that is the title) where you visualize Skip bathe in wisdom light from any Buddha you like, Skip is them completely purified, and at the end you can visualize Skip reborn in Amitabha's Pure Land. My Sakya teacher also says that it is better to visualize animals in human for for this but it's best to do what you are comfortable with.

Kirt

THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE BEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
DanaRichards

Post by DanaRichards »

Thank you all for your compassionate response. I have learned quite a bit from this because of your posts.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I will pray for Medicine Buddha too and recite Amitabha's name for your dog. May he achieve a better rebirth and, if possible, the Pure Land of Amitabha.
lobster

Post by lobster »

DanaRichards wrote:Thank you so much. I have no picture of Skip. He was a very old daschund and died this morning. I am making use of the link you gave and the advice about the sensitivity of the bardo.
:consoling:
Everyone knows or comes to know death. Not easy.
I have a picture of Skip. From your mind. From your heart.

What a wonderful thing is a dog. :namaste:

OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH

Return to “Help Required”