Defiled mind

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Defiled mind

Postby spiritnoname » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:22 am

Mental afflictions come up easier when we are not getting what we want. Maybe we need some more sleep, maybe food, maybe something else. Afflictions come up easier when we are experiencing a desperation. I'm not sure why this is, I just wanted to mention it right now because I feel pretty content (pizza/tea/pumpkin pie and watching southpark) and it reminded me of this really useful bit of information for combating our afflictions.

So like, if a affliction has it's hold on you, try taking a nap, eating, take a shower or whatever, you might just be able to interrupt the affliction and while it is not warping your view of things, take note of just how much it distorts and reevaluate your activity.

I :heart: pizza/tea/pie/southpark
spiritnoname

Re: Defiled mind

Postby ground » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:49 pm

spiritnoname wrote:Mental afflictions come up easier when we are not getting what we want.

Well perhaps better so say "when we do not get what is really necessary" "really necessary" here stands for the contrary to "caused by desire".

spiritnoname wrote:Maybe we need some more sleep, maybe food, maybe something else.

Sleep may be necessary but also a desire. Food may be necessary but also a desire.

spiritnoname wrote:Afflictions come up easier when we are experiencing a desperation.

I feel that affliction is the effect of giving in to desire. However affliction is not the effect when doing the really necessary.

Kind regards
ground

Postby spiritnoname » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:24 pm

TMing,

I think about things in a different way, I think of them in accordance with Buddha Shakyamuni's teaching on the four nutriments.

These four nutriments, sustenance for a being are physical food, contact, intellectual intention, and consciousness, are taught in a few places in the Nikayas, one is the Puttamansa Sutta, the famous sutta that uses the parable of the son's flesh.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

My idea, and as I've heard a monk say, is that these things are necessary foods for a being, and without them there is a sense of desperation, there is a lacking, it can cause a state of depression and they are necessary for life.

These four foods are things we search for constantly in samsara and some people fulfill their needs for food in unskillful ways, for instance some people shop to fulfill,....

Hmm,. what I'm writing really isn't clear and concise,.. I'm tired, I'll come back to it later haha.

I might not need sleep, but if I don't get the sleep I want afflictions may arise. :rolling:
spiritnoname

Postby spiritnoname » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Haha, my tired post was so confused and badly directed.

But yeah, even if I don't get what I just want, things that really aren't necessary, because I am feeding off them in ways that do need to be satisfied one way or another, I'll be more likely to have a warped view,.. Not sure why.
spiritnoname

Postby fragrant herbs » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:36 am

spiritnoname wrote:Mental afflictions come up easier when we are not getting what we want. Maybe we need some more sleep, maybe food, maybe something else. Afflictions come up easier when we are experiencing a desperation. I'm not sure why this is, I just wanted to mention it right now because I feel pretty content (pizza/tea/pumpkin pie and watching southpark) and it reminded me of this really useful bit of information for combating our afflictions.

So like, if a affliction has it's hold on you, try taking a nap, eating, take a shower or whatever, you might just be able to interrupt the affliction and while it is not warping your view of things, take note of just how much it distorts and reevaluate your activity.

i would feel somewhat content right now with a chocolate sunday. i was going to say something more, but i have a headache and so i reevaluated what I had said and decided to stick with the sunday.
fragrant herbs

Postby spiritnoname » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:30 am

Chocolate is good for headaches.
spiritnoname

Postby ground » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:47 am

SNO,

spiritnoname wrote: I think about things in a different way, ...

Well this is the "personal experience" section.

spiritnoname wrote:I think of them in accordance with Buddha Shakyamuni's teaching on the four nutriments.

These four nutriments, sustenance for a being are physical food, contact, intellectual intention, and consciousness, are taught in a few places in the Nikayas, one is the Puttamansa Sutta, the famous sutta that uses the parable of the son's flesh.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

There it reads
"In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded. When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended, there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back again to this world.

Kind regards
ground

Postby spiritnoname » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm

TMing, is to be regarded in what way?

It's interesting how you cut out the main point of what Buddha Shakyamuni was saying.

My point was that these things are necessary for a being, and not having them brings about a sense of desperation.

The larger view is that this constant need to feed and samsara being such that we will even do horrible things to feed, is a disgusting thing that should be feared, and with this view one should put an end to feeding.
spiritnoname

Postby ground » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm

spiritnoname wrote: My point was that these things are necessary for a being, and not having them brings about a sense of desperation.

My point was to discern necessity and desire.

Kind regards
ground

Postby spiritnoname » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Hmm,.. ok
spiritnoname

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:27 pm

spiritnoname wrote: The larger view is that this constant need to feed and samsara being such that we will even do horrible things to feed, is a disgusting thing that should be feared, and with this view one should put an end to feeding.

No, great Buddhist masters have great control over themselves. Milarepa didn't do anything horrible while he was starving in a cave. Shakyamuni didn't do anything unethical while he was undergoing extreme fasting. Their dedication to the Dharma overpowered and uprooted any of their other desires.

Some Bodhisattvas have even offered their bodies as food to starving animals such as tigers.

Sometimes people are in extreme situations and don't have the opportunity to just have a nap or a meal.
Luke

Postby spiritnoname » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:20 pm

I didn't say lacking one of the nutriments causes defilements. I said defilements are more likely to arise, that is my experience.
spiritnoname

Postby kirtu » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:07 pm

spiritnoname wrote:Mental afflictions come up easier when we are not getting what we want. ...

Good idea - but probably mental afflictions will increase over time if we watch too much SouthPark.

I find strong afflictions strongly correlated with holy days on the Tibetan lunar calendar. When affliction strongly arises it seems to be timed with the new or full moon and with the four major holy days.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Personal Experience