Six month retreat

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Six month retreat

Postby lkug.pa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 am

Hello all,

I'm thinking to do a six month retreatment in an anuttarayogatantra.

Anyone has and idea about? Did someone a 6 month retreat? What is the experience?

Thank you!
:namaste:
To understand the emptiness of inherent existence is to know dependent-arising as the reality of all phenomena.
Nagarjuna's Seventy Verses, verse #68
lkug.pa

Re: Six month retreat

Postby lkug.pa » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:52 am

Plz guys, someone? I need help :(
To understand the emptiness of inherent existence is to know dependent-arising as the reality of all phenomena.
lkug.pa

Postby smcj » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:26 pm

This is very much into the "ask a qualified lama" territory.

My understanding is that without proper preparation the best result that could happen is nothing. If by chance you were to begin getting real results they would most likely go sour and it would be highly problematic for you withou said preparations.

But it is a free world (sort of) so you do as you please. Ymmv.
smcj

Postby Adamantine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 pm

lkug.pa wrote:Plz guys, someone? I need help :(

Hi Lkug.pa, are you studying with a qualified Guru? If you have a root Guru to consult with, there is really no reason to announce or discuss doing a retreat here on a public forum of strangers. You should only discuss something like this with your Guru and follow their advice.

If you do not have a Guru that you have a relationship with where you can get concrete advice, or if you have no Guru at all, then I suggest you avoid doing a long anuttarayogatantra retreat until this changes. There are other types of retreats you could do that could be of great benefit.

If you need help finding a qualified Guru, perhaps people here can point you in the right direction.

If you do have a Guru, and you are already discussing this retreat with them, and you are looking to this internet forum to receive advice from unknown sources to confirm or deny hopes or fears, or possibly contradict your own Guru, I suggest this is not a great course of action.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Dear Lkug.pa,

How can you even consider doing a retreat (and six months is pretty long term) without knowing what you will be doing? :shrug:

I'll take it that you are doing a retreat on a certain practice. Let's not go into which practice exactly as a public forum is not the place for it. i'm going to ask some general questions: Will the retreat be in a group setting or are you going to be attmepting it on your own? Will you have a qualified teacher (or, at the very least, an experienced student that has completed the practice) guiding the retreat (or regularly checking up on you)? Have you received the prerequisites for the retreat practice (ritual reading of the practice, oral explanation of the practice and empowerment)?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby lkug.pa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:13 am

Guys, thank you to alls for your answers, yes afortunately I have a qualified Lama, but I didn't ask him because he will tell "Yes, go and do it". So my question here is if someone who made retreatments can explain me what's exately feels when are in one. The experience that I know I from a close friend which did a short one of fifteen days but this is far to be 6 months.

And my retreatments, better call intensive practice were of 3 days maximun, by the way now I have a good oportunity to do one because my life is a bit free of worries in this moment.

So, I that way what do you think based in your own experience?

gregkavarnos wrote:Dear Lkug.pa,
Will the retreat be in a group setting or are you going to be attmepting it on your own?

The retreatment wil be in a Dharma center.

Will you have a qualified teacher (or, at the very least, an experienced student that has completed the practice) guiding the retreat (or regularly checking up on you)?

Yes I have a teacher but he will not be the guide, one of his students (a Dorje Loppon and a good friend) will be the guide.

Have you received the prerequisites for the retreat practice (ritual reading of the practice, oral explanation of the practice and empowerment)?

I know the samayas and I guess that I can ussume it... no ritual reading, basic oral explanation adn also I read parts of a boring book that I couldnt understand at all.
My Lama has invite me to take the initiation before but I didn't take in that moment because it was to heavy for me, long, with a lot of samayas and complex, but now I fell more preprare.

Thank you!
lkug.pa

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:08 am

Okay, not receiving the empowerment... The retreat will still be of benefit, not the same benefit as doing it having received the empowerment, but it won't be a complete waste of time. Practice is practice after all!

But not having the lung for the practice??? For the mantra??? That means you have not been doing the practice outside of retreat, except in the context of group practice, right?

So I imagine your teacher will give the intiation again at the beginning of the retreat? At least the lung (ritual reading)?

Sorry but it seems to me that you are going into this ass first. What I mean is that normally one gets the ritual reading, the oral explanations and the empowerment, practices based on the samaya given during the empowerment, and then goes into retreat for the practice.

But if your teacher is cool with it, who am I question their decision?

I hope it works out well for you.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby kirtu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:05 pm

I have not done a six month retreat or even a month retreat. My longest retreat was probably a ten day retreat. Jumping from three days or a week to six months would probably not work. Perhaps you selected six months because in your schedule you have a six month window. If so: assuming from your avatar that you are following a Tibetan lineage - if you have not finished a ngondro, take the six months to do that. If you have then complete a series of shorter retreats like Chenresig (~ 1 month) and Green Tara (also ~ 1 month) , Manjushri followed by Vajrasattva and Guru Yoga. Of course this is also lineage dependent. Perhaps you would want to do six months of Padmasambhava or Jigten Sumgon or Milarepa. However I would advise breaking them up into essentially month sets because there is a major difference between 3 -7 days and 14 days and 30 days for most people.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby lkug.pa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:Okay, not receiving the empowerment... The retreat will still be of benefit, not the same benefit as doing it having received the empowerment, but it won't be a complete waste of time. Practice is practice after all!

But not having the lung for the practice??? For the mantra??? That means you have not been doing the practice outside of retreat, except in the context of group practice, right?

So I imagine your teacher will give the intiation again at the beginning of the retreat? At least the lung (ritual reading)?

Sorry but it seems to me that you are going into this ass first. What I mean is that normally one gets the ritual reading, the oral explanations and the empowerment, practices based on the samaya given during the empowerment, and then goes into retreat for the practice.

But if your teacher is cool with it, who am I question their decision?

I hope it works out well for you.

Thank you, I guess you're rigth. My daily practice is really short right now, orr at least I'm doing it short... I'm too lazy in this moment and I already had anuttara may be I should focus I'm my actual practice.
lkug.pa

Postby lkug.pa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm

kirtu wrote:I have not done a six month retreat or even a month retreat. My longest retreat was probably a ten day retreat. Jumping from three days or a week to six months would probably not work. Perhaps you selected six months because in your schedule you have a six month window. If so: assuming from your avatar that you are following a Tibetan lineage - if you have not finished a ngondro, take the six months to do that. If you have then complete a series of shorter retreats like Chenresig (~ 1 month) and Green Tara (also ~ 1 month) , Manjushri followed by Vajrasattva and Guru Yoga. Of course this is also lineage dependent. Perhaps you would want to do six months of Padmasambhava or Jigten Sumgon or Milarepa. However I would advise breaking them up into essentially month sets because there is a major difference between 3 -7 days and 14 days and 30 days for most people.

Kirt

Thank you Kirt, I guess that I should focus in my actual practice. The problem is that I cannot understand it at all, too difficult! For that reason and since I'm Sakya fellowship, I though in take the Lamdre with HHST and then do the 6 month retreatment in the practice. Anyway now I have more concerns lol, but I think your suggestion to do ngondro is good, and yes I'm planning a retreatment because in this moment of my life I have the time.

Thank you!
lkug.pa

Postby kirtu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 am

Well some of what you have said changes things. If this is a six month retreat connected with Lamdre and it is being conducted at a dharma center and it is being led by a good Sakya lama or teacher then I would do it if I could. However, in general this will be very difficult. So you must be determined to finish the retreat once you start.

If you are doing the retreat on your own then it is perhaps better to work up to it, etc.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Sigh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

What?! A 6-month retreat?
All you need is your body and the sky.
Definately consider it, forget about your spiritual progress / practise.
Spend some time to just be. This is the point of a retreat.
Some people are different. At different levels. However, it can be simplied as follows.

If you have trouble with your mind. Pay attention to your body.
If you a have problem with your body. Pay attention to the environment.
If you have a problem with your environment. Pay attention to the sky.
If you have a problem with the sky, just follow the moon.
Depends where you are.
Carry water, chop wood... get to know earth cycles. It's a very good idea.
Sigh

Postby smcj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Sigh wrote:What?! A 6-month retreat?
All you need is your body and the sky.
Definately consider it, forget about your spiritual progress / practise.
Spend some time to just be. This is the point of a retreat.
Some people are different. At different levels. However, it can be simplied as follows.

If you have trouble with your mind. Pay attention to your body.
If you a have problem with your body. Pay attention to the environment.
If you have a problem with your environment. Pay attention to the sky.
If you have a problem with the sky, just follow the moon.
Depends where you are.
Carry water, chop wood... get to know earth cycles. It's a very good idea.

Sounds more like a vacation than a retreat to me. :rolling:
smcj

Return to Personal Experience