Buddhist Monk Who Died in 1927 is ALIVE

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Buddhist Monk Who Died in 1927 is ALIVE

Postby Roland » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:02 pm

The title of the article is slightly misleading.

In 1926 Itigelov advised the Buddhist monks to leave Russia, since ‘the red teaching was coming’ (Itigelov himself never left Russia). In 1927, being 75, he told lamas to begin meditation, since he said he was preparing to die. Lamas did not want to perform this meditation because Itigelov was still alive. Thus, Itigelov began to meditate by himself, lamas joined him and soon he died.

Ititgelov left a testament where he asked to bury him as he was, sitting in lotus pose in the cedar box on traditional cemetery. It was done. There was also a statement, where he asked other monks to exhume him after several years. (This is the exciting point – this means he knew that his body would be preserved).

more here
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
Roland

Re: Buddhist Monk Who Died in 1927 is ALIVE

Postby plwk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 am

I came across this some time back. They use salt I should think. Reminds me of the Catholic incorruptibles, the Japanese Sokushinbutsu, the various 'flesh bodies' found in China & Taiwan (I saw two of such on Mt Jiuhua in Anhui Province recently this year and hope to visit the 6th Ch'an Patriarch Dajian Huineng's in Northern Guangdong) and the occasional weird cases of exhumed 'fresh' bodies. Similar discussion here
plwk

Postby Roland » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:37 am

plwk wrote: Similar discussion here

Oh, I did read that topic once. I vaguely thought I had but could not remember which forum it was on.

:thanks:
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
Roland

Postby lobster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:25 am

lobster

Postby Roland » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:09 am

I figured it was something along those lines.
- Persian proverb
Roland

Postby Tara » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:47 am

Off topic posts removed.
It's not a competition. It's a choice.
Tara
Tara
Site Admin

Return to News & Current Events