Mara

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Mara

Post by Ayu »

Green5 wrote:
Ayu wrote: I think they look at him. They confess their mistakes and they try to be concious about the three poisons "ignorance, greed and hatered". They don't let him work undercover.
Buddha said something like: "I see you" or "I know you" to Mara - an this weakend Mara to unconditional surrender.
It may have been easy for Buddha to let go the Mara problem. I personally faced the following problems which made it very difficult to me to let go the Devil problem.

1. Feeling his emotions made him so realistic. It is not like Pink Panther. He talks directly to you and you can feel his emotions.
2. He is so spoiled that I couldn't forget him. I entered in a loop. I could not forget him and animated him continuously. I had to let go resistance to his incredible behaviour.
3. I had a baby sitter character. I baby sitted him. I let go my baby sitter character and let him go.
4. The fear of other people. They were probably accusing me for messing with the Devil (telepathically).

So, I don't know about Buddha, but in my case the process was highly difficult.

Thanks,

Pars
Hi Pars,
I think, probably, it was a problem BECAUSE you don't know about the Buddha.

"Devil" or "Mara" are just names. For what? Is it an energy from outer space? In Buddha's view, they are just emanations of the mind. Please distinguish carefully: this "Devil" doesn't come out of your "Self" ( because if one examines it, one can see, there is very less that one can call a "self") - but it is a part of the aspects of the own mind. Everybody has this, most people are not in contact with it in this vivid way.

I recommend for you urgently to read and work with the book " Allione, Tsultrim (2008). Feeding Your Demons: Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict. Little Brown and Company;. ISBN 978-0-316-01313-0 "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsultrim_Allione

It is very good, that you came to ask about this problem in a buddhistic forum. :namaste:
Green5

Post by Green5 »

Ayu wrote:
Green5 wrote:
Ayu wrote: I think they look at him. They confess their mistakes and they try to be concious about the three poisons "ignorance, greed and hatered". They don't let him work undercover.
Buddha said something like: "I see you" or "I know you" to Mara - an this weakend Mara to unconditional surrender.
It may have been easy for Buddha to let go the Mara problem. I personally faced the following problems which made it very difficult to me to let go the Devil problem.

1. Feeling his emotions made him so realistic. It is not like Pink Panther. He talks directly to you and you can feel his emotions.
2. He is so spoiled that I couldn't forget him. I entered in a loop. I could not forget him and animated him continuously. I had to let go resistance to his incredible behaviour.
3. I had a baby sitter character. I baby sitted him. I let go my baby sitter character and let him go.
4. The fear of other people. They were probably accusing me for messing with the Devil (telepathically).

So, I don't know about Buddha, but in my case the process was highly difficult.

Thanks,

Pars
Hi Pars,
I think, probably, it was a problem BECAUSE you don't know about the Buddha.

"Devil" or "Mara" are just names. For what? Is it an energy from outer space? In Buddha's view, they are just emanations of the mind. Please distinguish carefully: this "Devil" doesn't come out of your "Self" ( because if one examines it, one can see, there is very less that one can call a "self") - but it is a part of the aspects of the own mind. Everybody has this, most people are not in contact with it in this vivid way.

I recommend for you urgently to read and work with the book " Allione, Tsultrim (2008). Feeding Your Demons: Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict. Little Brown and Company;. ISBN 978-0-316-01313-0 "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsultrim_Allione

It is very good, that you came to ask about this problem in a buddhistic forum. :namaste:
Folks you look so negative from outside ...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Because i call it "problem" instead of "difficulty" ?
This I do, because i know people who became seriously mentally sick about such stuff... I'm sorry. :shrug:
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Green5 wrote:Thank you all. I am in fact not talking about meditation. I am working on healing my sunconscious. I just wondered what Buddhists did about Mara.

Cheers,

Pars
Buddhists do meditation to "heal their subconscious". Buddhists do meditation to deal with and defeat mara. The Buddha defeated mara while sitting under the Bodhi tree doing meditation. "Prajna" or wisdom is what defeats mara and this wisdom is attained or realized via "Samadhi" both of which are cultivated with meditation.

:namaste:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Green5

Post by Green5 »

seeker242 wrote:
Green5 wrote:Thank you all. I am in fact not talking about meditation. I am working on healing my sunconscious. I just wondered what Buddhists did about Mara.

Cheers,

Pars
Buddhists do meditation to "heal their subconscious". Buddhists do meditation to deal with and defeat mara. The Buddha defeated mara while sitting under the Bodhi tree doing meditation. "Prajna" or wisdom is what defeats mara and this wisdom is attained or realized via "Samadhi" both of which are cultivated with meditation.

:namaste:
Thank you all.

Pars
lobster

Post by lobster »

Take care Pars. Hope things work out well for you . .

:twothumbsup:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I found another classification of Maras for you to ponder over.
Again there are four demons:

1. The demon of impededness - the demon of discursive thoughts based in attachment and aversion.
2. The demon of unimpededness - the five poisons of joy, suffering, fear, threat and concepts.
3. The demon of aggrandisement - clinging to the notion that pure is good and conceit in regards to signs of spiritual progress.
4. The demon of ego clinging - grasping and clinging to a notion of self.
king of demons.jpg
king of demons.jpg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
king of demons2.jpg
king of demons2.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Green5

Post by Green5 »

Thanks Greg.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”