Humane removal of small wasps nest

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Humane removal of small wasps nest

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Is it possible, if so how?

Got a small one going right under my front door, two small kids.

Really want to avoid killing something for my own convenience, I usually live and let live, especially with stuff like potter wasps.

These are the larger, more aggressive variety.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Humane removal of small wasps nest

Postby wisdom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Knock it down with a stick, then run! It will force them to consider relocating. I dont see how you could move the nest without being stung and attacked by them, nor if moving it would even be fruitful because I don't know how you would attach it to a tree or whatever, furthermore they might decide to rebuild anyways.

As for your kids, who hasn't been stung by a bee or wasp? As long as they are not allergic, just teach them to leave such creatures alone and that for the most part, they will leave you alone. Its not like wasps seek danger, they are just aggressive if they are actively bothered. It will show them that its important to value all life and to respect the homes, possessions and happiness of all living beings, even wasps. If they are stung, it will show them that sometimes, even if you are nice to something, it will still seek to harm you. This is as true of people as it is of wasps.

But I don't have kids, so what do I know?
wisdom

Postby Inge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Is it possible, if so how?

Really want to avoid killing something for my own convenience, I usually live and let live, especially with stuff like potter wasps.

They start putting their eggs in even from the start, so it is hard to avoid killing them at least. But if it will have to be removed, then better sooner than later, before it gets any bigger.
Inge

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Inge wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Is it possible, if so how?

They start putting their eggs in even from the start, so it is hard to avoid killing them at least. But if it will have to be removed, then better sooner than later, before it gets any bigger.

Well I tried to identify them, and ITHINK they are actually paper wasps, which I read are less agressive, so for now I'm going to try to let them live, but you are right I need to make the decision soon, as can see some hatching will be going on.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 pm

What are some practices that people know of if indeed I do have to remove it, I can of course say the six syllable mantra, pray for their favorable rebirth etc. is there a specific practice that people do in situations where they have to do a thing like this?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Dave The Seeker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:15 pm

If they are paper wasps they will continue to build a bigger and bigger nest.
There are times we have to remove another living beings home for the safety of our children or others.
You say its at your door, so if someone who is allergic happens to come by and get stung that wouldn't be a good thing.
Best of luck in your decision my friend

:namaste:
Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Dave The Seeker

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Well I tried to identify them, and ITHINK they are actually paper wasps, which I read are less agressive, so for now I'm going to try to let them live, but you are right I need to make the decision soon, as can see some hatching will be going on.

Potter wasps make mud nests for their young but don't live in them and the young don't hang around after emerging, so (1) they are rarely a problem and (2) destroying the nest only kills one egg or larva. Paper wasps are more like bees in that adults do live in the colony and defend it. Here in Australia they are quite aggressive.
If you tell me roughly where you live (country or state), I can probably give you a better idea. A photo would be better still.

Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Well I tried to identify them, and ITHINK they are actually paper wasps, which I read are less agressive, so for now I'm going to try to let them live, but you are right I need to make the decision soon, as can see some hatching will be going on.

Potter wasps make mud nests for their young but don't live in them and the young don't hang around after emerging, so (1) they are rarely a problem and (2) destroying the nest only kills one egg or larva. Paper wasps are more like bees in that adults do live in the colony and defend it. Here in Australia they are quite aggressive.
If you tell me roughly where you live (country or state), I can probably give you a better idea. A photo would be better still.

Kim

Washington sate, Looks like there is no way to directly upload a photo, so I assume I need to photobucket it or something, I did take one. Might be easiest if you're willing to gimme an email through pm so I can send as attachment. They are not potter wasps, I know what those look like.
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby shel » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Water will dissolve their paper nests and not harm them. But I guess it would harm their eggs in the nest.
shel

Postby Kim O'Hara » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Washington state, Looks like there is no way to directly upload a photo, so I assume I need to photobucket it or something, I did take one. Might be easiest if you're willing to gimme an email through pm so I can send as attachment. They are not potter wasps, I know what those look like.

Here are four sites which between them should tell you what you've got and what to do:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Pests/BeesandWasps.aspx
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb0643/eb0643.pdf
http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/Yellowjackets.html
http://www.bentler.us/eastern-washington/animals/insects/wasps/default.aspx

As for uploading photos, I will demonstrate with the prettiest wasp from the last of those sites:
Scroll down and look below the "Submit" button. Click on "Upload attachment" > Choose file (from your desktop or wherever) > upload > place inline (in "Posted attachments" pane). You're done - the image will appear in place of this text "attachment=0]green-cuckoo-wasp.jpg[/attachment" when you submit the post.
green-cuckoo-wasp.jpg
green-cuckoo-wasp.jpg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Then "Preview" to make sure it's in the right place :emb: and "Submit"

:twothumbsup:

Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:42 am

Heh sorry, didn't look close enough!

These are the dudes.
Attachments
wizasps.jpg
wizasps.jpg (169.43 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Kim O'Hara » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:50 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:These are the dudes.

Paper wasps - no doubt at all. They are not aggressive as such (ours aren't, anyway) but they do defend their nest vigorously and their sting is painful. Check the links I gave before and you should find out more about them.

The colony will get bigger until the weather gets too cool for them, so the sooner you act, the better.
You might be able to move them by cupping a box over the whole nest, slipping a stiff sheet of tin or plastic between the box and the wall to act as a well-sealed lid, and taking them to bushland to release them. If you do it in the early hours of morning, when they're very sleepy, you may not even get stung ... that is a warning! :tongue:
But they will probably die anyway because you won't be able to put the nest anywhere suitable. In your position, I would probably just say, "Sorry, guys, better luck next time," squirt the whole nest with insecticide (again choose a cooler, dark time) and dispose of it. Sometimes it's just the best option.

Good luck!

Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 am

Thanks for the help Kim.

I think for now I will keep an eye on it's size, and if it grows by much it will be time to make the decision:(.

Any specific practices ritual practices from folks regarding pest removal would also be appreciated!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Kim O'Hara » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Thanks for the help Kim.
I think for now I will keep an eye on it's size, and if it grows by much it will be time to make the decision :(

Also judge by how close the nest is to people as they move around the house. If no-one is likely to accidentally bump the nest or walk into wasps as they hang around it, you may not have a problem. I had one nest just under the edge of an outdoor table, within inches of my bare knee every time I had a cup of coffee for a week or so until I happened to notice it ... no problems, fortunately, but I would have been stung if I moved my knee the wrong way. :o
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Any specific practices ritual practices from folks regarding pest removal would also be appreciated!

Seriously, I would probably just say, "Sorry, guys, better luck next time," and mean it. It's not as formal as most folk would like to be but contains all the necessary elements: an expression of regret for the harm I'm about to do, and best wishes for their future lives.

Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm

If anybody wanted my 2 cents... I lived with a yellow jackets' nest right under my roof, worked in the garden right under their nose... and they proved the perfect neighbours. No stings at all, and in fact no attack attempts whatsoever. If you and the children aren't allergic to the sting, maybe it's worth to try to live and let live?
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby Ayu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:51 pm

I found this site:

http://www.aktion-wespenschutz.de/Schut ... herung.htm

(I hope the translation functions)
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby maybay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Ask the spirit of the wasps to leave. Tell them why you need to remove them. Say where you'll be taking them, how it will be a better arrangement for the both of you etc. Apologise for the inconvenience and pray they manage to make do in their new home. (Do this all out loud so they can hear.) Tell them you'll come back occasionally to check on them, and do. Dialogue.
You could even throw in some Dharma. Suffering of existence, age of turbulence, hope even for animals, etc.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Well, they are staying for now. The nest is quite small right now, and there is no real worry of bumping it..so I think for now we can coexist:)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Return to Open Dharma